What is everyone doing this weekend with their model railways?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Hymek! The first whitemetal kit I assembled was an 'N' gauge Hymek. I forget which chassis it used, (it was 40 years or so ago!) Weighed a ton, and would almost pull the house wall down!

Not knowing any different, I used 24 hr Araldite to bond the metal. I thought I had it all jigged up square, but when I came to fit the shell onto the chassis - a bit of judicious filing was needed, here, there, and just about everywhere else! It's a good job it was a metal chassis!

If it rain I will be cleaning my track  again. I think I may also wire up my old roco track cleaner and ee if it still works. I took it out some years ago as my nephews children were arround and liked touching the track and did not want to shock them. I am not sure if the modern Hornby locos will like the use of the roco track cleaner but we shall see.

I will probably spend a few hours adding detail to a 3D cad model that I hope to print next month. It is a body for a Great Western 517 class 0-4-2T which I am designing around a spare Hornby GWR Auto tank chassis.

As the real life Auto tanks were a bit bigger than the 517s I've had to take a few liberties by streatching it around 3mm and raising the height of the tanks. Still got tool boxes and a few miscellaneous details to add as well as Boiler fittings. I will probably post a preview when the model develops a little more (assuming Hornby let me)

I, along with my wife and son will be taking my daughter to 'Accepted Students Day' at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. Nothing whatsoever to do with any layout building or model trains but I will be inflicting a ride up on the North East Corridoor route into Penn Station on them. My son should enjoy it! 

I will probably spend a few hours adding detail to a 3D cad model that I hope to print next month. It is a body for a Great Western 517 class 0-4-2T which I am designing around a spare Hornby GWR Auto tank chassis.

As the real life Auto tanks were a bit bigger than the 517s I've had to take a few liberties by streatching it around 3mm and raising the height of the tanks. Still got tool boxes and a few miscellaneous details to add as well as Boiler fittings. I will probably post a preview when the model develops a little more (assuming Hornby let me)

The 3D model so far:

/media/tinymce_upload/7055e91b234e3f5cae37d6407f1c91fc.jpg

What am I doing with my layout this weekend?

Well, at present, I have a new gradient of around 80 degrees!!! The layout has been up ended to work beneath it. I put a lot of thought into the layout aiming to do everything possibile underneath (except loco detection LOL) so I wouldn't have to ask people to lift it for me. But, I over looked the points needing replacements! So I am cutting back/removing all existing wires from DCC Bus and decoders and rewiring back to the point motor, allowing a loop of slack so that if I need to replace a point or point motor in future I can do it from above.  Frustrating as it is, a man's got to do what a man's got to do, in other words after I have run my wife here, and there, etc. first!  ;o)

Have a nice weekend guys what ever you are doing, for your layout or for your wives/families.

The 3D model so far:

Very nice are you doing it though shape ways and have you thought of doing one to the correct dimensions for the scratch builders. 

Not this weekend as I am doing the annual accounts for the local Scout Group, but I am planning on remodelling my main station.

The staion has three through platforms and two bays, but to make it more interesting to operate I am planning to make the two bays into through platforms and then add one of two bay platforms. Not quite as easy as it sounds as I will have to relocate the station building and put tracks where the station approach and car park is. I was toying with completely dismantling the layout and starting afresh - but not just ready for another 5 years work just yet, so the above plan should re-ignite my interest. 

I also have a Peco point to mend. The point blades had detached from the tie bar ? So I glued them back on the other week and the spring etc needs adding to finish - a very fiddly job for me now and can take a while to get it located properly. Many of my points must be 15 plus years old now and so are starting to fail and need a lot of tweaking to keep working correctly.

I'm starting afresh. It's mainly gonna be Hornby only to save cost and defy the Hornby Haters ( ok maybe some peco). Its a small layout mainly gonna do a bit on the hornby mat so I'm not quite comfortable to show pictures.

Its going to be steam but small steam like the J15 and I will probaly get the K1 later on. Also going to collect the private owner wagons. If I do get any of the B-team it will be via G.Farish for my N gauge which I've cut down a lot.

I've started to put down the underlay now the Hornby mat (it wont be exactly to as I will make ajustments here or there and make my layout a bit longer).

Then Lay the track which I enjoy also thanks to my underlay I can pin it down with Hornby pins I'm not excatly going use much glue as in the quite far future I'm going to build a bigger layout when I get the confidence.

I've got some buildings to place too.

The 3D model so far:

Very nice are you doing it though shape ways and have you thought of doing one to the correct dimensions for the scratch builders. 

Hi Fazy,

The answers to your two questions that I will probably use Shape ways for the final but I will probably use another printing service for a test run (using a lower quality material just to make sure the chassis fits!

As to a scale version, The answer is probably going to be a bit complex since the class were build in several batches and with the various rebuilds there were variations in the real thing.

The body I am producing is from a Col. Templar drawing in J Rusell's Great Western Engines and will be the right length for the version with outside frames to the trailing wheels and rebuilt with a closed cab. This is also the same length as the 14XX chassis so in theory everything should be OK.

However, the model I want is of 1473, Fair Rosamund which retained the inside bearings even after receiving it's closed cab and had valencing below the footplate more akin to the open cabed versions the drawings for which are shorter. As a result the model I am currently producing will probably be a Hybrid, 3mm too long for 1473 yet with the wrong vallencing for some of the others. Having said that there are so many different variations the body might match at least one prototype, but more by luck than judgement!

However, if my attempt is sucessful I will probably produce a second with more consistent details. Having said all that if my 1473 doesnt look quite right I might end up shortening the body1473 and chop the 3mm off the end of the chaissis!

Regards

Steve

Playmobil castle is currently winning my 6 year old's heart, and given the ferocity of the assault on said castle by the emenies ( really ) , then cock o the north has been forced to withdraw to the sideboard. SDJR tank; standing its ground. Massive casualties amongst rolling stock.

Just thought I'd give everyone a glimpse into my New York train experience last weekend. Now I've done this journey many times so I knew what to expect, but this time it was enough to put even the hardiest of train fans off. Essentially my journey to NYC is about an hour drive north to Hamilton where we park and get New Jersey transit train on Amtrac's Northeast Corridor route into Penn Station NYC. Now Penn station is a gloomy, completely underground eyesore. It's directly beneath Madison Square Garden on the site of the old Penn Station which was a beautiful historical landmark. Whoever decided to bulldoze it in I think 1963 should be introduced to some of Wobbly's guns. Anyway, they did and we have what we have. The New Jersey Transit hall is relatively nice 'Art Deco' (I think) with I believe 16 platforms. And this is where the fun occurs. The waiting area is a hall that is simply not big enough for the number of people who use it. Even in quiet times it is very crowded with people sitting on stairs as there is no room on the main floor. Saturday was NOT one of these quiet times! It was shoulder to shoulder throughout the entire place. Then you add that you aren't told which platform your train will be departing from until 10 minutes before it is due to depart. If you're not conveniently close to that platform you have to fight your way through the crowd to get there. Bear in mind there are several hundred others trying to do the same thing at the same time. Then, to add insult to injury (and I am sure there have been and will be more injurys) each platform is below another level and to get there you have to go through narrow lift style doors so these hundreds of people are all converging on 1 narrow door with only 10 minutes to get onto a train. Imagine a stampeding herd of buffalo heading for  a single door.

It's enought to make this train lover want to go by bus next time, especially as his son was crushed in the fiasco and was quite upset. Spoiled his enjoyment.

Give me London Liverpool Street any day!

Well the viaduct for new 1960's/70's retro layout is growing, off to a train fair to expand it even more as it will be on a double track Super 4 route. The viaducts and bridges were originally Tri-ang items and Hornby still make them today and the Grey Brick tops and Crimson brick fits in with the era nicely as they were available like this in the 1970's.

/media/tinymce_upload/5d0676e3ec85f0d4f0ddcf2be1e504e9.JPG

Archived