Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Ratch. Those 60's designs were so good looking.

I've taken a short break from my Lafayette scratchbuild ship and am building 4 kits at once as a change. The Airfix Vickers light tank, Airfix HP42, the Roden 1:144 DC3 in BEA colours and the Roden Bristol Britannia. Should complete the lot in a couple of weeks then back to the Lafayette!

The price reflects that this is a Gerry Anderson licenced product and, as with all licenced products, we're expected to pay a premium for the pleasure. They look a little cartoonish rather than scale models, but I don't mind the quirkiness. Just something a little different.

Ayup...

And the Almighty help me I took the plunge and got me a new expensive trick Mosquito... and an Old Skool stand pack which I’ve been asking for for donkeys years... I hope the Mossie is up to the hype. Why is the ‘G’ word for the almighty banned ? It’s his normal name after all.

Hi Heather

That wimpy looks interesting. The Portez 63:1 is a brilliant kit i made it years ago, arguably Heller/Azur best kit. Maybe looks a bit Me110-ish but personally i think it has fare better lines. The interior is probably Heller's best especially WW2 aircraft, it includes radios even oxygen bottles, pity Heller didn't see fit to upgrade some of their other models to a similar standard, pity there's no crew.

Be careful with the undercarriage it's a bit complicated and over engineered, the underneath guns are very fragile, I broke mine off three times while doing the assembly, also the propeller blades are also very fragile. With a bit of care the engines are a work of art, or they were back in the 60's.

I recently made the Heller Portez 63:II, and what a joy to build. I was very tempted to try the red and yellow cowlings but chickened out. It made quite a stir when I took it to our local I.P.M.S. meeting.

I often wondered how it would have faired it the Germans had put a couple of DB 601 on it would it have been better than the 110?

Nice to see the kit is still around if one turns up in Cape Town i could be very very tempted, enjoy the build and have fun.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

Hi Heather
That wimpy looks interesting. The Portez 63:1 is a brilliant kit i made it years ago, arguably Heller/Azur best kit. Maybe looks a bit Me110-ish but personally i think it has fare better lines. The interior is probably Heller's best especially WW2 aircraft, it includes radios even oxygen bottles, pity Heller didn't see fit to upgrade some of their other models to a similar standard, pity there's no crew.
Be careful with the undercarriage it's a bit complicated and over engineered, the underneath guns are very fragile, I broke mine off three times while doing the assembly, also the propeller blades are also very fragile. With a bit of care the engines are a work of art, or they were back in the 60's.
I recently made the Heller Portez 63:II, and what a joy to build. I was very tempted to try the red and yellow cowlings but chickened out. It made quite a stir when I took it to our local I.P.M.S. meeting.
I often wondered how it would have faired it the Germans had put a couple of DB 601 on it would it have been better than the 110?
Nice to see the kit is still around if one turns up in Cape Town i could be very very tempted, enjoy the build and have fun.
Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

Heller/Azur? I didn't know Heller had anything to do with Azur. I thought Azur was from the same place as MPM/Special Hobby.

Chris

The Portez 63:1 is a brilliant kit i made it years ago, arguably Heller/Azur best kit.m

I don’t think the Azur kit has anything in common with the Heller one, save the scale. It’s got PE, resin and vac form transparencies. ;-)

I built the Azur Potez 63-11 a couple of years back, and can agree the undercarriage is a proper French fancy. So many doors, sliding over each other but little to attach them to!

I now have both Airfix Wimpies in the stash. It’s very tempting to do a parallel build of both. Perhaps, one day.

I believe Azur used the old Heller kits or molds to market their own brand but they often added some phot-etch and or resin interior parts as Heller were notorious for having sparse interiors if any at all.

I have the Azur Breguet 693 and it's identical to the old Heller kit, even down to the decals, although the decals do say Azur. Unfortunately Azur haven't added any interior parts to the Breguet 693.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom.

I have the Azur Breguet 693 and it's identical to the old Heller kit, even down to the decals, although the decals do say Azur. Unfortunately Azur haven't added any interior parts to the Breguet 693.

That's interesting. I recently built the Azur Br693, and it had engraved panel lines and full interior detail (including plugs to fill the wing roots in the fuselage), resin engines and PE details. I guess a new tool was made.

I have to say none of the Azur kits I've built appear to have originated from anywhere other than the Special Hobby family. A complete lack of parts being numbered on the trees is a good example. *shrug*

EDIT: I just checked the Scalemates web site, and Azur made a new tool in 2011. It was recently reboxed under the Special Hobby branding.