R7326 HM7040: Bluetooth® Legacy Dongle In Stock

Dodge1965

27 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Adding to this although I’m no expert in this, I’m sure I have read that while ExPress Net itself and connector is a standard, the software is not governed by NMRA/NEM (or not strictly) so manufacturers have their own versions of how the system interacts with the network, so while it’s fair to expect full compatibility with Select/Elite there maybe clashes with other systems which are not down to Hornby. 

Absolutely correct RM. It also explains why it is so difficult for Hornby to design an interface that would work with every system that is on the market.

In my case, I knew that my Prodigy would not be suitable so I picked up a secondhand Elite on eBay, upgraded the software and sent it back to Hornby to have one of the push buttons replaced. The Elite now powers the layout with control via the app and the Prodigy has been assigned to the test and programming track.

10 minutes ago, Andrew-372848 said:

Just received my despatch notification email from RoS (Royal mail 48 hour tracked). So will have it soon. 

Was yours a pre-order or did you order when it was 'in stock'?

Erm… you have all noticed that Andrew’s pre-order was with a retailer & not Hornby themselves?!

Presumably the retailers get their allocations at the same time as the Hornby warehouse & therefore don’t have to pass through the same logistics hoops as direct customers.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Grammar

38 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

I think it was assumed by many that this update had happened before Hornby changed its status to “in stock”. I’ve not ordered one yet but have made that same assumption.

I must be honest, I made the same assumption especially with the earlier post saying Hornby were sending pre-orders out in the next couple of days and then the RoS dispatch note. Oh well, it will be when it will be :classic_wink:

So someone in this post said they had a dispatch notification from Rails, so it’s on the way to them. Someone else said they had talked to customer services today who said pre-orders were going out over the next couple of days. Equally, if Hornby were waiting for a firmware fix, why would they show it as ‘in stock’? I am assuming it will appear in the next few days. If not its Model Rail Scotland so I’ll ask.

So ordering from the retailer gets you a discount and quicker delivery of your items! Although if it’s only a few days that probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 
Hornby didn’t seem to mind sending out Bluetooth decoders when there was no app to use them with. Perhaps this item is a sensible change in strategy 

My HM7040 arrived today. 

I've given it a whirl following the scant instructions in the Quick Start Guide. First of all I checked that the loco worked using the Elite controller which it did. I plugged the HM7040 into the Elite, the two LEDs lit and the app duly connected. I updated the firmware - so far so good. I then assigned the loco, allocated the default function map, gave it the correct address that had worked under direct Elite control and according to the guide the loco should then be controllable from the app. However the loco did not respond - no movement and no sound. 

I found a link to the more comprehensive guide (p24 onwards of the HM DCC Text Tutorial) and read that all the way through but although it provides more detail it didn't indicate that I had missed anything or made any mistakes. 

I have also plugged it into the Xpressnet socket of a Digikeijs DR5000 - again it connected to the app but no response from the loco.

So at the moment I am very disappointed.

Alan

Check that CV19 (consisting) is set to zero.

Is the dongle showing a blue indicator on screen and is the blue led on the device steady blue.

If still struggling ring HM customer support and they will walk you thru' it.

Well that's weird. Before unplugging everything I gave it one last chance plugged into the Digikeijs and without changing anything at all it sprang into life. I therefore changed back to the Elite and that worked too. So I'll leave it for today and fingers crossed it will work when switched on tomorrow.

I note that there is the option to choose Elite or Select - that begs the question as to what to choose for AN Other controller or indeed what difference it might make.

Alan

54 minutes ago, Alan K said:

Well that's weird. Before unplugging everything I gave it one last chance plugged into the Digikeijs and without changing anything at all it sprang into life. I therefore changed back to the Elite and that worked too. So I'll leave it for today and fingers crossed it will work when switched on tomorrow.

I note that there is the option to choose Elite or Select - that begs the question as to what to choose for AN Other controller or indeed what difference it might make.

Alan

Choose Elite. It is to do with the way it reacts to button presses. The Elite has the option to press on and press off or press and hold for momentary action.