The "new" forums are now even worse than before.

Too Tall

2 hours ago, Rana Temporia said:

This is a Hornby forum…….so why does the predicated spelling change Hornby to Hornsby every time I type it? 

I would expect predictive text to be controlled by device (possibly browser involvement on some platforms?) - therefore extremely doubtful the forum has any input/control at all.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

I would expect predictive text to be controlled by device (possibly browser involvement on some platforms?) - therefore extremely doubtful the forum has any input/control at all.

That is correct.  The Forum does not have predictive text and does not alter words, although it does highlight spelling errors by underlining the incorrect word.  Try it, just mistype a word and then right click with your mouse, (or whatever option is required by the device you are using) to be offered a new word. 

What has happened! Ok the picking the brands option is just about bearable but really isn’t necessary and should be an option in the banner at the top. you then get on to Hornby page 1 and all the topics on page one are pined and locked! The following pages are old. Go to the Hornby logo or the Hornby text and  you are taken to equally useless topics!
So I tried to go to page 1 by the page finder on the second attempt i finally found the normal page layout with usual 6 top topics locked at the top and I’m able to able to enter and read the new topics/ posts. 

its a car crash of a website designed by a someone who doesn’t know how to design a website! It’s not user friendly at all. Failed the most basic rule of 3 clicks. It needs resetting to the old version and someone else to try and fix it, if possible. 

in today’s world, the website is the first port of call for many. This is unprofessional, hard work and off putting. highly likely to  make people frustrated and to go elsewhere. I’ve seen people asking if the discussion forum is still open on Facebook. Not a good thing at all. 

Now I know I haven’t tried the rest of the website partly because I have no interested in buying anything from Hornby at this point in time. & partly because I don’t have the patience to try to figure out the navigation if it’s been changed. I am going to hope that it’s not a complete overhaul of the website cus really I’m not going to bother and just go elsewhere. 

Hi Fazy, I can assure we share your frustration and the issues you have pointed to have been raised. 

I do disagree with your view that it is unprofessional though.  It just needs some fine tuning to get it to where we need it to be but there are many options for you to select the order in which topics appear for you.

Is it just the community page which has been meddled with or is it the rest of the site? 

has unprofessional I mean that Hornby decided to make it live rather then keeping it hidden well the bugs where ironed out. And just left the older version active. 

6 minutes ago, Fazy said:

Is it just the community page which has been meddled with or is it the rest of the site? 

has unprofessional I mean that Hornby decided to make it live rather then keeping it hidden well the bugs where ironed out. And just left the older version active. 

It’s just the forums that have changed to a new platform. The online shop, club pages etc are untouched. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Fazy said:

What has happened! Ok the picking the brands option is just about bearable but really isn’t necessary and should be an option in the banner at the top. you then get on to Hornby page 1 and all the topics on page one are pined and locked!

If you navigate to page 2 of the Hornby forum and then bookmark that page in your browser, ie a url of https://community.hornbyhobbies.com/forum/3-hornby/page/2/, you can bypass all the other brands and most of the old pinned threads. Personally I really like the new format - this page that I've bookmarked shows me all that I need to know, and I haven't had to look into a sub-forum since the new software was released. I simply click on each unread thread that interests me, and I'm taken straight to the unread posts at the end of the thread. I have set the tick boxes on the sub-forum picker to include just the 6 or 7 sub-forums that I'm interested in, which gives me just 2 pinned posts at the top of page 2, so these are not much of a distraction.

It would be better if the pinned posts were not given priority in the list of recent posts, but just included in date sequence according to when they were last updated.

Regards, John

• Like 2

I do something similar, but just use the main page and click on the recent activity button. Scalextric & Airfix forums are pretty quiet in comparison to Hornby and some posts are interesting.

@Britannia Builder’s method probably works best if you’re not a regular visitor.

I’m enjoying the reactions, ability to direct message, multiple quotes. There are future opportunities to make this an even better resource, such as blogs, as well. 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:29 AM, LesXRN-344592 said:

Yes, XRN as in ex Royal Navy. I don't know where the numbers came from. I'll pm as recommended. Cheers.

At the forum platform changeover various sequences of numbers were added to members names - not all members got them and not all numerical suffixes were the same format.
Presumably some were carry over from the old forum which recently applied a suffix to generate a unique username and some were driven by the new platform to preclude duplicated usernames.