Is my Tablet incompatable?

GWR Greg

I have a Lenovo Tablet TB3B running Android 5.1. It is 7 to 8 years old. I have downloaded the HM7000 app. I have linked it to an 8 pin sound decoder. When setting it up the Bluetooth update failed. I am however able to operate the loco including all the sound functions, change CVs. operate on DCC. I have retried the update but no success. I tried to change the profile but on selecting the app closed and I had to reopen it.  Cannot download a new profile. Does this suggest the tablet is not fully compatible?

First things to try are to ensure all permissions have been enabled/allowed & that you have decent WiFi/Data & Bluetooth signals - the fact that updates are failing sounds like there might be an issue with these.

If these all check out OK then it might be age of device - but generally incompatibility results in app being totally unusable, rather than a single fault.

Android 5 is pushing it. If I recall correctly support for Bluetooth LE and later was only supported by Android 6 or later, so that's the reason why your Bluetooth update didn't work and almost certainly the reason why you can't download any new profiles. I'm actually surprised any of it works.

Hornby customer services have confirmed my tablet to old to be fully compatible with HM7000. So the fact that you can download the app is no guarantee of full compatibility. Looks like I will have buy a new tablet!

On 2/6/2024 at 10:30 PM, Daedalus said:

How long is a piece of string?

Arg*s is currently offering the later higher spec Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 10.6 Inch 128GB Tablet - Grey for the same price.

Argos are still offering this at what I think is a very good price. It is Android 13 and mine did an auto OTA system update a few days ago.

Edited by Daedalus

34 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Argos are still offering this at what I think is a very good price. It is Android 13 and mine did an auto OTA system update a few days ago.

I picked up an M10 on that offer. With the larger screen it is much easier to use.

However, I am experiencing an issue with the profiles page where not all images are displaying correctly and it's a bit slow and jerky scrolling through the many profiles now listed.

This manifestation coincided with the latest app update so I suspect there is a conflict buried in there somewhere.

Apart from that I find it a very good device.

Edited by SteveM6

Just tried mine. I see what you mean!. I've tried my old Android 9 and it is the same, if it was a lack of resources I would expect that to be crippled. I think it is a problem with the profiles not downloading properly. If you notice on the second row there is no "Hornby" on the red logo background. There used to be no problem before the profile update.

Edited by Daedalus

Went for a Lenovo Tab M10 brand new.  Needed a new tablet anyway as some apps could not be updated and stopped working. When I went to link my new tablet to the HM7000 decoder it recognised it but would not link/pair. I have unassigned the decoder on my old tablet, even removed the app. Any help please. I can run the loco in DCC mode by changing CV12 to 0.

13 minutes ago, GWR Greg said:

Went for a Lenovo Tab M10 brand new.  Needed a new tablet anyway as some apps could not be updated and stopped working. When I went to link my new tablet to the HM7000 decoder it recognised it but would not link/pair. I have unassigned the decoder on my old tablet, even removed the app. Any help please. I can run the loco in DCC mode by changing CV12 to 0.

Another glitch. Recycle the app and decoder then at next scan it will be ready to link.

BTW the red block problem has gone away, by dumping the logos and some associated graphics in the profiles screen, pending a full fix.

I have tried removing the app and re installing it as well as resetting the decoder. All to no avail. Runs on DCC  and can change cvs. Both the Bluetooth app on the tablet and HMDCC app recognise the decoder but will not pair. I did get a message on my tablet saying "incorrect pin or passkey". I have emailed technical services at Hornby.

You do not pair with the decoder, you only link within the App. Pin or Passkey is only used in Legacy BLE for things like headphones, more secure connections are normally used in BLE.

Take the loco off the track for 15 seconds to reset and then try a scan from inside the App.

Edited by Daedalus