Easterner set ETA

Mr Quint

Happy to report that mine is here and now set up on the living room floor.

Does anyone know if the curved parts of the track are all the same? While stacked, they all looked to be identical but now that I've got it all together, there are a few kinks in the curved ends. Might be just the way I've got it pushed together, though. I can't find an itemised contents list to check. Thanks.

<gulp> Please reassure us you've got some sort of hard surface and not carpet? Carpet fluff is absolute death for small scale locos.

It's quite normal for sectional track curves to need careful aligning to prevent kinks, and of course make sure all the joiners are correctly located. It's best to join tracks together while on a surface not in mid air.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine set up on the table and loco run in...set was complete and no problems.

Just one question...the coaches produce a rubbing sound, presumably from the bogies on the 3rd radius curves. Anyone else noticed this ?

Very pleased with the TT so far, hats off to Hornby.

My first post, haven't managed to set a nick name yet, so sorry, Moderator.

Cheers

Steve

Mine here and all set up. One minor problem one front buffer is missing! I've sent e mail with photo to Hornby.

I bought all the track loose so as not to wait for the track packs. One question is how do you power it all with one power rail? If I go of the outside oval it becomes dead once the points are re set for travel on the inner oval. There is no extra power rail in the track packs as far as I can see.

Mine here and all set up. One minor problem one front buffer is missing! I've sent e mail with photo to Hornby.
I bought all the track loose so as not to wait for the track packs. One question is how do you power it all with one power rail? If I go of the outside oval it becomes dead once the points are re set for travel on the inner oval. There is no extra power rail in the track packs as far as I can see.

Not good about missing buffer :(

It depends on if you intend DCC or DC operation, and if DC will you be running 2 locos?

One question is how do you power it all with one power rail? If I go of the outside oval it becomes dead once the points are re set for travel on the inner oval. There is no extra power rail in the track packs as far as I can see.

Always plan for at least one feed per track oval. Usually each oval would then have its own DC controller, though you can join the cabling using a distribution board if desired (ensuring the polarity matches). You would also join the feed cabling if you're running DCC. I would also fit isolating joiners between the points at crossovers between the ovals.

Personally I wouldn't be using the power feed track anyway other than initial playing with the set. It's a bit bulky. For my layout I'll be soldering feed wiring to the underside of the rails at appropriate places.

If you only intend to use one loco & controller (on DC) until HM7k DCC becomes available - the simplest solution would be to fit the DCC point clips (to prevent the points from isolating the power).

If however you want multiple controllers (& locos) on DC then each controller will need a dedicated feed to the separate track that it controls.

Since I'm wanting the HM 7000 decoders and app when they're available - would it be an idea to get the cheap HM DC 6000 for now, since I can use the same PSU?

You can use the 6000 module as a static BT node later and its output could power street lights or station building lights, etc, so it won’t be wasted.

The PSU will carry over to HM7K but only to run two or three locos. Any more than that you need a 4-amp brick.

I do think Hornby have done themselves one injustice… the controller they include seems to be responsible for most of the issues… I was thinking of retaining the Hornby track and controller to serve as a dc running in circuit … should never have so the HM Duette years ago!!! I will have to see how bad it is on Monday…

@Rallymatt the old Duette is a bit coarse for modern motors. You'd be better off with something like a Gaugemaster Combi or similar.

I still have the cases for my old H&M Clipper and its add-on controller pack, still using the power transformer in the main unit but the resistance mats and half-wave switch etc. were replaced with simple Gaugemaster 100 panel-mount units back in the 90s. They now serve as back-up power at exhibitions should my usual controllers or power supply fail.

I'll be interested to see how the A4 responds to various types of power when mine arrives on Monday. I have pure DC, PWM, PWM + feedback to try.

They are all the same apart from a single 6th radius curve which is meant to be used with the siding.

12 x 3rd radius curves
1 x 6th radius curve

Quite why hornby called it a 6th radius is beyond me, should have called it the point curve or something.

They have caused confusion and delay !*

The radi in the set track increases by 43 mm for each piece, so technically a 5th radius piece would be 439, 6th 482, 7th 525 etc.

*quote from the fat controller.

The Easterner joins The Scotsman grinning It is marketed as Table Top and indeed it is. Just working out what will fit onto a modest two section baseboard, something I can bring into the house and put on the table, and enjoy.

Very pleased to see the enthusiasm on this forum for TT... let's hope that Heljan resurrect some plans for a locomotive, or maybe Accurascale will dip their toes

Anyway, the Easterner is superb and runs well..hats off to Hornby.

Steveforum_image_63deb3d37bf9b.thumb.png.978ad3d2cfafffa619fa7d573186ece6.png

Message to fat controller - delay? What delay?

A quick look at the TT:120 catalogue and documentation tells you the standard track spacing is 43mm and consequently the difference in radius of each of R1 to R4 is 43mm ending at an R4 of 396mm.

Then separately you can look at the layout diagrams accompanying the track pack descriptions to see there is an R6 curve of 15 degrees and radius 640mm which neatly brings the 15 degree 631mm radius point back to parallel and, just as importantly, gives a horizontal length of 166mm so the same length as standard straights.

And was I confused by all of this? No I wasn’t. But then I had first the advantage of being familiar with geometry from OO and Anyrail and second used the catalogue and documentation equivalent of RTFM to guide me. QED.

Ah you see, Being as this was my first foray into model trains since I was a nipper I was not particularly familiar with the track geometry when I first decided I wanted to get into TT, and like a few in that position, wondered why does it go 4 to 6 ?!

It was only when I downloaded SCARM and the Hornby TT Trackpack and started playing, that it clicked. I still think it should not be called radius 6 though blush

Catalogue ... hmm, a glossy brochure... I remember them grinning

Back OT, good to see the pics guys thumbsup

Ah you see, Being as this was my first foray into model trains since I was a nipper I was not particularly familiar with the track geometry when I first decided I wanted to get into TT, and like a few in that position, wondered why does it go 4 to 6 ?!
It was only when I downloaded SCARM and the Hornby TT Trackpack and started playing, that it clicked. I still think it should not be called radius 6 though blush

Catalogue ... hmm, a glossy brochure... I remember them grinning

Back OT, good to see the pics guys thumbsup

Its almost as though folks have forgotten that the intended customer to TT120 are new entrants to the hobby and not necessarily those with umpteen years experience modelling and a million and ten forum posts to their name.