Class 50 locomotives

Mulsanne88

16 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Now, if only the manufacturers would agree on the correct colours for "blood and custard" coaches — on some N gauge models the red varies from almost orange in colour to something close to the later maroon livery

"Blood" did vary considerably. When new it was crimson, not quite maroon but soon started to fade to an orange hue. Precision/Phoenix paints do make new and faded colours for blood and the faded looks more like most of the photos around.

The custard was more yellow shade than not but again faded to a pale cream. Precision/Phoenix custard is a more yellow shade and I have toned it down a little when painting models.

I did have a photo of a Britannia with about 5 different shades of blood and custard coaches behind but cannot find it at the moment.

You will always get someone thinking a colour is wrong as apart from new/faded, sunny/dull etc our eyes all see shades different to others.

4 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Interesting that the blue 08 is there on display when it’s out of stock and retired from the range

It’s coming back November. I spoke to Carl on the Hornby TT stand. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tim Allen said:

It’s coming back November. I spoke to Carl on the Hornby TT stand. 

Did they mention if it would be renumbered? They might get a few repeat orders if they did!

• Like 1

Thanks Tim!

I must admit the photo of the class 66 in the Colas Rail livery does look stunning. Much better than the image in the website shop! That particular variant isn't one of my class 66 pre orders however having seen the photo I almost wish I had ordered one. I will resist 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

It’s amazing how good the 66 looks in the retro large logo livery. Anyone modelling blue era could pop that in and it would look right at home. Creative modelling 😁

Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey (also known as modellers’ rule 1 - I could see Dr Who with a model railway)

• Like 3

The 50 and 66 look really good. I’d originally pre ordered the 66 in large BR logo but changed it to the red DB as my little boy keeps spotting the 66 in DB red when we pass Dollands Moor so the idea of picking an era is out of the window! It’s going to be a real mixed bag!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SimonF80 said:

The 50 and 66 look really good. I’d originally pre ordered the 66 in large BR logo but changed it to the red DB as my little boy keeps spotting the 66 in DB red when we pass Dollands Moor so the idea of picking an era is out of the window! It’s going to be a real mixed bag!

My nephew has seen some video of my locomotive, and he was mightily impressed. I'm looking forward to letting him use the whistle and make the sounds on the app when I see him next. It makes it even more fun to share it with someone! If your son wants a red Class 66, then that's exactly what you should buy! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SimonF80 said:

This is exactly the reasoning many people are attracted to the hobby. Recreating what they see in real life. Pete Waterman has been very vocal about this over the years with their incredible Making Tracks projects. They always strongly feature the trains the next generation of modellers  can see working today. In my early years in the hobby I liked steam but it was the Blue and Yellow diesel era that was current that excited me. You might have to be loose with the Era idea for now 🤣🤣

Class 66s represent a great success story. I could watch them speeding through Oakham when we lived there. The drivers would sometimes change over when I was waiting for my train at Peterborough so this was another opportunity to get up close. I have to get one. My initials are DB so that is the finish sorted.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 10:22, PeterM67 said:

Thanks Tim!

I must admit the photo of the class 66 in the Colas Rail livery does look stunning. Much better than the image in the website shop! That particular variant isn't one of my class 66 pre orders however having seen the photo I almost wish I had ordered one. I will resist 😂

Same here, I've gone for gbrf and a schenker but the others look superb as well. 

Since seeing the green Class 50 yesterday I’ve now ordered it as well as the blue. I’ll be doing that much overtime to pay for everything I’ll not have time to sort my baseboard out. 

Edited by Tim Allen

2 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

Since seeing the green Class 50 yesterday I’ve now ordered it as well as the blue. I’ll be doing that much overtime to pay for everything I’ll not have time to sort my baseboard 

Those 50's do look superb.

I’m still not sure which class 50 to get. Better decide soon… both look so good. I really like Defiance but that’s a year away so I’m not waiting that long! I’ve seen images of GBRf Hercules with a Pullman charter going through where I live but of course Hercules is being released as Sir Edward Elgar in green so it wouldn’t look right… I could use Defiance to simulate that and also go for Leviathan to match my 08 shunter. But if you’re buying two of them… it seems rude to leave one out 😂

• Haha 1

Do what I did and give in the the inevitable - all 3 class 50's sitting on pre-order. It didn't feel right to discriminate 🤣

Mind you when it came to the class 66 I had to be a bit more harsh as  there was no way I could justify 5 variants so only 3 made the cut. Although the pictures of the Colas Rail freight 66 from the weekend just looks so tempting. Will resist...

• Like 1

@PeterM67 Be careful, if you add the Colas that will be four variants and then the last one would be inevitable! I haven’t even decided on the 66… I love British Rail colours but that seems a bit of a cop out when looking at the other liveries. My steam era layout is going to have some odd locos making guest appearances!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to May everyone...

Just waiting now for these Class 50s to arrive in just over a fortnight! Oh, and the 21T wagons by the month's end too if the source code is correct...

🥳🥳

• Like 1