2024 Range Announcement - 9am 2nd April

21 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Does anyone do the sound files for a J50 ? I imagine not,as there are non preserved. So what would be the most similar sounding loco file that is available ?

One of the other 0-6-0s I assume would be suitable. Must be someone somewhere who heard them before withdrawal and could advise on which loco they sounded similar to.

Edited by moawkwrd

4 minutes ago, SimonF80 said:

That wasn’t meant to sound billy big potatoes. Just that you’d think someone would want to own it and really step forward as a time to shine. 

Totally agree. Appreciate that some people don’t want to be in front of the camera, but really for a high profile brand like TT120, that’s exactly what it does need. That Martyn is always left doing that isn’t good enough in my view. Ok, so Simon was maybe seen to be too prominent and crowding others out. I’ve seen little evidence of change since he left. 

2 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Exactly why Simon was good at it.

Think we’ve only seen the new brand manager once?

Isn’t the new brand manager ex-Lego?  I’d assume they are a marketer not a train buff, and for these QA sessions you need someone who can answer the questions live, and that’s what we had today.  Both of the chaps on hand to answer questions knew their stuff.

The brand manager is presumably working more behind the scenes, looking at the business side of things and the high level marketing and development plan rather than the details of each particular model or product?

10 minutes ago, John-L said:

Isn’t the new brand manager ex-Lego?  I’d assume they are a marketer not a train buff, and for these QA sessions you need someone who can answer the questions live, and that’s what we had today.  Both of the chaps on hand to answer questions knew their stuff.

The brand manager is presumably working more behind the scenes, looking at the business side of things and the high level marketing and development plan rather than the details of each particular model or product?

There’s a TT120 brand manager. They’re then presumably answering to Martyn who is Hornby’s Head of Brand. I think he in turn answers to the guy from Lego who controls all Hornby Hobbies brands. 

• Like 1

The real railways were ‘born’ in County Durham, get in line the rest of you 🤣… Hence when people talk in terms of stand out locations, New York, Paris, Shildon … I think one young woman called herself Paris Shildon…. 

12 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

The real railways were ‘born’ in County Durham,

Whilst horses may have started pulling a couple of carts in the Northeast - I don’t think the ‘railways’ would have necessarily been born without assistance from a certain Cornish inventor & the owner of a Welsh ironworks!

Edited by LTSR_NSE

58 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

Since Stephenson is buried in Chesterfield, I think the TT:120 department should move there. If they need a brand manager, I also live in Chesterfield and would be available for a negotiable fee.🤣

Same!

36 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

Whilst horses may have started pulling a couple of carts in the Northeast - I don’t think the ‘railways’ would have necessarily been born without assistance from a certain Cornish inventor & the owner of a Welsh ironworks!

All the serious work was definitely done in Co Durham, it says so in the Ladybird book of Railways and supported in the Ladybird Book of why NE England is just better Vol3. Cornwall has pasties but NE England has Greggs. I think that sorts that out 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

I think the locos in the HST set are the same ones as available in the loco pack, but are the coaches new numbers?

The locos are the same. The coaches are listed in the description as Mk3 TS coaches E42064 and E42065, which are different numbers from any of the coaches available singularly.

24 minutes ago, Mallard 1410 said:

The locos are the same. The coaches are listed in the description as Mk3 TS coaches E42064 and E42065, which are different numbers from any of the coaches available singularly.

Actually. Zooming in on the pictures on the coaches available singularly. They show different numbers to the descriptions. In the pictures there is a E42064 and a E42065. So I think the coaches in the set are the same as those available singularly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mallard 1410 said:

Actually. Zooming in on the pictures on the coaches available singularly. They show different numbers to the descriptions. In the pictures there is a E42064 and a E42065. So I think the coaches in the set are the same as those available singularly.

Correct! They correspond with TT4023A and TT4023B.

8 hours ago, moawkwrd said:
9 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Does anyone do the sound files for a J50 ? I imagine not,as there are non preserved. So what would be the most similar sounding loco file that is available ?

One of the other 0-6-0s I assume would be suitable. Must be someone somewhere who heard them before withdrawal and could advise on which loco they sounded similar to.

Well, I guess a Jinty sound file might be an option. It had 2 cylinders the same as the J50, was a an 0-6-0 tank loco and had the same duties. admittedly different designers but I think that would be a reasonable enough option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritInVanCA said:

Also are the Peco ones kits? I used the OO ones on my layout and they are very fiddly to build as operational

Not sure to be honest, but I expect they will be kits like the Ratio ones.  I have a kit of 00 GWR ones still waiting to be made up!!! 🙂  

Just a comment on interest in TT:120:

Back at launch, Hornby started a General Discussion topic on this forum.  Over some months, it drew 245 replies.

Already, this topic is about to break 300 replies in 2 days!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fishmanoz said:

Just a comment on interest in TT:120:

Back at launch, Hornby started a General Discussion topic on this forum.  Over some months, it drew 245 replies.

Already, this topic is about to break 300 replies in 2 days!

Compared to those early threads there’s (slightly) less negativity too, perhaps there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel? 🙂

• Like 2

I cannot find the post but someone mentioned about comparing the signals to Pecos and were they kits. I very much doubt Hornby's will be a kit (they only did kits of locos and coaches in Triang days which were only an assemble yourself the standard parts), but, Pecos are. I saw them at the York show on Monday.

IMG_20240401_134124.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

Since Stephenson is buried in Chesterfield, I think the TT:120 department should move there. If they need a brand manager, I also live in Chesterfield and would be available for a negotiable fee.🤣

I'm willing to do a 10 minute commute if the pay grade is high enough.  😁