King Charles III Collector Club Model

Anyone else managed to pre order the latest collector club model? Took a few goes but my order went through in the end. Apparently theres only a handful left. I wasn’t sure at first but with the discount and Hornby points, it’s only about £70. I missed out on the Queen Elizabeth II purple model so I’ll settle for this instead. Still on the lookout for ‘70’ at a reasonable price!

I think what is meant by discount, is that the model is being offered at a discounted price for Collector Club Members.

Looking at the price of Class 66 loco's currently available in the Hornby range, I would guess(??) this loco comes with a 21pin TXS decoder fitted?

Yes, when considering the price of a 21 pin TXS sound decoder alone, this does seem a good deal.

I've since learnt (& remembered) that Club membership used to give you 10% discount but that seems to have gone with Hornby Rewards now being introduced. Perhaps there are some older memberships which still have the 10%.

Since the loco’s product code includes TXS and the product information states that it comes sound fitted (including the national anthem) - it seems a fairly safe bet that it is the ‘DCC Ready’ label in Tech Specs that is the inaccuracy.

I assume it comes with the chip but as I’m still running DC I’m not overly fussed.

Indeed you do get 10% discount. I only joined at the end of last year because it was worth doing for the discount on the Dublo Scotsman. In total, after the 10% discount and points from the Scotsman purchase, the Royal 66 has only cost me £70. Considering that’s the cost of a chip, it’s a good deal!

It is confusing so I rang.. it comes tsx sound fitted.. so it's a bargain really.. your getting a 21 pin chip and 15%back in points.

Just a pity there's no prototypical 66 they could have quickly produced as it's a bit of a quick and ready .. feel it would have looked better if at the very least they put electrical warning flashes on and an orange line for the top sides.

I re-joined the club recently, so looks like I missed out on the 10% discounts confused, but do get the new 15% reward points thumbsup.

So hopefully this model will come with the TXS decoder, if not, option to return I guess.

I'm certainly interested in it but cannot help wonder if they going back to another toy era. They should have just numbered it based on the real class 66 numbers, not on a date which annoys me as it just looks confusing in my opinion. Certainly, not a patch on the class 67 Diamond Jubilee they did, now that was special, even detailed with the orange cantrail line. Mind you, orange and royal purple would clash wink!

I'm not a fan of the the toy like railroad 66 nor this idea of buying to store ,display or shove in a cupboard so mine will be getting electric warning flashes cantrail lines and a very light umber and brake dust air paint around the chassis and bogies.

She may also get a suitable headboard and the usual cab end enhancements these 66 do require

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All though it's not unheard of in this case I would say very very unlikely.

Mainly because the event was a very much a one off occurrence that for some reason caught Hornby a bit on the back foot.

Secondly because with its 21 pin decoder included which most had worked out from the code it was probably rather underpriced even for a (let's face it) railroad 66.

• 1 month later...

Call me cynical but I think that articles only been put in to tempt you to buy a different 66.

The coronation 66 sold out practically over the weekend of the coronation. Surely such a small run magazine hadn't been committed to print by then.

Wait for release day and check if any come in to stock. Some pre orders won't commit to the sale.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered one, but I cannot remember, was it a Limited Edition or Club Exclusive? On the basis that Hornby, as any other company, are there to make money, I suspect that as demand was so high - I recall it sold out very quickly - they decided to make it generally available.