What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys

Well on the layout absalutely nothing.

With loads of paper and pencils planning a small extension to the layout

For such a small extension it needs a lot thought out wiring scenery do I have everything I need

How is it to be conected to the original layout.

Where are my insulfish vans do I have three of them, do I have a four wheel coach I can take the body from.

Where was it you can get replica Triang parts from.

regards John

Some good prrogress at last on the extension. All track is laid now - but not fully pinned - and all points and sections wired up and tested. Platform construction is underway with the sections refused/refurbished/newly built for the island platform 2/3. The partially built staion building is sited so I could work out the lengths of the bays and bay platform 1 is started and a further kit ordered on-line following fruitless visits to local model shops. Two island platform building kits also ordered as I join 2 together.so I can have a canopy over the subway entrances by not fitting one of the two buildings in one of the kits.

I also cleared the station area of tools/rolling stock/materials that I had scattered about during the re-building and so it looks more like it now.

Next tasks are to mend the subway entrance railings on island platforms 4/5 and 6/7.that have been damaged. I have loads of spare railings as I used 2 subway kits for each entrance to get a decent depth. I laso have the station car park to lay and a retaining wall to construct and the stationmaster's house to site. Then the usual railside painting and ballasting followed by signal construction. Lots more work yet. 

I cant remember the post, but someone mention being able to operate a single slip off 1 switch and they were correct - there are as they said just two options for route setting - unlike a double slip that has four combinations and does require 2 switches. 

Can't work out which to do, up grade my Bachmann mk1 suburbans or the dapol suburbans or have a go at a MSE bracket signal. But will probably end up doing the psychology and sociology essay instead. Not so much fun but far more important if I want to go to university. 

Just finished converting my shunting yard to DCC operation. Very pleased with the results, but who said you only need two wires for DCC operation? Not so easy with live frog pointwork.

Now to start on building my brand new loco shed area.

(Previous post cut off half-way through for some reason. I had that happen with a much lengthier one a few days back - everything lost before I had a chance to go back to a previous screen or save what I had already worked on). Please note, Adam.

The last but one session in the loft was all about re-commissioning the tracks that existed before the upgrade. I had not used it for a couple of months and so the track was filthy, a couple of soldered joints had failed and quite a few connecting wires had been disturbed so needed re-connecting. Plus a couple of points needed adjusting as the blades were not passing current. I must get around to modifying all my points as the tiny sprung piece of metal that makes the contact is often unreliable. I need to put a jumper wire to bypass it.

Most is OK now though with a class 20 D8169 on test duty traversing light engine on most of the main part of the layout, but platform 7 is still dead so that needs looking at. 

The card kits were ordered on-line on Sunday and landed on Tuesday, so yesterday I repaired a subway and started constructing bay platform 1 - a combination of new and repaired card pieces. Not yet finished, but well on the way. 

Once that is done, I need to re-commission the low level branch and run a test DMU between platforms 1-3 of the main station to bay platforms 2 and 3 of the branch station. The track will need a good clean. After that I had best press on with finishing the main station building and constructing the island platform buildings so passengers on platform 2/3 can have some facilities.

Platform 1 wont have any facilities as it stands but I am thinking about getting a SQuick station building just for the canopy and the two small buildings that support it - but would be a  waste of not required actual station building. I could do with a canopy over the subway entrance though. 

All good fun and looking forward to getting my 3 new railroad mk1 s in maroon and then a further 4 on my birthday that is only 10 days away !

Hi all 

Well at the moment Emails flying back wards and forwards between me and a model maker

Trying to finalise design criterior for some very non standard signal equipment for my railway

That none of the model signal makers or special interest model railway groups make

So this is going to hurt the wallet badly

regards John

Plaform 1 now built in card and temporarily sited.  A start made on one of the the island platform kits with the 3 buildings constructed with the canopy and gents roof to make. 

First train to depart platform 2 was a Stanier 2-6-4 tank with 2 composites and a brake 2nd in Maroon - Triang - forming a local service down the main line. Then from platform 1 a Black 5 with three Mk1 Railroad/standard BGs and 2 ex LMS parcel vans on a local parcels. A class 40 with 6 Lima maroon MK1s then passed though platform 3 on a cross country service..

Severe problems with de-tailments though - eventually tracked down to 1 of the ex LMS parcels vans - some fluff wound around an axle seemed to cause the issue over a point. 

The down relief through platform 7 is now working - must have been a dodgy connection.   

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I cleaned the track to the low level branch line in order to "re-commission" the branch after a few months out of use during my extension of the main line station.

However all was dead so took me a while to trace 2 broken connections on the points and track power supply. I then ran an intense class 105 DMU shuttle service between the new bay platform 1 of the main station and platforms 2 and 3 of the branch terminus. Its working, but there are a few places where the trains hesitate so more track cleaning is required. 

I have also been continuing building SQuick Island platform buildings, but still not finished so no facilities for passengers on the main station island platform 2/3 yet. Plus no roof on the new main building either !

Test running on the new sections is also continuing as I want to be sure its all OK before ballasting. and fastening down the new platforms. .

Finished the island platform buildings so platform 2/3 now have faciliies for the passengers. I also resoldered a broken wire to the trailing bogie pick ups on a LIMA class 47. 

Also ran an intense branch line DMU service of green Hornby 101 3 car,  2 car Derby Lightweight and class 105 Cravens. I did try the Hornby class 110 3 car but it just kept de-railing on a Peco short radius Y point, I suspect the trailer cars are just too light but it could well be the point as the 110 never had any issues before. I may replace the Y point with a conventionl one to eliminate any issues. . . 

Also had issues on a piece of track with the Derby lightweight (but nothing else) not taking a curve but that is sorted now.

I then finished off with a steam service of a Bman jinty and 3 Tr-ang maroon MK1 s replacing  the "failed" class 110, . 

Overall, the new track and the re-commissioned branch seems to be operating OK now, so I must press on with finishing off the main station building, fixing down the track properly, ballasting and the scenic work around the new sections. Plus its about time I ran all my locos again as some have not run for 6 months.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had a more time in the loft over the last 2 weekends and now I am happy with the track layout and the running I have started the scenic bits. 

It seeme to take ages fiddling about, but I have re-constructed a retaining wall/embankment, done some ballasting, painted the rail sides of most of the new track and planted the station master's house with some fencing and grass all around, and laid a flagged path to where the front gate will be. The station car park is also laid with tarmac, and a small area polyfillered and then coal dust and brown flock powder put on to simulate a "waste area between some tracks.  

I have also made progress on the main station building which now has a roof and some ridge tiles, with just the clock tower, chimneys, gutters and a few ridge tiles to add.

Next stage is to ballast the new track and glue down the platforms including adding some joining pieces on the brick work between the platform pieces, then planting of the main station building can occur. 

I have not mended the Hornby class 110 yet, but I guess it will be a loose gear wheel as the motor runs but has lost drive.   

Archived