Are Collectors Club Rewards Points no longer a thing?

I just renewed my CC membership today, somehow lost track of the date and forgot mine had expired. Maybe Hornby should send out a reminder for this a week or so prior.

But looking at the Hornby website, it seems that the 15% bonus to Rewards Points is gone?

Is this just an issue that my CC membership hasn't updated, or is this bonus gone?

The various discount and reward point bonuses have been removed from both the Collector Club and the TT120 club. The 10% Rewards points is standard for all models and similar to discounts on RRP being offered by many retailers. 

For the Collector Club, the membership fee seems to bring access to the exclusive models and the other minor benefits, as well as the magazine. The Rewards points only started about a year ago and overlapped with the club bonuses which were a legacy from before Rewards points were introduced.

Given Hornby's desire to grow its revenue from its own online shop, time will no doubt tell whether they've removed too many incentives or the current arrangement is still sufficient.

So last year they scrapped the 10% CC discount and replaced it with the Rewards Points system, and told no one about it, so we all had to find out on our own, and even then, they made no real effort to clarify the situation.

This year they scrap the only reason to even have a CC membership and seemingly made no effort to inform people?

The 15% CC Reward Points was the only reason I bought direct from Hornby. All this will do is cause people to buy elsewhere cheaper.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DarkRedCape said:

So last year they scrapped the 10% CC discount and replaced it with the Rewards Points system, and told no one about it, so we all had to find out on our own, and even then, they made no real effort to clarify the situation.

This year they scrap the only reason to even have a CC membership and seemingly made no effort to inform people?

The 15% CC Reward Points was the only reason I bought direct from Hornby. All this will do is cause people to buy elsewhere cheaper.

As I say, if they've got that wrong and people desert their online shop, you can be sure they'll correct it somehow as increasing their revenue from online sales is stated as being one of their priorities.

They will have a lot of data from their customers' habits however (as they state in their reports from their CRM system) and that has no doubt driven decisions that will have been made at high level. That they have made these decisions at different times (the removal of the CC benefit occurred quietly some time after they changed the TT120 club) suggests that they have made their calculations based on aggregated customer behaviour and the loss of some custom being balanced by increased revenue from individual web transactions. 

When I'm logged in, any products I look at say 'Earn up to XXXX Hobby Points with this purchase', and the number of points equates to 15%.

However, I note in the blurb, that it now says - "Collect points when you shop across any of our brands. Earn 10 points for every £1 spent, which means you get 10% back in points.

So have they reduced this recently? If they have reduced this further, I dont think they'll have many takers for The Collectors Club going forward.

7 minutes ago, TezzaG said:

When I'm logged in, any products I look at say 'Earn up to XXXX Hobby Points with this purchase', and the number of points equates to 15%.

However, I note in the blurb, that it now says - "Collect points when you shop across any of our brands. Earn 10 points for every £1 spent, which means you get 10% back in points.

So have they reduced this recently? If they have reduced this further, I dont think they'll have many takers for The Collectors Club going forward.

I think those who renewed before the change happened will keep collecting their additional points. There are presumably still TT120 club members who'll be receiving 10% Reward points on top of the standard 10% that all website users can get. Like I said above, they will have made their calculations based on customer behaviour and will lose Collector Club subscribers. As long as the additional revenue from removal of the discount exceeds the loss of Collector Club revenue and/or former subscribers going elsewhere to buy models, I doubt they'll be too bothered.

7 minutes ago, DarkRedCape said:

Not a great company image to have really.

I do hope they honour any enhanced Reward Points on purchases made on existing pre-orders.

They have been doing on TT120 pre-orders that were made before the discount was removed, so there's absolutely no reason to think it will be any different with this change. If you're concerned then give Customer Services a call to put your mind at rest

Let's apply a little logic to the situation.

A few years ago all we got was a 10% discount on purchases from the Hornby online shop and items bought in person from the Visitor Centre. Then about three or maybe four years ago, that was discontinued as well. That may have roughly coincided with the introduction of of the infamous tiering system which also took stock away from the main discounters.

I would presume that this may have negatively affected sales requiring a strategy rethink. Tiers were scrapped and the discount was reinstated.

With the introduction of the Rewards scheme, the 10% discount was discontinued online although it is (or was) still available from the Visitor Centre.

We have also seen the launch of TT120, and Hornby understandably wanted to give it a push so they increased some of the discount levels for TT and ran the two systems side by side based on the date at which individuals joined. Yes some ended up with multiple discounts as a result.

All that is apparently happening now is that the extra incentives have run their course and we are now back to just 10% via the rewards scheme.

Apart from the 'extras' for last year, none of this has been overtly communicated by Hornby, but then you wouldn't really expect them to shout from the rooftops about what has even seen by many as a reduction in benefits. After all, it's in the T's&C's so they probably didn't think anything else was required.

All quite understandable in the circumstances.

• Like 3

I joined the TT:120 club in the beginning to benefit from a bit of discount as Hornby was the only source for the product anyway so it was a "no-brainer". 
To be honest I'm now probably only going to use the Hornby shop to pre-order things from Arnold which I'm happy to let ride until they arrive.  I have a couple of TT:120 pre-orders on the books.     Other recent Hornby purchases (eg. HM7000 decoder) I bought elsewhere at a cheaper price.

I think that being a member of the Collectors Club is worth the money for what is there now or might occur during the year.  I know £30 might appear a bit steep, but just by way of comparison, I was in London on Saturday and bought a round of drinks in a pub - eight pints of mixed beers and lagers came to £51.00 - I only bought one round😁

3 hours ago, Bulleidboy said:

Reward Points are still there. I have just looked at a possible pre-order, and it says I would earn 2500 Reward Points with this purchase.

I was inquiring more to the enhanced Reward Points from being a CC member. on a £320 Dublo, you would earn around 4800 Reward Points from last years CC membership, now it's 3200 points. This reduction in points is across the whole Hornby range.

If I had known this before I renewed my CC, I wouldn't have bothered.

And given that you don't need to be a Club member to get the rewards does put things in a different light. The only benefits to being a member then are, four magazines per year any any exclusive releases that Hornby choose to offer. I won't even talk about the membership card, lanyard and badge 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarkRedCape said:

...... If I had known this before I renewed my CC, I wouldn't have bothered.

I'd feel the same to be honest. Did you get any options to review T&C's when ordering? You could always contact them and explain, asking to cancel and refund the renewal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 05:26, LTSR_NSE said:

@DarkRedCape - I’d contact Hornby & ask what this 👇 means - if the 15% no longer applies…

Collector Club Benefits - Hobby Rewards - 12 months of Club exclusive Hobby Rewards benefits & offers.   Quote from the Collector Club section of website.

This is very deceptive to me. There is no extra Hobby Rewards benefit associated with CC membership unless they are hoping to catch you thinking some special offers will come later in the year (like the double rewards point promotion that also were not club exclusives). We were fooled with that in the TT120 club. Never happened.

I just don’t like that Hornby don’t announce these things. I understand why they don’t, but at the same time, we should know these things. It just feels sly. They did the same thing last year when moving from the 10% CC discount and moved to the Rewards Points system. 

This will be the last year I purchase the CC membership as it’s simply not the price. The enhanced Reward Points was the sole reason I purchased it.

If Hornby are determined to get more people to buy direct from them, this is like an own goal. Plenty of places sell cheaper than buying direct from Hornby, and removing the enhanced Reward Points is going to ensure people go elsewhere when it’s cheaper.

Yes I must admit, there seems very little benefit in being a Club member now. Four mags per year and the odd club exclusive loco, assuming it's a model you are after. And as I've said previously, you don't even need to be a club member to get the reward points

Edited by Brew Man

1 hour ago, Bulleidboy said:

I just received 200 points because it was my birthday. 😃

Happy Birthday 😀

err… the relevance to collector’s club is..?

(Everyone who adds their D.O.B to Hornby account & joins Hobby Rewards, gets the Birthday points.)

• Thanks 1