The "new" forums are now even worse than before.

Too Tall

14 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Most of the time on RMWeb I hardly notice the adverts, in fact sometimes they have shown me something  I didn't know about. There is always the "x" button somewhere to get rid of it. RMWeb is ok, you do get the passionate ones that get wound up over something trivia, I even had a couple complaining about the use of "stay alive", but that is life there are always people around like that.

This upgrade works, I don't think it is much of an improvement over the old one. It is harder to get started and not so easy to do a quick scan to see what is going on. The plus point is it seems faster. Trouble is, IT guys think differently to most and what they think is easy is generally not. What they should do is take them away for 6 months to do something different and then bring them back to use the product they wrote, then they would understand.

I found the video ads on RallyMatt Web rather annoying but others you could filter out after a while. 
Not enough testing of sites goes on to assess usability but, as you say, this is universal and tends to be common to a lot of tech areas where those designing it assume that because they (generally young, well educated and often male) can use something intuitively, everyone can. 

Watching others struggle with a website or other piece of tech should be compulsory for web/tech designers. 

Peter, I appear to have been missing out on advertising income! 
I use an iPhone exclusively so a smaller screen and sites like RMWeb are virtually useless with incessant ads blocking the actual content. It’s the same on a few cycling resources too and result is I don’t bother with any of them. The ad free nature of Hornby Forum is much more pleasing to use. 

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Haha 2

@Rallymatt Should have trademarked the RM!

Using this forum yesterday on a desktop was much easier in terms of layout and ability to do what I wanted. Using it on an iPhone, even without adverts, is harder than it needs to be.

There seems to be an issue/bug with new paragraphs and iOS on the forum. The standard shortcut for creating a full stop is to press space twice. That then adds a full stop and a space. Pressing return then creates a new paragraph without spacing. Deleting the space after the full stop before pressing return seems to create suitable paragraph spacing.

I found this out just now by accident. Don’t know if the same behaviour occurs on Android. 

Edited by Moccasin

1 hour ago, LTSR_NSE said:

@Dodge1707823134 try logging in to the uk.hornby.com site & check if your Nickname has been changed & whether you can alter it there.  I agree that there seems no way for mere mortals to change Display Name within this forum.

I changed it there, but it doesn't change this one. Thanks for trying..

It took some getting used to but it does seem faster. My main problem is that whenever I go back it takes me to the TT posts which aren’t listed on the ones I want quick access to so have to untick all forums and re-check the ones I do want. Annoying but not unduly so. 

38 minutes ago, Dodge1707823134 said:

I changed it there, but it doesn't change this one. Thanks for trying..

That is due to the initial double login required after the forum swap. The first login was where the new platform fetched your account details from the old forum. The second login to this forum seems to be permanent unless you log out manually. There is no way the new platform will ever go back to get your old account details even though you have changed them over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDS said:

Dodge17....., the reason your username now has added digits is because it was a duplicate with an existing id but that was not picked up by the previous Forum.

Thanks and last question, can it be changed to Dodge1965 for example? Sorry to keep on about this.

2 minutes ago, RDS said:

well I was going to try and help you

What does big ears mean urban dictionary?

Urban Dictionary - cheers big ears - An Australianism ...

Urban Dictionary - cheers big ears - An Australianism associated with drinking: When you're about to take a drink, you say "cheers big ears". There are two usual responses: "same goes big nose," or "up your nose with a rubber hose."

26 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

@westernwill has made the same point in a thread and mods have passed this back. Not sure whether using bold on all posts will be acceptable but it does look better and clearer.

But removes being able to highlight something in a quote when answering unless I amend the quote as above

• Like 1

As a total non computer literate person its like most new programs it takes time to get use to. Computers are no use us gardeners.

I use Windows 10 on here but I still use Vista which I understand better then 10, just give it time, the last forum change was received with the same misgivings.

Edited by Tony57
  • Thanks 1