Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

Has anyone with their ear to the ground heard anything about release dates for the Class 50 locos?

My preorder list has now shrunk right down to six items so it’s a really exciting time to be tt modelling

I think they might arrive next month from what others have said about the dates showing in the website data. I was told June when I was at Model Rail Scotland.

the antidote to a shortening pre-order list is of course to add some more!

37 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

I think they might arrive next month from what others have said about the dates showing in the website data. I was told June when I was at Model Rail Scotland.

the antidote to a shortening pre-order list is of course to add some more!

Do you know, I was sorely tempted to order another 5 mk2 coaches to go with the one mk2e that I preordered to see what it would look like, but now with that mk2e having disappeared from the catalogue and the Mk2f versions not coming for a year I think I will wait and get them from a retailer 

Possibly it’s a more accurate date based on vessel sailing information. To change just by a few days like that does suggest these dates aren’t mere placeholders.

My credit card statement date is 13th/14th, so it can have a break after a hammering from the HST & Mk3s this month. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Mulsanne88 said:

Another quick question, does anyone know if the non sound Class 50 comes with a speaker pre-fitted?

That’s one for Hornby product team, I know the initial HST came with no speakers. 

7 hours ago, Mulsanne88 said:

Another quick question, does anyone know if the non sound Class 50 comes with a speaker pre-fitted?

The HM7000 comes with a speaker if you upgrade later. 

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 1

I'm optimistic we'll get some updates on the Class 50's arrival later this week at Key Model World Live. Hornby will be there with a stand, and they will be answering questions and have models on display. Not only am I expecting to see some of the samples like the Class 50s and Duchesses, but I would not be the slightest bit surprised if we see the new Class 66 and J50 samples too. Hornby usually have all the dates of expected models on display, so we'll get a nice roadmap. 

People have usually had some burning questions for the Hornby team, but lately they've been doing such a good job communicating there aren't really any pressing issues. One of the few things not brought up in either of the April Q&As were wagon and coach packs. Those would be very useful for building longer trains. But that's pretty much the only thing I would be curious to hear them discuss (and which they might realistically answer 🤣). Other than that and ETAs for the 2024 products, things are on track!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StuLarge said:

@Generic Hornby Username Can't make it there myself but if you get a chance, would it be possible to get an update on the Gresley Coaches? I know a 3d sample was seen a while back (I can imagine the woodgrain artwork is a challenge).

I'm holding out for a BR blue small logo D400

Unfortunately, I can't go either. I'd love to see the Class 37 they're trucking in to convention center! Usually, details will slowly come out in the days following the show. I wonder if someone here is planning to attend. 🤔

• Like 1

@StuLarge YesI am also keeping fingers crossed for an early un- refurbished 50 small logo in blue. It’s sounding like the designers and product managers have planned ahead on models so they can offer the  various versions, I don’t think we will see that one first time around though. 🙁

With a full 37 on show what a perfect time for the TT:120 version to make a guest appearance 😁

• Like 2

I wonder how long each livery will stay in the range before being changed? One good thing regarding a starter set is that although the HST is not having different running numbers due to the coaches matching, this will not be an issue with the Class 50 in a starter set. It would be great to get a different one in it.

5 hours ago, StuLarge said:

@Generic Hornby Username Can't make it there myself but if you get a chance, would it be possible to get an update on the Gresley Coaches? I know a 3d sample was seen a while back (I can imagine the woodgrain artwork is a challenge).

I'm holding out for a BR blue small logo D400

This was a photo of the Gresleys, Scotland  February 2023, and the only time I have seen them.

If the teak finish was an issue (brilliant in 00 though) then blood and custard or maroon would be acceptable.

IMG_20240424_111120.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Judging by the paint and decoration finishes being achieved already I can’t see the Teak effect being too challenging 😁

Going by the ones I have seen from 15 years ago when I was 00, the teak was brilliant.

I remember those being launched, they were stunning, I got some in crimson and cream, trying to do the late steam early diesel era in north east…. Hmmmm sounds familiar but layout stalled for various reasons 

• Like 1

Planning on being there on Sunday. I’ll make a list of questions from here to add to my list of questions. I’ve a few for Hornby, Peco and loads for the 3D printing experts that will hopefully be there.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 12:49, Silver Fox 17 said:

This was a photo of the Gresleys, Scotland  February 2023, and the only time I have seen them.

If the teak finish was an issue (brilliant in 00 though) then blood and custard or maroon would be acceptable.

IMG_20240424_111120.jpg

Incidentally the Gresleys are corridor 3rd (TK) and corridor brake composite (BCK) with post-1931 angle iron underframe trussing.

Hornby lists them in the 4th edition of their brochure as Gresley composite and Gresley brake 3rd https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/6417/0490/2723/Analytics_1_uk.hornby.com_Pages_20230220-20230306.pdf

• Like 2

Though the 1960s Triang-Hornby models of "Thompson" coaches (actually alternate sides on mark 1 chassis) were "of their time", the teak effect looked pretty good, and has been modelled in both OO and N gauge without issue many times since — perhaps it isn't as difficult to do as we might think.

Now, if only the manufacturers would agree on the correct colours for "blood and custard" coaches — on some N gauge models the red varies from almost orange in colour to something close to the later maroon livery, and the cream colour sometimes looks more like yellow. That said, colour photographs of the period show a similar range too… the colour rendering of films of the time was somewhat variable, and the paint was probably prone to fading too. Green used to be the colour least prone to fading — the vast majority of European coaches were once painted that colour.