Boxes

I'm just taking every opportunity as they arise to promote my forum tips.....on the basis that many of them might actually help newbies (and some old dogs too - new tricks) to get the best experience they can from the forum.

Since I have just removed your duplicate post, maybe you might review TIP7 yourself 😛

@ W. T. D. :- Very Funny

@ Chris :- Funny - you got your own back!!!

(Now now children!!!  😉 😆)

I agree with W. T. D. & M. R. Keep the boxes & don't throw them!!!

But most importantly @ Choo Choo :- Do what I have done - get some shelf brackets & place them on like so...

/media/tinymce_upload/8d0099c43cc7e93c0c91938e37043ce8.JPG

or just plonk them any where...

/media/tinymce_upload/12e142a5f3ab8e89c45534f1744fd85d.JPG

on top of a CD rack or even...

/media/tinymce_upload/71a29505cb335872ce6f4a1029a7c2f1.JPG

on top of the SKY Box whick is on top of the DVD Player which is on top of the TV!!! 😉

Or even...

/media/tinymce_upload/3be08b4abe36607bbd24d379aa1fa0e9.JPG

use the boxes to make a Back-drop scenery!!!

& then with your Locos...

/media/tinymce_upload/bec32294005c6d6da652699989218141.JPG

Make shelf units for them to sit on / to be displayed!!!

I've made a video to show you how...Click here --> 

I keep all my boxes, and for my older stuff which was bought at toyfairs and car boots  without boxes I have bought replica boxes, obtained from the HRCA spares people and the Triang Society.

The cardboard tubes inside the rolls of cling-film etc. I cut up into 1/2" lengths to replace the cardboard rings used by Triang to protect couplings.

When not in use on my layout the trains stay in their boxes but these in turn are kept inside the fruit trays which you get empty at Tesco and these are stacked inside my fully insulated, and floored attic.

Many of my kit built and scratch built wagons live in trays which used to contain twelve tins of cat food. These in turn are stacked inside the Tesco Fruit Trays. The cat food trays are just deep enough to contain a van or a tank wagon below the level of the sides. 

The few train sets I have and the train packs remain in their original boxes when not in use. I do however remove the track from sets which I keep all together in a large cardboard box, which makes it easier when constructing a loose laid layout for exhibition or for the grand-kids to play with.

I find it is easier to store locos etc in therir square boxes than loose like shops do, that way they can be stored 5 or 6 boxes high where as loose two high maximum in a carboard box twith cardboard inbetween each layer with out damaging the bottom layer.

I never return my locos to their boxes unless I decide to sell one. I reckon taking them in and out of the tight fitting boxes is when damage occurs.

They are much happier on here.

/media/tinymce_upload/f36aeb3d4b074f0a76c619770e74ddcb.jpg

Or in here.

/media/tinymce_upload/0bc5adb38d2fb824760bf436275de269.jpg

@WTD

Your right about tight fitting boxes being where the damage is likely to occur.

As soon as I add the detail parts, I take a knife to the inside of the box and open it up so that the item goes in and out my easier, but is still protected for storage. (Yes I know this may affect resale value, but then adding the detail parts probably does as well, and I don't care.)

My pet hate is manufacturers not leaving enough space for alternate couplings - and Hornby are guilty of this, with newer Electrotren packaging designs (amongst others) not having space for the R8220 Roco clone.

I used to keep my models in the boxes unless they were being used but because the boxes are usually quite a tight fit and likely to cause damage when being removed frequently, I now store them in some 'modified' shoe boxes. 

I keep the original boxes safely as well though.

@ LD&DR :- Do you shop @ Tescos by any chance???  😉 😆 😀

Why should you suspect that!  😆

But I also shop at Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Iceland, Farm Foods, One Stop, Nisa, in fact virtually every grocery shop in a ten mile radius, but Tesco has the best selection of free cardboard boxes!

I have rarely, if ever sustained damage to the model by taking them out, or putting them back into the original boxes. The old expanded polystyrene trays could be a bit of a pain, but the clear plastic containers which are moulded to the model and hinge open now used for rolling stock, are great!  No problem at all.

I keep all my boxes - they are opened in the first instance very carefully, usually by inserting a twelve inch ruler under the flap - so that it can be lifted as one - no rips.  The price of boxes, usually Hornby, on ebay is staggering - I've seen mint boxes at £35. 

Hi, I too keep the boxes.Whether they  have locos in or are empty I prefer to use banana boxes.Most are made from double thickness cardboard so really strong & durable.

The boxes are designed to carry 40 pounds (lbs),18 kilos of bananas so easily cope with the weight of 16 locos you can get in them.

Trainpacks I find are about 3 inches (75 mm.) too high but because of the lid also can be placed inside.Each box holds either 6  with the postal sleeve on, or 7 without.

The boxes can be stacked up to 9 boxes high, so do not take up a large footprint.

Boxes obtained free from Morissons supermarket, other retail outlets may have them.

Photo 1, 8  x 2 layers of boxes just fit. Note thickness of cardboard.

/media/tinymce_upload/e9ab7f67fe831abe3f21f5276cc524a9.JPG

Photo 2, If trains packs placed in lid just fits./media/tinymce_upload/c08b6bb44fba39a93f38390e5689d4ca.JPG

photo 3 packs just fit upright position./media/tinymce_upload/1e9be89d32ca08cfe5ad59fe040bde0c.JPG