Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brew Man - even a Metcalfe kit can be improved with signs, people, lights and a few strategically placed bollards. The main station building, in my case, is bigger than the kit produces. I accidently spilt glue over the main entrance during construction, so scrapped it and started again, adding the two original outer sections to the new station building. It also has a textured slate roof - I used Redutex slate roof sheets - looks much better than card. The taxi is an Oxford Diecast with a carefully positioned LED in the roof indicator.

@BM

Couldn't agree more about the Metcalfe kits. They are so adaptable. I recently made a two storey station building from the "Country Station" - basically sticking one on top of another, adding stone paper quoins to all corners and covering the horizontal joint with a strip of the same stone paper. It makes a super model. I find it useful to add internal walls and floors and sometimes additional layers of card to add strength. Finished internally with pva, varnish or shellac they are impervious to damp and do not warp despite what many pundits say about card buildings. I've collected a pile of Metcalfe industrial kits, some old Biteezi sheets (found at a car boot) and some equally ancient Peco diorama backscenes (found at a train fair for the bargain price of £2.00 for five) to doctor up into a 3D backscene for a dock layout I am building - can't wait to start on it.

I always come into this thread with a touch of envy, but it's always overshadowed by the awe at peoples efforts and knowledge. My layout still consists of a three ring oval on some 12mm ply, but this thread has so many ideas to work from.

new lad on block - your layout with the double bridge is absolutely fantastic. The more I see multi level layouts, the more I want to try and incorporate it into my own layout. Is your bridge a kit, or did you make it yourself?

Bulleidboy - I think you have one of the nicest layouts I have seen so far. When I picture what I want mine to look like, it's very close to how you've created yours. How long have you been working on yours?

DarkRedCape - Hi - I started my layout in 2013/14. It runs around three sides of a 10x7 room (small bedroom - now railway roomsmile). It's an end-to-end, and virtually copied from a Cyril Freezer layout shown in "Sixty Small Layouts. It's DCC - I bought a Hornby Elite when it first came out and have had it upgraded as upgrades have been announced. It's BR(SR) - late fifties until the end of steam. Peco Code 75 track. Boards came in kit form from Model Railway Solutions in Poole, Dorset. I just plod away at it. I'm not sure if we should mention other forums but there are lots of pictures and details on the Model Railway Forum - Members layouts "Wykeham - Somewhere in the South" . BB

forum_image_632316261c367.thumb.png.7ab6b982414e3868d4d3bf2fe4e7fd36.png

Hi Al - there are a few "light" pacifics somewhere in storage, but re-built Merchant Navy Class are my passion. I think I now have enough (possibly more) to complete the set. I use Modelmaster for etched plates and cabside numbers, but they have been very slow on deliveries for sometime - I am still awaiting an order from May 2022.

The layout is gradually becoming a large model, I rarely run trains. In the space I had available the end-to-end seemed a good idea at the time, but even with very slow running, a train will reach the end (twenty seven feet total length) very quickly.

I am just about to replace about eight feet of Metcalfe retaining wall with a cast version - giving the surface detail Metcalfe products lack - just have to decide whether to use plaster or resin - watch this spacegrinning Barry (aka BB)

@BB
I am just about to replace about eight feet of Metcalfe retaining wall with a cast version - giving the surface detail Metcalfe products lack - just have to decide whether to use plaster or resin - watch this spacegrinning Barry (aka BB)

It's a pity there is no mechanism here for sending private messages to other members, I'd have had those retaining walls off you if you were disposing of them, for a reasonable price of course. I'll soon be purchasing some for part of my branch line.

Mod note - you can usually find members on other forums which do have PM facilities. New Modeller Shop forum, Model Railway Forum Uk, RM Web forum, etc. You can often easily pick out a member by their similar or same username or by their posting style and content. Or you can tell them your other username and say see you on the other site.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...