TT:120 - Loco's and Rolling Stock

RDS

This new thread has been raised at the request of the Head of Brand - Hornby, with particular reference to new models that members would like to see added to the Hornby range. The same caveat will apply as to any other items in the wishlist section, regarding no guarantees or feedback but if enough interest in particular models is apparent, it will help Hornby with future decisions.

This thread has been made 'sticky' so that it stays at the top of the wishlist section. Members are welcome to repost any suggestion that has already been made to the wishlist section previously, into this thread if it is appropriate.

Please limit posts to just a description of the item required, including livery if appropriate and note that this thread is for TT:120 only.

A minor variation to some upcoming later phase models would be a Class 47 in Scotrail livery, along with matching Mk3s and a Mk2f DBSO.

The DBSO would be a tooling change on the Mk2f BSO but could also be produced in InterCity, Anglia Railways, DRS & Network Rail yellow liveries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_Brake_Standard_Open

To accompany all the early era diesels, a Class 86 electric would be good too but that might be rather more work.

While Era 4 Mk1 parcels vans are in the TT brochure, adding later versions in blue/grey, all blue and also some TPO coaches would be great. The parcels coaches would go well with Class 31 etc.

Adding a Class 40 or 45 would broaden the classic diesel range too.

This is a longshot! If you are interested in expanding TT120 into the Irish market the CIE 141 class would be the way to do it. You could also do a 121 on the same chassis as it is essentially the single cab version of the 141.

Southern Region!

Merchant Navy & Battle of Britain, both in air streamed and rebuilt. Schools class. N15, Q1, USA and A1X.

The ubiquitous 2,3&4MT tanks and standard classes (of my childhood holidays to preserved railways)

Class 33, Class 24.

Class 73

Class 201-203

Class 204 205

Obviously appropriate stock to accompany.

A turntable for those big A4's and Princess Coronation's

(BR late crest fan so almost anything can be run together, not fussed by historical accuracy, just having fun)

And those lovely concrete art deco streamline moderne style buildings (like the original Triang TT)

Above moved from my October 2022 post in the TT120 forum.

New thoughts:

Streamline Coronation

Blue Pullman HST

And all of the above in DCC Sound to go with the lovely new controller on my phone.

Class 08 DCC Sound 😜

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this is going to be quite a tall order!

Locomotives:

Class 31/1 - in BR Civil Engineers "Dutch" and Railfreight grey (original and revised triple-grey with sub-sector markings).

Class 31/4 - BR blue, InterCity Mainline and Regional Railways

Class 37s - BR Large Logo and various BR sector colours

Class 47s - various BR sector colours

Class 50 - Large logo blue with Laira-style black roofing.

Class 60s in several other of the BR Trainload Freight sector colours (Coal, Metals and Petroleum).

Multiple units:

Class 101

Class 153

Class 156

All in Provincial and Regional Railways colours.

Coaching stock:

BR Mark One buffet (blue/grey and InterCity)

BR Mark One Full Brake (blue/grey and InterCity)

BR Mark 2a/b/c stock (blue/grey, Network SouthEast and Regional Railways)

BR NPCC stock in Royal Mail or Res/Parcels grey/red.

Wagon stock:

HEA hoppers

OAA open wagons

SAA steel carriers

PCA Cement wagons

OTA log carriers

TEA tankers

ZCV engineering wagons

Shark Brake Van (Civil-Engineers "Dutch" yellow/grey)

BR 20 tonne Brake Van ("Dutch" or Railfreight)

How about 1:76 scale Locos & Carriages running on TT tracks ?

This would represent Narrow Gauge railways. eg IOM and others that use a 914 mm track (3' track)

914 / 76 = 12 mm ie TT track.

There are a number of static models available of IOM stream locos and trams in 1:76 scale.

Peter

Royal Mail Travelling Post Office complete train set from Era 2/3/4 in TT120 would be nice.

ATT120 turntable with Roundhouse Engine shed(s) desirable.

Maybe Era 1 locomotives in DCC and sound if not to small, Patents or Patentee locos in TT120.

Buildings with 'GPO' signage for us who remember the General Post Office brand on telecoms and Royal mail buildings and vehicles.

More of a dream list than a wishlist.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been some great suggestions so far! My layout is set around 1980, so BR Blue TOPS era is what I'm most interested in.

Priorities for me are:

1) BR. 20 ton Brake Vans (CAR/CAO/CAP)- This one seems to be a "bread and butter" option. These vans are essential for many train formations and shunting. They also saw many liveries over the years allowing for multiple versions. This one is probably most important.

2) MK I. in BR Blue- With the existing tooling already created, it should be affordable while adding significant utility to modelers. A BR Blue MK I Buffet would be particularly excellent.

3) More TOPS-era freight wagons both vacuum and air braked

4) BR Blue Parcel Wagons- As others mentioned, this would be excellent.

Those 4 points are some of the ones I think are most reasonable and most pressing. If I'm dreaming:

1) Class 121/122- Either of the Bubble Cars would be a great!

2) Class 20- The Class 20 is a workhorse that has seen many liveries in its decades of service. It also made its way to the continent, meaning that continental TT modelers could add it to their collection. A win-win for British modelers and continental modelers.

3) APT- This one might be a stretch, but it would be cool. The tilt action of the OO model could be jettisoned for a more traditional model. It would be a compromise, but I'm not sure how well the tilt would work on the smaller scale. This would also help keep prices lower.

4) Other DMUs- More DMUs would be great

• 4 weeks later...

Looking through suggestions so far and the existing OO range, just to add a few more:

Diesel/electric

• Class 56 in BR Blue, large logo, railfreight (coal) and EWS - to go with those upcoming HAAs and TTAs
  • Class 40 D200 in green (NRM tie up) & in BR Blue
  • Class 91 & Mk4s to accompany the Hitachi 800s, HSTs and LNER pacifics (would love to see the revised LNER livery with ox-blood replacing intercity grey)
  • as we’re on the East Coast, a Class 55 Deltic..
  • Class 52 Western
  • 86 and/or 90 with Mk3 DVT to allow WCML & Anglia expresses
  • modern bogie hopper wagons and container wagons (latter could potentially use Arnold tooling)
  • a repeat ask for Mk1s in Blue Grey

Steam

• Tornado
  • Southern Battle of Britain and/or Merchant Navy
  • Southern Lord Nelson class
  • Some Bulleid or Maunsell coaches to go with the above.
  • LMS Princess Royal (Wikipedia reminds me that this could also form basis for a GWR King)

And finally, while not locomotives and rolling stock, the following accessories:

• Colour light signals (as no-one else has stepped up)
  • upper quadrant semaphore signals
  • catenary masts
  • Level crossing

Not asking for much….

• Class 56 in BR Blue, large logo, railfreight (coal) and EWS - to go with those upcoming HAAs and TTAs

This would be great! I suspect that when they're designing the Class 47, they'll design the tooling for interchangeability with the Class 56. The same should also be true of the Class 57. Basically, assuming Hornby executes on this properly (which I'm sure they will), we'll get three new locomotives out of a single tooling!

• Colour light signals (as no-one else has stepped up)

This would be huge. It would be even better if they had direct integration with HM-DCC. Of course, this might be dreaming.

The Class 58 might make business sense too... Besides being used in eras 8 and 9 in Britain, they also journeyed to the continent. France, Spain, and the Netherlands all used 58s. That opens up the possibility of creating liveries that could be marketed to continental TT modelers...

Even the Class 47 journeyed overseas. A variant of the 47 was bought by Cuba in the 1960s for use on their railways. Of course, I'm not sure there is much of a market for 1960s Cuban TT diesels... 😉

They could also get Class 69, adapted from Class 56, if they do it well. That makes it 4 locomotive classes (and umpteen liveries) out of a tooling family. Possibly too much to ask for Kestrel too...

A Class 58 would be good as you say - as one of Hornby's flagship locomotives in the past, there's some history there too. I presume that having a TT120 Class 08 means that they can still fit a motor and (hopefully) at least an 8 pin decoder into the narrow body of the 58. The continental possibilities are interesting - as I understand it, Classes 20, 37, 56, 58, 86, 87 and of course 92 have made it abroad as well as the obvious 66. In fact one website suggests nearly 300 have been used in Europe since 1999.

I'm sure that accessory integration with HM7000 will come in time, but we may have to wait a few years. Even a searchlight-style signal, with just one lens showing three aspects through the magic of LEDs, would be a start (although a two or three-aspect signal may be easier to wire/control and be more popular).

• 4 weeks later...

Green or black Class 08 (I’m sure you must have this planned as the test shots had ladders)

Blue and grey MK1 coaches.

Early BR ‘common’ Blue class 50 with D-Numbers and head codes panel.

(an express set with blue and grey MK1s and an early blue class 50 would be ideal)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Orient Express CIWL coach set. Hornby/Arnold TT:120 has huge appeal in UK and European mainland

Standard Class 2MT 2 6 4

Class 25

Suburban coach stock

Class 101/102 DMU

All local service stalwarts at home on any layout and multiple livery options.

Working TPO

Presflow cement wagons

Bulk Grain Hopper wagons

Bogie Bolster Flat wagons

All commonly used across network for many years and hugely popular in other scales

• 3 weeks later...