Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be nice to see your new fishing line and rod, PJ. That sounds a lot better. Don't forget, though, that fishing rods can be pretty shiny. Going for carp you do really need a strong and therefore thicker line anyway. I assume the float is under the

water, or is he ledgering?

Graskie said:

It will be nice to see your new fishing line and rod, PJ. That sounds a lot better. Don't forget, though, that fishing rods can be pretty shiny. Going for carp you do really need a strong and therefore thicker line anyway. I

assume the float is under the water, or is he ledgering?

You are Fishy Graskie !!!

He was ledgering ;-)

@81F

You've certainly got some great GWR locos there. I'm no expert with a camcorder but I hope you don't mind if I comment as follows.

The background music was terrific and suited the theme.

I think you could have had shorter gaps between each

loco running. There was a fair wait at times between them. Modern video needs to be bang, bang, bang in your face to maintain a viewer's attention.

I think you should probably have a few varying camera angles from different spots on your layout, if that

is feasible.

Lighting indoors is always a problem. You can't beat broad daylight. What about white LED lights, for instance, when no or not much daylight is available. I haven't tried them myself yet, but you can now get LED bulbs up to the equivalent of

60W, I noticed recently.

Trying to be helpful. Nice layout!

@Geoff

Great layout. Loads of different locos and trains. You varied your camera positions and things moved apace. I loved the fancy transitions. See my comments above re lighting. Could

perhaps have had quiet background music added.

Having said all this, I really must stir my stumps and video some of my sound locos running around.

@ Graskie. I did add a music track to the first video, three tracks by the Shadows, but only on the version for my own viewing. YouTube tend to jump on videos containing third party content. The music on the second video is from their own permitted content.

The use of LED bulbs is something I'll look into.

@ PJ, shooting videos is not that hard, if I can do it anyone can. A lot depends on the editing software you have available, such as Cyberlink Power Director, but even a more basic example like Windows

Movie Maker can provide the necessary tools to create videos.

GeoFF03 said:

@ Graskie. I did add a music track to the first video, three tracks by the Shadows, but only on the version for my own viewing. YouTube tend to jump on videos containing third party content. The music on the second video is

from their own permitted content. The use of LED bulbs is something I'll look into.

@ PJ, shooting videos is not that hard, if I can do it anyone can. A lot depends on the editing software you have available, such as Cyberlink Power Director, but even

a more basic example like Windows Movie Maker can provide the necessary tools to create videos.

Hi Geoff

I thought your video was good, the camera wasn't chasing the trains by hand which is common. Some example videos on you tube the

camera doesn't move but their hand blocks the view, those things need a little thought.

Other than lighting as Graskie mentioned I would say it may be better not quite as close as the train comes into view and has gone, you don't get much chance to

see it. Either a longer view or even a slower loco would give that little extra viewing. It is just a comment.

PJ

Layout planning ahead...

Although I am still building the layout and working on the scenery I still feel the need to look ahead.

The image in the link below shows the 5 interlinking loops but, they are now divided into mainline, secondary

lines, sidings with loop links/cross overs.

Platforms to stations are detailed ready to start planning the routes. And to simplify planning at this stage they are numbered.

Signalling planning has been added although some not seen from the control

point may end up as dummy signals.

Zones are also being considered ready for testing and considering loco detection.

As much as I would love to add signals I will wait till Hornby launch Loco detection, I am sure there will be no problems of

them working in RailMaster but I have lots to do so the wait gives me time to run locos, time them from station to station and plan time schedules to run the trains to. The frustrating part with signals is Hornby, in RailMaster, only have one two aspect light

signal and no indication at to which direction it is for, hopefully they will add to this as it certainly is the weak link in a great piece of software.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/58854-layout-planning-main-lines-secondary-lines-signalling-zones/

Signalling - How to and where to...

For those who have followed the discussions and layout and seen the suggestions regarding signalling there is more and the signalling has changed considerably.

You can follow the conversations at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80408-signalling-how-to-and-where-to/

Currently 2 pages but with a lot of useful information included.

PJ

Hi all

A couple of members have asked me to start a new thread for my layout and to see each stage of my layout as it progresses. Do not be to critical, although comments and suggestions are always welcome, it is not meant to be any more than a

stage by stage discussion of my humble railway layout.

Rather than keep adding it here you can now view it at www.rmweb.com

The layout thread is called

RAEL-DALE VALLEY Railway from the beginning...

North East and North West

England an imaginary railway with almost familiar names

The layout also has an unusual name which can read - RAEL which sounds like Real, or Rail as in railway.

Dale reflects Yorkshire and valley reflects the rise and fall of terrain around Lancashire,

Yorkshire and Cumbria.

The link to the thread is

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83539-rael-dale-valley-railway/

Please feel free to view any time or add it to your thread to follow and be notified automatically of updates.

I

have stopped adding to the Gallery as this thread takes its place. Work is continuing and some really good items have been done this last week but, I will add the items in stages and let it flow through each stage. Eventually things will be discussed as I

do them and members can take part, have their say etc.

Thank you for your interest

PJ

Here's my re-started layout, just the bare bones at the moment, but you'll get the idea.

The theme is a Preservation yard, with a local branch passing by, with a small halt serving the yard.

If you look at the rough and ready sketch, the red line

is the branch, and the blue is the preservation yard.

Note there's a cross-over link between the two, so the proper loco's can go 'on loan', and dismals can bring tours in!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/2e0dtoEric/newtrack-plan_zpse7c98d9b.jpg

looking

left

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/2e0dtoEric/railwayleft2014_zps2a2c7c7b.jpg

looking right

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/2e0dtoEric/railwayright2014_zps284c9a36.jpg

Phul. Fascinating layout, especially at night! Seems to be very mixed country-wise. Is it Bonn Station in Germany with British outline locos, American eateries and a French church? A very international flavour!

2toaderic. Once again, a fascinating

and unusual concoction of modern mainline connecting with a preserved railway. Just an excuse for having some old steam locos? Looks very good so far.

The layout is coming on...

Two out of three stations coming together.

Graskie the changes have been made to the fishing lake. The fisherman's rod is now well bent!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83539-rael-dale-valley-railway/

This

weekend I will be working on painting the up-stands on one side, hills and all that, never done it before but will give it a go.

Updates added to the above link every few days, hope you like, mistakes included! Still learning, guess I always will ;-)

PJ

Yes, PJ, I can reach it all! (Hence the 'rescue hole visible at the r/h end, and one at t'other you cannot see, round the l/h bends!) The boards are three feet wide, and the previous form had a backscene which meant I couldn't reach any problems behind

it, without getting the steps and a 'grabber' out, which proved to be impractical! (It also proved to be a popular sleeping spot for the cat, so there was always a lump of fur stuck to the first locos round - not a good idea!) End to end, it's about 30 feet,

but as you can see, it's an approximate 'dog-bone' layout.

I didn't say in that piece, but have previously, but it's DCC, with every rail piece fitted with droppers to the bus (Don't start that argument again, please!) and some of the locos are sound-fitted.

The

pile of boxes at the l/h end are all of very short run (100 pieces) local-to-me private-owner four-wheel coal trucks (except the few Hornby ones!) from Astley Green Colliery museum - http://www.agcm.org.uk/ and there are also another six maroon mk1's, a rake

of cheap Pullmans, and a few more wagons lurking off-camera. Everything that needed it has been re-wheeled with metal, not plastic, wheels.