TT:120 - Loco's and Rolling Stock

RDS

I’d like to suggest a Eurostar model. Either the BR 373/e300 or the BR 374/e320 would make excellent models! They each have advantages.

Advantages of the BR 374/e320

This is the latest generation Eurostar EMU launched in the 2010s. These trains are currently the fastest in Britain.  They are the flagship of the Eurostar brand. Millions of riders each year take passage on these trains. Beyond Britain, they journey to France, Belgium, and The Netherlands. This means modelers from those regions could also buy and model with these trains. Both Hornby TT120 and Arnold TT120 could see interest increase with this locomotive being sold. Another advantage of the e320 is the fact that the train shares the same body and many of the same components as the German DB 407 and 408 ICE 3 trains. In the coming years the DB 408 ICE 3 train will become one of the most prolific ICE trains on German rails with 90 sets manufactured by 2029. With careful design in the tooling stage, Arnold could sell versions of the 407/408 to those modeling German ICE trains. No other TT manufacturer is currently selling DB 407/408 trains, presenting a unique opportunity along with the potential of BR 374/e320. 

Advantages of BR 373/e300

This is the old stalwart that launched the Eurostar service in the 1990s. While it is not the newest or fastest, it has its own advantages. Because it has decades of service life, it has seen multiple liveries over the years. This means that different versions could be sold to address different market segments. Its longer service life also allows modeling over a longer span of time. It also holds significant nostalgia as the original Eurostar EMU and the original face of passenger services. 

I personally lean towards the BR 374/e320 because it has a longer life ahead of it, and because of the possibility for DB 407/408 ICE 3 models. This would give Hornby/Arnold a significant German EMU and a marketable EMU for Britain, France, Belgium, and The Netherlands. But either model would be a great addition!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wanting to build my layout around LMS as this was my local train operator back in the day (along with LNER) so I would like to see more LMS items. Also more BR Executive swallow livery items.

LMS Fowler 4P, LMS Class 8F, LMS 3 Plank wagon, LMS Brake Van, LMS 0-4-0 shunter

LNER Gresley Coaches, Class J83 0-6-0

BR Class 37, 50 and 08 in Executive Livery

Thank you!

Greetings Tim!

I can actually give you some good news in relation to TT120 LMS locos. Beyond the obvious one in the pipeline arriving in the coming months (those beautiful Duchesses!), Hornby have confirmed a few other LMS locos are coming. If I had to guess, these locos probably won’t arrive until 2025 at the earliest. They might come sooner, but Hornby has lots of projects in the pipeline. We might learn more in April. Still, they are in the works and we know they are a priority for Hornby…

1) LMS Black 5

2) LMS Princess Royal Class

We also know an additional small-tank loco is in the works beyond the J94 and 5700 Pannier. It would be sensible if it were LMS… But we’ll have to wait and see! I do like your suggestions of further LMS freight- especially the all-important brake van! We also know LNER Gresley Coaches are in the works too. So your wishlist is well on its way!

Cheers!

There’s so many good suggestions here so far but myself I love the 80’s because that’s where I grew up and had my 00 model train sets!!

Id like to see a rail freight red stripe 37 and some rail freight wagons including a br 20ton brake van in different colours.

but also a class 40,20 and 25 would go well in tt I think one of my wishes would be a 24 as I think there an excellent model to do with so much information available to model them.

im really looking forward to seeing what hornby announce in April and the future to come

Thank you to Generic Hornby Username for the reply, have the LMS on pre-order and look forward to the others grinning

As my last with list was for the LMS, I'd like to do a more modern one.

APT - If possible (had this in the early 80s my first train set) in 5 or 7 car sets and add on coaches.

As East Midlands Railways are my local operator I would like to see the following:

Class 222 - In EMR colour (if possible) and add on coaches (to make 5 or 7 car units like the APT in OO)

Class 170 - In EMR colour (if possible) in a 2 or 3 coach variant or options to add extra.

Class 810 - In EMR colour (if possible) and add on coaches (to make 5 or 7 car units)

Modern Freight

Flatbed wagons to take standard freight containers and various containers with different markings.

A lot to ask for I know but I can hope :)

You’re on the money, BritishRail! Class 60 is part of Hornby’s plan for TT120. Last we heard it was going to be phase 4, though that is subject to change. Things are really quite murky right now. We know the HSTs, Class 50s, The Duchesses, and Class 66s will be here by this summer. But after that it’s hard to figure out what loco is coming when. But rest assured the Class 60 is on the list!

The 3 liveries we know are:

1) BR Livery -Era 8

2) EWS Livery- Era 9

3) GBRF Livery- Era 11

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

A BR 16T steel mineral wagon, BR design ventilated van and BR design 20T brake van 

Hornby to reproduce all the Mk1s offered in OO in the smaller scale

The newly retooled 4VEP done in TT

Could Hornby test the market for an Electrostar as a train set item and as a standalone item in the range?

They're the predominant traction type in Kent where Hornby's based, (you could measure up an example at Ramsgate), they've appeared in many liveries and 3rd rail, AC and dual voltage versions, as well as detail differences between the sub-classes.

Many people will relate to them because of commuting and other travel over the London and SE region.

• Like 2

With multiple classes based on a similar bodyshell and seeing use on a variety of duties, I’d suggest that the Vossloh/Stadler locomotives would be a good tooling investment:

• Class 68 diesel Bo-Bo (34 in traffic - various liveries)
  • Class 88 electric/diesel dual mode Bo-Bo (10 in traffic)
  • Class 93 tri-mode Bo-Bo (30 ordered/being delivered)
  • Class 99 electric/diesel dual mode Co-Co (30 ordered)

While built to a larger loading gauge, these are all similar to the Eurolight locomotives that are seen on the Continent, so could be a combined Arnold/Hornby TT development investment to spread costs.

Edited by Moccasin
Spelling & correction to fleet numbers

36 minutes ago, Andrew-1262465 said:

Got to be seeing the old faithful of Class 31, 37 and 47.

Class 25 would be useful as would some wagons that fit around  the 80/90 era such as brake van etc.

Classes 31, 37 and 47 are all planned in later phases. Maybe some news, at least of the 37, in 2nd April’s TT120 range announcement.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going LNER with my layout, would suggest the following:

• Locomotives
    • J72 or J83
    • J36
    • V1 / V3
    • V2
    • A3 in black would help in the interim to haul wagons on a temporary basis
  • Coaches
    • Gresley Teak Coaches
  • Wagons
    • 5 plank wagons with coke rails
    • LNER Cattle Wagon
    • 5 plank 'Newbattle' Lothian Coal Co Wagon.
    • Conflat with Furniture container

I'm most interested in anything that's run on the London - Dartford lines in the last 50 years.

Class 376 Electrostars 

Class 456/466 Networkers

Class 421 and 423 slam doors

In their various liveries of Southeastern, Connex, Network Southeast and BR blue. It's all good.

If there were to be HS1, Elizabeth line, or Eurostars then I'm sure I could squeeze these in on a line as well, I mean that's what TT:120 is for. 🙂 

Edited by James-546333
  • Thanks 1

Please prioritise running quality and reliability over finickity detail and ensure locos are repairable and parts available...seems seems just about OK so far..

It would be great if Hornby don't repeat the situation that prevailed in your 00 for so many years(and still to an extent) where there were about 5 or 6 different big express locos for the Big 4/BR,a few tanks and no tender goods loco...its why I model US Ho...but I've been tempted to try your TT as its an interesting sideline.

I'll be looking for LNER/ER...I'll second Craigs list above for sure.

J52 J50 J6 J39 J11 J27 J35 ...any of the numerous goods loco choices..  I would have no issues with a well running generic mechanism underneath them that would also work for other roads and eras.

It would also help grow the scale if/when production settles and you have the capacity you made some mechanisms available on their own to encourage small manufacturers and 3D producers to come up with bodies to fit...

but if the Hornby past is anything to go by all we'll see is endless iterations of A1,2,3,4 and a W1 to run with our J94 or kings and Castles to run with a Pannier etc

In that case I probably won't be the only person boxing it all up eventually and maybe getting it out some day for hypothetical grandkids to wreck.....or as a curiosity to show some guy with a basement full of O scale PRR...

I've already invested..I have an A3 and an A4..plus rolling stock .I will buy the J94 (though it would be far from my first choice tank)and more rolling stock as well as the wagons from PECO....I will back your development with purchases and I will certainly give it a good few years to see what comes down the pike...but long term I won't waste my time building an extensive layout just to run 10 A3's,5 A4's and a J94.....

I wish you every success and I am fully in for the next few years as clearly so are many others (including PECO and those who are already rolling out lineside buildings etc)....please don't let us down!

...and remember the advice the great Wenman Bassett-Lowke reputedly gave to his sales staff....

Don't worry about the child,concentrate on the father,he's the one who wants the model railway...

Edited by USRA

Unfortunately @USRA you have included every manufacturer’s dilemma:

• customers that want ‘headliners’ Vs those who want ‘workhorses’.
• customers that want a large variety of different eras/regions/fuel types/etc Vs those who want a decent range within a particular era/region/etc.
• customers that want an absence of fragility Vs those who want maximum detail.  
• customers that want user serviceability & common parts Vs those who are disappointed by compromises & micro millimetre imperfections.
• and finally… customers that want models from the dawn of time Vs those that want models from their lifetime!

Who’d want to be a manufacturer? 🤷‍♂️

Unsurprisingly the choices made will continue to be those they believe will result in the most profit.  Unfortunately most companies seem to believe that ‘made to last’ & ‘user serviceable’ are the least profitable notions ever conceived! 🙁

• Like 1

...all very accurate points indeed......I suppose I am thinking long term here....by all means churn out the big iron in hundreds of different liveries but do try to introduce workhorses too.....I think thats how Bachmann got their wind...introducing black locos and Hornby suddenly realised there was a whole other market beyond the one they'd complacently served since the 50's.....result is the 00 brigade are well very well served at the moment....all the glamour jobs they want but plenty of mundane stuff..I suppose our best hope is that other manufacturers contribute their bit and don't sit back leaving us to hope a solo TT run by Hornby pays off....kudos to PECO,there's a manufacturer that innovates slowly but surely,almost always successfully and is already in the TT game...

Should point out I'm not expecting a flood of what only I'd like,its very important for sales and therefore the future of TT that introductions are spread across every interest...Co-Bo,Pendolino,Sprinters etc....bring them on bit by bit..!...I'd be happy with one workhorse in the next decade!

Re made to last etc my Grandfather at one time stocked Lines Bros toys amongst many other things....about 20 yrs ago a very early Jinty set was found dumped in a wicker basket during renovations....apparently a trade sample in a window display when the range was coming on stream....the carbon was worn entirely from the brushes....it ran smoothly,slowly and quietly after new brushes,a deep clean and oiling....

right,I'm off to polish my Model T.....😇

• Like 1

Personally I’d love to see Hornby make some chassis/mechanisms available separately - to increase modelling opportunities.

However if this is done, they will need to separate the items produced for modellers, from those intended as spare parts against warranty failure - to prevent modellers grabbing the entire stock, leaving any RTR failures as expensive ornaments.

• Like 1

Class 91 and Mk4s please - several livery options to keep Hornby busy for a while!

• Executive
  • GNER
  • National Express
  • East Coast
  • Virgin
  • LNER
  • LNER/executive mashup with the oxblood red replacing the dark grey

IMG_0388.jpeg

Edited by Moccasin
Added photo
  • Like 2