Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

This is the latest acquisition for the One to One Collection that arrived whilst I was leaving Hornby's Wonder Works. A wonderful Class 60 in GWR green number 081. I had to use my iPhone as my camera was not with me. This class 60  was a surprise arrival . 

image.thumb.jpeg.b70bddb2cc2b129003673c49c8734f0a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.817548522dff244589357a013e7580c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e27c706d6ef04aab822cd6eed3281d73.jpeg

• Like 3

That's what I pre-ordered, erm, from another manufacturer ...

Looking forward to it - due December this year.

I've already got a Hornby super detail class 60, which let's be fair, is a pretty amazing model, so the newcomer has quite a hard task to perform ...

Al.

• Like 2

That N-Class recently purchased has been checked over - pretty much in perfect condition.  Odd little dab of oil here and there and running lightly around the tracks.

I was thinking it may be a split chassis, but it isn't.

There was no room for added weight - boiler filled as standard and she weighs quite a lot.  Haulage capacity seems the same, or more than the 8F I recently cleaned up, which has as much extra weight inserted as possible - quite impressive.

Only thing is the Bachmann motors are quite small, so cannot run for extended periods, without 'rest'.

Al.

Just received 3 as new Hornby BR rhubarb and custard coaches today, to make my rake up to 8, a more-reasonable-looking rake for the ex GWR 'heavies' and that Dapol Western I recently received - all looks good and with a little fiddling, are free-running.

Strange but I'm often finding Hornby super detail (premium quality) coaches with misaligned brakes - that more than deformed bogies.

Surely it's not that difficult despite the 1,000's made to have a simple roll test - beyond a certain point it passes, before it gets checked and corrected / rejected?

Al.

Not bought much lately so was happy to receive these earlier in the week. They could have originally been sold under the Playcraft, Jouef or Egger Bahn label depending on how old they are but after clearing thick black gunk off the wheels and freeing the axles off they all run fine and all the couplings work well. 

I already have a few so can now make a decent train up with them for one of my OO9 locos to play with if I ever get round to completing my layout.

IMG_0012.jpeg

Another 8 pin hm7000 fitted into (ahem) an EFE Hymek.  It was a squeeze with the power bank and speaker and a better speaker is a deffo..  the 🐘 in the room though is I can't see Hornby adding a 35 profile to the sound profiles anytime soon so no doubt I'll have to go elsewhere for a sound chip and save this for something else.

Not to sound negative but I'm now glad I'm not just relying on the app and this system as there are just too many dead ends even within the Hornby range. It's brilliant (fine control is excellent )but it needs time and IMO licencing out.

Edited by Ighten 1707822464
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a second hand copy of this book. Not a model but relating to the other thread on inspiration this book has so much information it’s great! Inspiration for me as a child was being taken to the area (My dad worked at Lankro Chemicals, Later Diamond Shamrock at the time) and seeing the diesel shunters which in my mind were my yellow Big Big train Ruston loco. the fact that it was based on a narrow gauge prototype didn’t matter. it pulled the same wagons and coaches as the Blue Flier Hymek and represented the locos that ran up and down near the docks. 

Hornby have produced at least two MSC locos, the 0-4-0 sentinel diesel and the 0-4-0 Peckett. They may have also produced an Austerity 0-6-0 in MSC Grey, I have seen one somewhere. there is definitely one available in N gauge. 

With a little more work there are a number of other relevant locos that could be made using easily available 3D prints on Hornby chassis. Shapeways do a Hudswell Clarke long tank body designed to fit on the Jouef/Electrotren/Hornby chassis although it’s outside cylindered and the MSC Prototypes are IC. Oak Hill Works produce the Kitson tanks designed to fit on a Hornby Terrier chassis. Chesterfield Models produce the Yorkshire Engine 0-6-0 as used by Lancashire Steelworks at Irlam alongside the MSC. (I have one of their slight mis-prints of this loco which was £12). There are probably more but as far as I know no-one has produced one of the short tank Hunslets other than as an etched kit. 

I need to have a proper read of this book now but first impressions are good. 

IMG_0014.jpeg

Just received 3x Dapol EWS Turbots - used.

These are typically superb little models, and extremely free-running - these weren't, quite ....

Some idiot had decided to ballast them a little by gluing in tiny lead shot but most seems to have accumulated where the wheels are supposed to turn - not ideal.

An hour's Dremel drilling later, and the bogies are free-rotating, wheels free-rolling again.  Very strange.

I normally purchase a pre-formed load - sand, aggregate, ballast, etc - and place a slither of 1mm thick lead underneath this.  I'm awaiting the ballast loads, but lead is in place - wagons running as well as the other 11.

I used the Dapol close connecting coupling for these - fits perfectly - buffers (sprung as well!!) just never touching.

Al.

Edited by RB51
Banned word - removed