April 2024 TT120 Club magazine

Posted (edited)

To avoid hijacking another thread, I was just wondering if anyone has asked where the club magazine has got to?

It was said to be due in April, with the reasonable excuse given with the winter edition that the next issue was being tied into the April announcement. That is now 4 weeks ago and still no sign.

After the February Train Terminal arrived in March, I guess we can expect it sometime this month? Presumably the July issue will then be pushed back like it was last year. 

Hornby can’t really disband the club without sending bad signals (though it seems pretty pointless at the moment) but even now their content publishing leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe they’re waiting for the Class 50s or maybe, like the Feb Train Terminal did with the first HSTs, it will herald their arrival a few weeks after everyone has received them!

Edited by Moccasin
Missing space in title
  • Like 1

• Moccasin changed the title to April 2024 TT120 Club magazine

I’m not sure if the timing of compiling this publication will change now that it’s electronic only but previously by the time it was in our hands all the information was known and the dates were inaccurate. The articles about personalities, layouts and how to were somewhat fun but I’m sure they are reassessing the value of this advertising medium. 

• Like 1

They could certainly use the opportunity to try something different for TT120. Does it need to be a PDF magazine or could they take more advantage of it being fully digital to do something new? Maybe it could be partly interactive. 

Doesn’t seem so. The last issue talked about including reviews of the HST.

Also, on page 7 of the last issue ”Please note that the next issue of Hornby TT:120 Club magazine, Spring 2024, will be published slightly later, in April, to coincide with the 2024 range announcements of new Hornby TT:120 models.”

Posted (edited)

Possibly controversially... If the "club" and quarterly magazine, rare competitions and illusive exclusives Fail... I'm fine with that but.

This is on the basis that the contributors were too busy developing products and focusing on getting them to the shelves.

I think the as it comes announcements are ok. The video with Peachy and Mac was excellent. 

And this platform provides a great place to give updates. I can see that you would want to lockdown official posts so they could receive reactions and answer polls but possibly not replies (that could have the potential to get out hand very quickly) I don't know if that's possible.

Edited by StuLarge
Proper credit due!

As I said, the digital club could open out new possibilities. The annoying thing is the continued missing of their own deadlines and sporadic nature of the magazine and Train Terminal. Maybe they should stop making rods for their own back!

• Like 3

It does seem odd to even offer the club then not deliver on it. As StuLarge says I’m also not bothered about it - there’s no benefit to the club right now. We have developed our own community both here and on YouTube so we’re doing a lot of the leg work ourselves!

I thought the dates were unnecessarily exact given that there are so many variables and it’s the bank holiday weekend. Unless they released the magazine today knowing that they’ve arrived in the warehouse!

Surely early/mid/late May would be sufficient?

I really can't see them issuing the coaches tomorrow while the 15% off is valid. They would be losing out on a great deal of money, plus they aren't going to be able to dispatch them till Tuesday at the earliest anyway. If they have them (hidden) in stock, I think next week will be when they appear.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

I really can't see them issuing the coaches tomorrow while the 15% off is valid. They would be losing out on a great deal of money, plus they aren't going to be able to dispatch them till Tuesday at the earliest anyway. If they have them (hidden) in stock, I think next week will be when they appear.

I agree, but it shows a lack of forethought really. Creating problems for themselves as I daresay someone will call them asking “why the coaches aren’t in stock when the magazine published the day before said they would be.” 

Edit: In fact the magazine says they WILL be available to order when the magazine is available. Why create that problem for yourself?

Edited by Moccasin

7 minutes ago, david_watts1 said:

As I said, they'd be silly to issue the coaches tomorrow even if they had them, but maybe they are trying to clear warehouse space for for their imminent arrival🤔??

Or maybe a reward to loyal TT:120 customers? They will still make more than putting through retailers 

Nice to put the PECO 7-planks in the spotlight. And if the dates are a little bit correct, this month might (may…) be a bit expensive for some. For me it already is, even with the 15%, mostly used on magnetic vacuum pipe couplings and TXS decoders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moccasin said:

I agree, but it shows a lack of forethought really. Creating problems for themselves as I daresay someone will call them asking “why the coaches aren’t in stock when the magazine published the day before said they would be.” 

Edit: In fact the magazine says they WILL be available to order when the magazine is available. Why create that problem for yourself?

I think there are a few editorial issues with the mag. It lists the era 8 HSTs as being available in DCC but it is not, the dates for the LMS locos did move back to mid and late June but have since moved forward again to end of may and mid June for DC & DCC versions. With the 57' coaches it seems strange they have 3rd in the mag but 30th on the website, they also fail to mention the era 5 versions in the list. It could be someone has mis-read 30 as 3 (easily done) and gone ahead writing about the incorrect date. 

We'll see tomorrow if they are released, be good if they are.