Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful - the music track really sets it off well. I like all of them, the monster cat in "The Crash" is reminiscent of Hammer Films (for those that remember such antiquated movies) and very funny. Very well done. I too would be interested in how you

get to keep the track so pristine in the elements? R-

• 2 weeks later...

For those who may be interested

I have included another 9 images this weekend updating the work on the layout. Over 16 new updates/images added so far this month.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83539-rael-dale-valley-railway/

There

is a lot going on and a lot still to do, I guess there always will be but I want to get as much as I can done before RM Pro and loco detection so that I can prepare to consider signalling and decoders etc

@PJ_model_trains

I have just looked at your layout pictures. It looks really good and is a credit to you.

I was interested to read above that you want to get as much done as possible before RM Pro and Loco Detection. I am the opposite. I will

buy Pro as soon as it is available but I want to see what the updates offer before going any further on my layout, so that I can incorporate them in the best way possible.

Each to their own of course!

RDS said:

@PJ_model_trains
I have just looked at your layout pictures. It looks really good and is a credit to you.

I was interested to read above that you want to get as much done as possible before RM Pro and Loco Detection. I

am the opposite. I will buy Pro as soon as it is available but I want to see what the updates offer before going any further on my layout, so that I can incorporate them in the best way possible.
Each to their own of course!

Hi thanks for

your kind comments

When I say, get as much done as possible, I am referring mainly to modelling as you can see it is crammed with work done and in progress with so much more to do.

System wise I have not done a lot for a while, just run locos,

read CV's, record them, test stopping distances etc. Oh and make adjustments as my Class 153 Northern Rail DMU had a much longer wheel base than expected. I knew it was a long wheel base it caused me to make a few adjustments on curves but I am getting there.

I

don't think RM PRO will make a lot of difference to the running of loco's, we will be able to tidy up the schematic layout and prepare for signals greater than 2 aspect. Will they include signals with feathers or sidings signals, we will have to wait and see.

The big improvement and most work will be loco detection which is to follow.

They say there are over 100 new items in RM Pro, sounds a lot but with standard points on diagonals, Y points ion the angle etc these multiplications will soon eat into the

100 items they are saying. Hornby's big thing in RM Pro is voice control, that will be in there but I think I will take a lot of convincing to use it. I want to run loco's and listen to the sound from my trains, I didn't spend hundreds of pounds for each loco

with sound to talk over them.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, a lot of work has been done on the layout.

ALSO, there have been discussions regarding signalling with first hand recommendations from a guy who really does know the ropes. As he said, if we get it wrong we get out backsides

kicked.

Previous links provided on this forum may not work. Here is the new one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83539-rael-dale-valley-railway-building-modelling-signalling-and-more/

It was also mentioned by a member

in the early days that he was concerned track was close to the edges of the layout and trains may fall off. We have come a long way and this is now answered although still, being worked on.

As always comments are always welcome good or bad. That's how

we learn.

PJ

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys

Seems ages since anyone shared their layout so I have included a few updates below that I have done on my layout recently.

Below are a couple of Metcalfe's under passes added to station platforms. I still have a little finishing off to do.

/media/tinymce_upload/Island_platform_underpass.jpg

Below I have added 5 twin station lights to an island platform. All 12v

/media/tinymce_upload/Island_platform_lighting_tall.jpg

Below is an image looking across to the station and island platform with Railway Inn Hotel in th distance.

The image is to show the station lighting.

/media/tinymce_upload/Island_platform_lighting_lg.jpg

Sorry about the mess, lights near my fishing lake, etc, etc.

Street, station, car and house lights are all controlled from the 15 switches near my control centre.

Everything on the layout can now be switched on and off from the neon light fused switch on one leg under the layout.

/media/tinymce_upload/power_elink_lights.jpg

Well back to work  ;o)  Seats, Signs, and flower boxes for the island platform are next.  

PJ

PJ,

Your layout is coming along nicely, pity about being cluttered with all those signals :o)

I do like the idea & use of the underpasses, visually I think it looks good having a long line of sight without a footbridge spoiling the continuity. With hindsight I wish I had put more sidings on my layout.

Good point about PJ's signals 37.  He could halve the number by going from 4 to 2 aspect as well. If he'd gone that way he could've saved HRMS lots of time and himself an amount of LD hardware in the future too.

Sorry PJ, couldn't help myself there after 37's comment.  Layout is really looking great though, and a credit to you.

You can keep up to progress on Liskwithiel Road on its Facebook page whcih can be found at 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Liskwithiel-Road/766345680042627?ref=hl

Sorry sultan

There are quite a few od us on here don't do Faebook. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Please feel free to share your layout images here, we like to share ideas.

PJ

PJ,

Your layout is coming along nicely, pity about being cluttered with all those signals :o)

I do like the idea & use of the underpasses, visually I think it looks good having a long line of sight without a footbridge spoiling the continuity. With hindsight I wish I had put more sidings on my layout.

Hi 37

Thanks for your kind comments, I do like the under passes and decide to fit them for the reasons you mentioned. Initally I considered a bridge, I even considered a gantry but, although they look good they do block your view.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing  ;o)

I made some island platform buildings, Metcalfes, and removed them to add the lights, seats, signs and flower boxes. Again to look better and allow me to see more.  ;o)

PJ

Good point about PJ's signals 37.  He could halve the number by going from 4 to 2 aspect as well. If he'd gone that way he could've saved HRMS lots of time and himself an amount of LD hardware in the future too.

Sorry PJ, couldn't help myself there after 37's comment.  Layout is really looking great though, and a credit to you.

I have noticed, you usually can't ;o)

Signals are an important part of the railway system, although there are issues testing continues and HRMS are working to sort them out.  I have no regrets for adding signals, they are part of defining the position of blocks as well as controlling the trains. I know where my LD sensors are going and have speed limits set for every area of the track. 

Two aspect signals would not be sufficient on my layout, 4 aspect are for high speed lines, outer loop. 3 aspect are for medium speed lines, inner loops, 2 aspect control entry to and sidings. 

As for saving HRMS time, they introdudes signals in RM at v1.60, they did so because it is part of the rail network, I do not doubt a fix will come, now or me that will make LD much more attractive.

Sorry Fishy, I couldn't help myself. Thank you for your comments for the layout, it is 'into work' with LOTS still to do.

Sticking to the topic of our layouts, I have completed the lights for a low relief station and one island platform so thought I would include an update. 

I have started on the seating but will not fix until I make the station name signs and planters. So I am afraid there are a few bed dodies layng on the island platform, camping out I think  ;o)

/media/tinymce_upload/150215_station_lights_hotel.jpg

I have some special lamps for the hotel, uplighter from the ground and downlighters may be under the canopy but I don't think I will get to these until April/May, I will need my layout lifting for me so they are individauully switched. I think they will look good.

/media/tinymce_upload/150215_station_lights_tunnels.jpg

Above shows the station and platform with the Railway Inn in the distance. The tunnel entrances are the start of my third level to have a hill at the bottom end of the layout with a crag face near siding ends.

/media/tinymce_upload/150215_station_lights_over_lake.jpg

The above image shows all the above items and the hand painted background behind the station.  The picuture is taken over the fishing lake, from my control point the switches for all lighting can be seen in the bottom corner and the edge of my monitor.

A few trees have grown near the fishing lake since our last visit. I have not got round to the fencing yet but have started to coat the sides of the iron bridges over the river.  

If you look carefully you will also see some of the speed limit signs, the front of them are always on the left as the train travels. Hope you like it, please bear in mind everything is as it grows and everything is 'in to work' ;o)

PJ