Elite “last chance to buy “

BritInVanCA

I struggle to think what else "last chance" could mean. I hope some kind of replacement is imminent otherwise what are HM7000 new-users supposed to plug their Dongle into?

Edited by dBerriff

1 hour ago, Moccasin said:

In the past “last chance” has sometimes meant “last chance before the next stock comes in” or “last chance to help us reduce our stock this month”

The Elite & eLink have both been listed in the ‘last chance’ category many times before this latest one.  So unless Hornby possesses an astronomical stockpile of both that they are attempting to reduce, I’m in agreement with @Moccasin

Last chance also some times mean: "Last chance to buy before it will be out of stock for a while". 

The Elite is in the current 2024 catalogue, so I suspect it will be available further down the line. The Select, on the other hand, has been discontinued and is no longer in the range, sadly.

By the looks of it, the "under the table" point motor is also on the list. So, I would not worry too much. It has been on the list several times before. 

The Elite stock is also up by 10 since the last time I looked (a few days ago). It is probably a fluke.

Fair enough. I tend to take things literally. Mine is of unknown age, picked up used for £95. This reminds me I should strip it down and replace the thermal compound following the guidance on Rob’s excellent website. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dBerriff said:

Fair enough. I tend to take things literally. Mine is of unknown age, picked up used for £95. This reminds me I should strip it down and replace the thermal compound following the guidance on Rob’s excellent website. 

If it has the old bent tin heat sinks in the Select image, I recommend replacing them with extruded versions. If you don't have access to a scrap device to rob from then any similar heatsink can be used, e.g. offcuts from window glazing, computers and other domestic electronics. Image shows eLink, but other Hornby devices are the same.

Elink v1.01 expressnet.png

IMG_1926.jpeg

1 hour ago, dBerriff said:

Thank's Rob. I might swap out the rotary encoders while it is opened up although my HM7000 Dongle reduces the need for that.

The encoders I bought have a good click detent.

28 minutes ago, BritInVanCA said:

@96RAF you mean my 16 year old Select isn’t going to last forever! It’s already outlasted 2 iMacs!

You obviously treat yours with more respect than mine get, as they are tested to death and beyond. I have 2 good ones, and one with half the buttons inop and a smoker. Good for spares tho'. Oldest one is 2006.

I have 6 Elites ranging from a couple that are OK, to those sort of working except for USB or programming, to sort of works but gets very hot and a box of assorted bits. Oldest one is 2007.

I have many other modules like acc decoders, power boosters, reversing loop and of course a couple of eLinks, all in various states of serviceability due to being subject to 'see if you can break them' directives in testing or being fumbled during updates.

• Haha 1

My Select dates from around 2010 when I bought the strange (SDJR + LMS) Somerset Belle set on a whim to try out DCC. I have had the firmware updated and it still works reliably. To be fair, it has had an easy life.

I don't recall ever reading that the Elite/Select are ever likely to be replaced? My Elite dates from January 2009 and has had a relatively easy life - being an early model it has twin ports so can take two dongles - it has been upgraded when necessary and is currently at v.1.45. I have never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

The Elite insides have only changed twice at design level that I recall, once for an updated PIC chip that went obsolete then to cater for the spring terminals that were only available in a larger format, meaning one of the Xpressnet ports had to go to make room. That required a motherboard change obviously to shuffle stuff up.

Select has also had PIC chip updates requiring an internal facelift, hence v1.6 versus v2.0.

43 minutes ago, HST Mainline said:

The Select is no longer in the program. It isn't on the website or in the 2024 catalogue.

Hornby has a habit of dropping things out of sight that are out of stock. That does not mean they are out of program.

7 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Hornby has a habit of dropping things out of sight that are out of stock. That does not mean they are out of program.

I can understand that (to some extend) with regard to the webshop. I do not understand it with regard to the catalogue. If it is not in the printed catalogue, I think it is safe to assume that it is no longer in the program. 

Models come and go, but digital controller going out of the printed catalogue and coming back? Has this happened before?

The Select is a great little controller, I think it has its place in the program.

Not that I am expert on how Hornby works, but if HM7000 becomes the norm, why would you want to use an Elite? Perhaps Hornby is thinking the same way, if HM7000 works properly then the Hornby future is bluetooth and the Hornby App. Now we all know that most people have a combination of DCC and HM7000 decoders so an Elite or Select is the only way to run both, but perhaps Hornby management doesn't think like that. Therefore there would be some logic in running the design out.

App control isn’t for everyone and there will always be a traditional control system but Hornby is due to update the Elite/Select controllers and was intended it could integrate with app, I understand that’s been put back