Let's see your layouts

Dave_wright_1986

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulleidboy, I cannot tell you how jealous I am of your layout. It’s exactly how I envisage mine to be. It’s absolutely perfect.

The Doc, now that is a nicely populated layout! I notice that it seems to be in your garage, how do you deal with the cold at this time of year, and do you find it affects any of your trains or functionality of any components?

Here's an update on my winter activities so far. I've finished the new pointwork and sorted the teething problems with the electronic polarity switching. So here's my 37 doing the longest run posible without using the same track twice, except for crossovers. Total length 1.65 scale miles in just under 3.5 mins.

I've almost completed painting the rail sides rusty which is laborious but satisfying. Enjoy. Cheers

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qb6tdfAQtC1oNVCJ7

Bulleidboy, I cannot tell you how jealous I am of your layout. It’s exactly how I envisage mine to be. It’s absolutely perfect.

Hi DA - Many thanks for the comments. I started the layout in 2013 and have taken my time. It is a Cyril Freezer layout that fits the space I have available perfectly - of course I would like more room - wouldn't we all, but that's life. I have added a picture of the track plan - which I was able to "stretch" a little so as to use the full length of the room.

forum_image_61eed1a21ddbb.thumb.png.e3f67afac0de633452673c707b9385c2.png

@Bulleidboy, I’ve been gawking at your layout and I was wondering what those rounded things on the side were for, then you posted the track plan and it’s for a folding layout?

This is something I’d very much like to do in my loft so I could still use the space for other activities. If your layout does indeed fold, how did you tackle making sure power was continuous where the track pieces meet?

@doglane, the way your setup transitions from different levels is something I’ve been looking in doing. Do you find any of your locos struggle with the gradients? I really like all the different hills and slopes you have, it really adds dimension to the whole layout.

@ DA - that's the lift-up section by the door - it's about three feet long and goes across the door. That sort of length is very useful in 00 gauge (in any gauge), where you need as much board length as possible. All of my boards came in kit form from Model Railway Solutions in Poole, Dorset. They make a hinge out of ply with a 10mm bolt acting as the hinge pin.

I have the end of a six line fiddle yard, the branch line station, and a turntable - all mounted on the lift-up section - obviously if lifting I have to remove the station building and parcel office, but everything else remains in situ. - the track at the board joint aligns perfectly. A couple of pictures show the lift-up section during construction.

forum_image_61ef39362bb55.thumb.png.0f62520bd719990958dc7ca744867a89.png

forum_image_61ef393d9fe59.thumb.png.f11b1813bf8f9eb8c3b3d2720f30da1e.pngforum_image_61ef3944df0f9.thumb.png.a9e1848a1314899687f0bc1c1657abb0.png

Hi, Darkredcape, thanks for the kind comments. Yes I do have to be selective in choosing which locos pull which trains, but so does the real railway where they have gradients. My Hornby Princeses can take 5 illuminated Pullman cars loaded with passengers up all of the gradients which I've built approximately 1 in 40. But some 2.6.0 types struggle with that much. My M7 0.4.4 has no trouble with the Hornby Push-pull pack and most Diesels, if all wheel drive seem to enjoy even greater loads.

I would suggest getting an old scaffold board fitted with a straight track and power then gradually tilting it until your chosen train can no longer move from a standing start. That will prove how much length you will need to achieve the height your layout requires. Cheers

@Bulleidboy, the moving Mercedes van is from the Faller range, unfortunately these are all in HO scale but I've heard that some adventurous types are using the chassis to adapt Oxford vehicles. What we need is Oxford to produce models with motors and magnetic steering. Cheers

The scaffie plank idea is a good one. I have used a couple of similar test methods.

1. a 6x4 bit of spare ply with an oval of track and one end tipped up on blocks to check auto-cruise (bemf).
  2. a couple of 3m lengths of 150mm wide plastic decking boards side by side populated with a variety of track - straight, various rad curves back to back and various points. This was propped up at various angles with bits of off-cut decking. Downhill it was used to check rolling stock for reliable running and uphill to test loco pulling capability on increasing gradients.

@Drakredcape

Sorry for the delay in replying - busy at work. Yes, it's in the garage, and damp causes more of a problem than the cold (although when I go in there at this time of year I tend to wear a coat and walking boots with thick socks!). The damp has caused a couple of card kits to warp (e.g. an old superquick goods shed that is near the garage door), but those that are well braced (e.g. Metcalfe kits) have not been affected.

Much of the track is on foam underlay which has mostly been sound even after about 15-20 years. I don't have any problem with track expanding in extreme heat (gets to about 25-30 Celsius in very hot weather as there are slight gaps between rails.

The most annoying thing is mice - the house is around 400 years old so I can't really keep them out.

• 1 month later...

They are excellent runners Al.

My layout is supposed to be c.1961, and I found this Canadian Pacific 35005 on Ebay. It was originally R3130XS Holland Afrika Line with sound and nicely weathered - the Hornby version in Blue would have been the loco as in preservation. I still have quite a lot of renaming and renumbering to dosmiley. I think I still need one more to complete the set - I do have thirty, but two are Canadian Pacific in both blue and green. Hornby have never produced a M/N with 72B (Salisbury - became 70E in 1963) shed code on the smokebox door, so three loco's need that replacing - all of the others have the correct smokebox shed code for when they are renamed/numbered and for where they were shedded in 1961. They will never be perfect, as there were three types of tender and Hornby have only produced two. It keeps me busy. BB

Finally got some time this afternoon to have a quick play around with my bits and pieces, this is what I’ve come up with. The base is actually an ammo box from the Australian Army, which I picked up from an army dispersal shop 👍. The line that has the tankers on it isn’t powered and is more or less a scenic line which will disappear into a small wooded area as will the line with the Class 03. forum_image_62357a14aea60.png.fcf32ff91ca9e4690e10d9b9cd204548.png

forum_image_62357a15bdcec.png.3729ea534da70e08d344ebb1c06ad5be.png

• 2 weeks later...

Stu, the trackwork looks excellent, as does the rest of the layout.

Do you have any problems reaching the tracks at the back or do you have lift out sections you can get to? I'm counting 16 running lines. Can these all be operated at once? You must have great fun with your layout and a deserved amount of satisfaction with how it looks.

I must really lay some track.......yum