Who is RailMaster? And are there any updates to accommodate TT120 and Hornbys new HM7000 DCC Chips

"Who is RailMaster ?"

RailMaster software was written by Richard Prokop. He did once have a software company called "Invicto Systems" that is now defunct. In very early versions of RM, there was 'Invicto Systems' branding displayed in small print on the main screen (now removed from RM). Invicto Systems also had a website (now gone) that showed the software Invicto Systems sold and also reference to RM. Invicto Systems core business was writing 'Point of Sale Till' software and there was a lot of symmetry between the appearance of RM & the POS screen display which could be seen on the Invicto website. Both the defunct Invicto POS software and RM were/are written in MS Visual Basic 6 under Windows XP. VB6 & XP are, of course, now obsolete technologies. One of the reasons I believe why RM faces 'MS Security Certification' issues when trying to download it.

As far as I am aware Richard still fronts HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support) who is the only organisation that directly supports RM. Hornby Hobbies have handed all rights to RM to HRMS.

Rumour has it that a significant update to RM is planned for December 2023 but based upon past history this date may slip. The last RM update was released on 30th September 2021 and hasn't been updated since that date.

There is nothing that prevents this current version (1.74.5) from supporting TT120 and HM7000 decoders even though these new products are not yet in the RM Database. FAQ2 in the 'RailMaster FAQ Index' pinned sticky thread details how to negate the Database, which incidently more often than not, causes more issues than it resolves.

Spot on Paul.

In the past HRMS has provided excellent support even over bank holiday periods. Support of late appears to have been sketchy but every time I have reached out on behalf of folk having problems struggling to contact them the response has been immediate thus confirming most problems are at the user end.

There are a good few outstanding issues with RM, including the marketing of the very, very long awaited hardware for the loco detection system for which all supporting software is already present in RM.

It is presumed HRMS ‘support team’ is actually a one man band (Richard), but who knows for sure and who cares as long as adequate support is there when required.’

Thank you Paul for that background info... Still it is excellent in what it can do and Im sure

there is more to come....Yes although I know DCC 7000 App reads the CVs on the Chips I did try to read them via RM .and yes they work ok with RM as it stands....I am hoping this will be in the upgrade but as 96RAF states Block detection would be nice after all these years .....thanks again

I must admit I didn't dig too deeply but when I pulled up the HM7000 it looked to have the menu for setting up a track diagram. Track diagrams don't interest me that much so I didn't dig any further. To be honest my first impression of the HM7000 was that it was trying to replicate Railmaster. There again I have only used Railmaster once just to see what it was like, the same could be said for HM7000. I generally only use DCC for controlling locos and my turntable, points are still controlled by an array of switches. I assume if you treat the HM7000 decoders as DCC only, then they will work with Railmaster.

Colin, there is a very good mechanism in Railmaster turntables. It can be set up to move one route on a mouse click, and links in with points. It would do away with all your switches. I had 18 exits on my last layout with a DCC chip installed on turntable wiring.

I have a Heljan turntable, you just learn the positions and store them. You then issue DCC accessory commands to select them. I also use a DigiKeijs DCC controller which is a Windows multitasking application and if I wanted to I could then run Itrains on my smartphone. As I said I tried Railmaster to see how it worked but it wasn't the sort of controller that I wanted to use. I just wanted the digital equivalent of a multitrain controller which is what the DigiKeijs is. I have not got round to it on the DigiKeijs but on my Fleishmann Twin Track Controller you set the individual turntable positions on "hot keys", I think with the DigiKeijs it comes up as a windows combo box with software buttons.

Just to be perfectly clear on RM’s accommodation of TT:120 and HM7000:

• RM has no concept of scale within it so treats OO and TT exactly the same
  • as HM7000 decoders are DCC compliant decoders (plus BT), RM treats them exactly the same as any other DCC decoder. It cares not they also have BT capability

And on block detection - there has never been any indication that RM might use block detection. All of the software features included in it relate to loco detection (or coach detection dependent on where you place ID tags). You can see its functionality from the LD commands sticky. If it ever happens.

It is presumed HRMS ‘support team’ is actually a one man band (Richard), but who knows for sure and who cares as long as adequate support is there when required.’

I have been in contact with RailMaster support within the last 24 hours and the response I received was (as usual from my experience) very prompt and comprehensive.

I have a Heljan turntable, you just learn the positions and store them. You then issue DCC accessory commands to select them. I also use a DigiKeijs DCC controller which is a Windows multitasking application and if I wanted to I could then run Itrains on my smartphone. As I said I tried Railmaster to see how it worked but it wasn't the sort of controller that I wanted to use. I just wanted the digital equivalent of a multitrain controller which is what the DigiKeijs is. I have not got round to it on the DigiKeijs but on my Fleishmann Twin Track Controller you set the individual turntable positions on "hot keys", I think with the DigiKeijs it comes up as a windows combo box with software buttons.

I've just read that DigiKeijs has gone bust?

• 1 month later...

NO you can't..... Firstly Railmaster has no capability to access a Bluetooth interface that may be built into your PC. Secondly, the last update to RM was 30th Sep 2021 long before any development of the HM7000 Bluetooth protocol so there will not be any appropriate software interface built into RM to generate Bluetooth commands. Thirdly, the planned HM Legacy Dongle although useable on an Elite is not compatible with an eLink and even if used on an Elite will not have any direct interface to RM software.

It is rumoured that a significant RM upgrade is due in December. No information has been published as to what this upgrade may contain if it ever happens.

You can use wireless control using the RailMaster app.

This reply refers to the Handheld version of RM, for which a separate licence is required and it requires that the Main RM program is running on a PC.

It has no relevance to the Bluetooth discussions above.

Plus the Railmaster HandHeld is not strictly an APP in the traditional sense as it is not installed from the normal mobile APP (Android & IOS) stores. The Railmaster HandHeld is a webpage installed interface using a browser.

It does not use Bluetooth, it communicates to the PC running Railmaster via your home BB router using Wi-Fi.