2025 Wish List

Susanna Viljanen

Now as the 2024 news have been published, it is time for 2025 wish list.

1. Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only folding wing option, Heller (Smer/Mistercraft), is nasty to work with.
  2. Junkers Ju 88 A-1/A-4/C-6. The only still missing major Battle of Britain participant on either side of the conflict. Can we also have conversion parts for a nightfighter?
  3. Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38 models available.
  4. Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.
  5. Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options - just like the old Jo-Han kit!
  6. Westland Lysander. No kits available in 1/72 scale. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated.
  7. Handley Page Hampden. Old Airfix kit is sadly dated, and the AZ models kit is unavailable.
  8. Fairey Albacore. No kits available in 1/72 scale. A logical companion for Swordfish.
  9. Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!
  10. Grob G-115 Tutor. I am pretty certain many modellers would see this trainer kitted.

Bubbling under:

• Conversion parts for Lancaster into Grand Slam bomber and/or Avro Manchester
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Typhoon for "car door" variant
  • Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Hurricane for Sea Hurricane and metal wing Mk.I

Not likely to happen, but still a wish:

• Avro Lincoln. This would be the missing link between Lancaster and Shackleton.
  • Conversion parts for Bristol Bulldog Mk. IV. Would enable to build a Winter War BU.
  • Supermarine Walrus. With decals of HMS Belfast reconnaissance plane.

I have some comments on Susanna's post. Hopefully this will be construed positively as it is intended.

Airfix Forum Please look at my thread for some insight into what I have done so far.

Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only folding wing option, Heller (Smer/Mistercraft), is nasty to work with.

I have not built any Corsairs yet but I do have several Tamiya ones. Tamiya is tough to beat.

Junkers Ju 88 A-1/A-4/C-6. The only still missing major Battle of Britain participant on either side of the conflict. Can we also have conversion parts for a nightfighter?

I agree the A-1 will be a significant addition to the collection

Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38 models available.

RS models does kit all of the Lightning types. I have built about a dozen of them with many more to go. Not a simple kit for sure but certainly buildable.

Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.

The new Arma kits are going to be tough to beat. I have a few in the pile to build , they look great so far.

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options - just like the old Jo-Han kit.

I have kits from Tamiya, Hasegawa and Academy, You can see the results in my thread. While Airfix could likely make a better kit, is it worth it with these other options?

Westland Lysander. No kits available in 1/72 scale. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated.

Agreed, I do have 1 or two kits from Dora Wings but these appear to be out of circulation now.

Handley Page Hampden. Old Airfix kit is sadly dated, and the AZ models kit is unavailable.

I recently built a small group of Valom kits, I think they turned out OK, but they are not simple kits, and the clear parts just don't fit unless you carefully tweak them. I found myself sincerely wishing Airfix had the kits. AZ model and Valom are essentially the same kit. I think AZ did try to repair the fit of the clear parts.

Fairey Albacore. No kits available in 1/72 scale. A logical companion for Swordfish.

Agreed, I enjoyed building the 10 or so Swordfish from Airfix, I would certainly add the Albacore. The Special hobby kit is gone unless you wish to finance one.

Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!

The new Flyhawk kits of the SBD-2 and SBD-3 are going to be VERY tough to beat by anyone. Recently built 2 SBD-3s

Grob G-115 Tutor. I am pretty certain many modellers would see this trainer kitted.

I dont know enough about it to know if I need it...

I'd buy those !

Totally onboard

• Conversion parts for 1/72 Hawker Hurricane for Sea Hurricane and metal wing Mk.I

The new ARMA kits are going to be VERY tough to beat. I have built a dozen recent ARMA kits of Hurricanes and Sea Hurricanes.

I really like the Airfix 1/72 Gladiator and wished that there were parts to convert it to Sea Gladiators.

I'm currently building a bunch of Airfix B-25 kits, I love them! In addition, a group of Special Hobby A-20 Bostons and Havocs, I wouldn't mind some Airfix Havocs...

That said, I would be pleased to see Airfix be the go-to place for all things RAF and FAA. Fairey Firefly, Battle, Halifax, Sterling, Hampden etc. I am delighted of course with the B24H though.

Randall

Well if we're talking 2025 wish lists I'll throw my 2p worth into the well...

Aircraft Kits

1. 1/48 Westland Lysander

Always loved this aircraft and have fond memories of the 1/72 version more years ago than like to think about. It really deserves a modern kit.

2. 1/48 Douglas C47 Dakota

Another great aircraft that deserves a modern kit in the larger scale.

Vehicle Kits

1. BL 5.5" or 4.5"

Built the old 1/72 kit last year, which was great, but this gun and it's 4.5" brother are neglected and given their importance to the Commonwealth forces in WW2 it deserves a modern kit. And it would be a great salute to the Airfix heritage.

2. 1/35 Vickers Mk VI light tank

I really fancy building this and there don't seem to be any current kits.

Ships

1. 1/144 Marconi class submarine

Lots of u-boat kits out there, but the Regia Marina doesn't seem to get a look in.

2. 1/72 or 1/144 RRS Discovery

The first RRS and still existing in Dundee to laser scan for accuracy.

Classic Reissues

1. Westland Whirlwind

2. Fairey Battle

3. Matilda II

4. HMS Leander

5. Vosper MTB

All kits I have fond memories of building in my well spent youth.

I have been saying for years about the lack of an Avro Lincoln kit. I recall one moderator in particular saying it wouldn't be a popular seller, that it was too niche, etc. yet every day I see kits from manufacturers of aircraft that never made it beyond the prototype stage, or even beyond blueprint drawing proposals. There are now entire series of tanks that weren't even actual What if...? proposals, basically just tanks and afvs that are fantasy creations, and those kits sell very well.

I honestly can't fathom why the Lincoln remains the missing link on the heavy bomber chain, yet 2024 sees the second incarnation of a B-24 Liberator from Airfix. Still, I guess the belief is that British aircraft subjects don't sell, you know, apart from the Lancaster, Wellington, Vulcan, Victor, Valiant, Shackleton, Nimrod, Buccaneer, Lightning, Spitfire, Hurricane, Defiant and, as the adverts used to say, many, many more. That being the case, why no Avro Lincoln to give model builders worldwide an aircraft which has never been a 1/72 injection moulded kit?

One final point, another manufacturer has taken the Academy kit and reboxed it as the B-29 in RAF service that replaced the Lincoln, the Boeing Washington. At the same time they issued the kit in USAF colours. The latter you could get hold of cheap, no problem, the Washington however sold out, now you can only find it on ebbay. Funny that.

Peebeep….same picture of those waiting for a new tool 1/72nd scale….Hampden, Battle, Halifax (Merlin & Hercules). With the Lincoln & Manchester, makes five really obvious opportunities for Airfix. I will give them credit for the two new Wellington’s!

Hello Airfix…..Anyone Home?

Tim

>Vought F4U Corsair with folding wings. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the only folding

>wing option, Heller (Smer/Mistercraft), is nasty to work with.

>

>I have not built any Corsairs yet but I do have several Tamiya ones. Tamiya is tough to beat.

The keyword was "folding wings". Many modellers like the folding wings option - as with Swordfish, Wildcat and Kate - as it provides neat possibilities for dioramas and shadow boxes. I have struggled for weeks to get the Smer Corsair any good with folded wings.

>Lockheed P-38F Lightning. The Airfix P-38J is horribly dated and inaccurate, and the

>P-38F kit has some serious issues. Moreover, there are no quality kits of the early P-38

>models available.

>

>RS models does kit all of the Lightning types. I have built about a dozen of them with

>many more to go. Not a simple kit for sure but certainly buildable.

They are horribly expensive, and while they are buildable, they require considerable advanced skills (their fit is abysmally bad!) and they are not for an average modeller. Moreover, their availability is sporadic at best.

> Bell P-39 Airacobra. The old Airfix kit is dated, and the Academy kit is horribly inaccurate.

>

>The new Arma kits are going to be tough to beat. I have a few in the pile to build , they look great so far.

Again, they cost a lot of £$€. They are out of reach of an average modeller. I mean, paying 30+ euros for a single engine 1/72 propeller kit requires a certain dedication for the hobby.

>Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. Preferably with both Razorback and Bubbletop options -

>just like the old Jo-Han kit.

>

>I have kits from Tamiya, Hasegawa and Academy, You can see the results in my thread.

>While Airfix could likely make a better kit, is it worth it with these other options?

More worth than reissuing the old 1967 vintage Airfix kit :-(

>Westland Lysander. No kits available in 1/72 scale. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated.

>

>Agreed, I do have 1 or two kits from Dora Wings but these appear to be out of circulation now.

And it is also horribly expensive - 34 euros in a Polish website.

>Handley Page Hampden. Old Airfix kit is sadly dated, and the AZ models kit is unavailable.

>

>I recently built a small group of Valom kits, I think they turned out OK, but they are not

>simple kits, and the clear parts just don't fit unless you carefully tweak them. I found

>myself sincerely wishing Airfix had the kits. AZ model and Valom are essentially the same

>kit. I think AZ did try to repair the fit of the clear parts.

Valom's availability is sporadic at best, and Hampden is the only missing RAF medium bomber on Airfix new issues' series.

>Fairey Albacore. No kits available in 1/72 scale. A logical companion for Swordfish.

>

>Agreed, I enjoyed building the 10 or so Swordfish from Airfix, I would certainly add the

>Albacore. The Special hobby kit is gone unless you wish to finance one.

£39.99 at Kingkit - while they are available. We need a new and an affordable Albacore.

>Douglas SBD Dauntless. The old Airfix kit is sadly dated. With perforated flaps, please!

>

>The new Flyhawk kits of the SBD-2 and SBD-3 are going to be VERY tough to beat by

>anyone. Recently built 2 SBD-3s

Again, the price and the availability. While Hobby Link Japan is a good and reliable provider, the availability of Flyhawk is sporadic and the prices are high. Add in the shipping and the customs duty, and you get easily into second thoughts.

>I'd buy those !

There has been an Airfix issue of Grand Slam bomber, but it hasn't been available for years, but I presume the conversion part tools still do exist. Manchester has never been kitted, but a lot of the parts are the same as Lancaster, so only the conversion parts would be needed.

Manchester was used operationally, 202 were produced and they produced one Victoria Cross, so it could be a viable release.

>Totally onboard

The good thing is that most of the parts are already there. Just new fuselage, canopy, three-blade propellers and smaller tailplane.

>The new ARMA kits are going to be VERY tough to beat. I have built a dozen recent

>ARMA kits of Hurricanes and Sea Hurricanes.

>I really like the Airfix 1/72 Gladiator and wished that there were parts to convert it to Sea Gladiators.

Sea Gladiator would be a simple conversion - just the carrier kit and the dinghy blister.

The thing with the ARMA kits are (again) the price. While they are lovely, they are also expensive, and out of the reach of average modellers.

>That said, I would be pleased to see Airfix be the go-to place for all things RAF and FAA.

>Fairey Firefly, Battle, Halifax, Sterling, Hampden etc. I am delighted of course with the B24H though.

I agree here. New Firefly (with both I and IV noses an option) and new Fairey Battle would be welcomed, as would be Hampden and Stirling. And I wouldn't mind Halifax or Lincoln either. Revell did an excellent job with Halifax, as did Italeri with Stirling, but why not Airfix as well?

• 1 month later...

Hallo. While I support all those requests, please could they go on the back burner until Airfix tweak their excellent 1/48 Sea King to make the only variant that really matters - the HC4? And then do a Gazelle to go with it?

The Wessex 5 would be lovely but sadly the Italeri one will be a tough act to beat.

Then I'll have everything I flew operationally on my shelf and can die happy 🙂

Hello,

my wishlist would all be 1.72

A new 1.72 Westland Lysander

A new Westland Whirlwind fighter bomber

A new 1.72 Hawker Hunter, with the option of the aircraft WT723, I ask for this as it sits on a pole on the Warwick road in Birmingham where I live and I walk past it every day

A 1.72 Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle

1.72 English Electric Canberra B (1) 8

1.72 Fairey Gordon (an interesting change from the Swordfish)

1.72 Handley Page 0/400

1.72 Hawker Sea Hurricane

1.72 I.M.A.M Ro 37 (not the bis) or an I.M.A.N Ro 43 (I think people would like those especially the first in Freccia colours, it would be an interesting surprise)

and finally a 

1.72 Supermarine Seafire

Good new range of kits this year, unfortunately I'd already bought an Airfix 2010 Hampden and this Whitley's previous release last year!

Hi

1.48 Westland Lysander.

1.48 Lockheed Hudson.

1.48 Razorback Spitfire XIV.

1.48 Grumman Martlet, early with wing fold option & decals for HMS Audacity.

1.72 Lancaster with Tallboy / Grand Slam.

1.72 Coastal Command variant of the B24 Liberator.

Of the vintage classics, if the moulds still exist. 1/600 Free Enterprise II. I was growing up down in the Dover area, saw sail in and out of the harbour many times.

Si

Someone asked today in Finnish modeler group Curtiss Hawk 75A 1:48 (curtiss P-36). We cant find any, at least any new model so we need to add it to the wishlist. 

One other thought that came to me today, working on the Tamiya 1/48th Mosquito FBVI, that kit must be over 20 years old, it is still a good kit, but, a state of the 1/48th FB VI would be great, with the option to the bomb bay fully opened up with all the cannon details, and possibly tie option for a Mk XVIII Tetse with a the Monnins gun.

Cheers, SI

• 2 weeks later...

I think one or two items to keep our American friends enthused. I like the idea of a new tool Douglas Skyraider in 1/72 1/48 & 1/32 scales. It is a sizeable airframe & lends itself to many variations plus colourful decal options.

Continuing on the RAF theme, a new tool Short Stirling & Halifax. A Hampden would be nice too. For the American content, an  Boston/Havoc & Maryland. Plus a new tool Lockheed Hudson.

It would be nice to see the F 80 & F 84 retooled too, again in several scales ? For something new, A Lagg 3 & Macchi 200. I had several other thoughts, but since I didn't write these fascinating thoughts down, I've promptly forgotten them, but I'll be back !

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see the Bristol Super Freighter rereleased but with corrections for the nose, wing and tail (extra sprue to keep it simple) to make the more common Mk.I/II/31 in BSAA, BEA, Safe Air, RPAF and RNZAF markings. 

Dreams are free of course!