2023 Range Launch Announcement

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that there are several locos (sound fitted) but when you go down to the specs it is only DCC Ready. I got caught out on that once before and when I complained they said you should read the specs, not the title, so I then had to spend another couple of hundred quid to get the loco with sound in the specs.

Not a great deal there to float my boat, except perhaps the Stanier 8F in LMS livery. I'd really like that even though it isn't in my modelling region. Might pre-order it. I was keeping my fingers crossed for an R1 too. Maybe next time.

Nothing there for me, which I'm quite happy about. I suppose the S&DJR loco's would look nice pulling a rake of the S&DJR coaches when they arrive. The new Gresley teaks should please some on here as there has been several posts about the teaks. I used to see the Blue Deltic very regularly during my train spotting days in the late fifties/early sixties, so it might look good in the collection?

The new Bluetooth sound system does look very exciting.

A couple of 8F's & the Fowler for me, but, after pre-ordering the smoke generating Black 5 & Scotsman, then finding out they won't be available for a year, my days of pre-ordering are over.

Seeing as the new 2023 loco's I'm interested in won't be out until next autumn, I'll take my chances waiting for them to arrive in the shops.

Maybe they should have been in next years catalogue!

On a brighter note. Now that China seems to be getting back to some form of normality, perhaps production will speed up a little. Time will tell.

Whilst it's great to see that Hornby are making another batch or two of Gresley Teaks. What I would like to have seen is some First and/or third class opens too. Of the thirds many have survived into preservation as they relatively easy to convert for other "departmental" uses being the equivalent of the modern BR Mk1s, 2s, 3s and so on.

The same can be said of the other 3 of the big 4 companies too. Of course pre-war most used corridor stock. With the opens being for excursion trains or to make up extra trains at a busy time.

Whilst it's great to see that Hornby are making another batch or two of Gresley Teaks. What I would like to have seen is some First and/or third class opens too. Of the thirds many have survived into preservation as they relatively easy to convert for other "departmental" uses being the equivalent of the modern BR Mk1s, 2s, 3s and so on.

The same can be said of the other 3 of the big 4 companies too. Of course pre-war most used corridor stock. With the opens being for excursion trains or to make up extra trains at a busy time.

Sorry but a little underwhelmed. For modellers on a budget there wasn’t much apart from a couple of Railroad locos that looked interesting. Disappointing support for sound and particularly TTS which is great value. No apparent re- runs of the existing range and would like to have seen the Deltic TTS chip available separately. Finally I would love a DP1 as I am a big Deltic fan, but £320?? I have a Bachmann DP1 which was about 1/2 of that which may just have to suffice - The Accurascale Deltic was a triumph and on that basis I have a 37 about to arrive - they are turning out superb models with custom sound for £250-£270. I know what you will say - “don’t buy it then” - agreed but a little disappointed

Update - I’m less disappointed now having digested all the detail. HM7000 could be a triumph and assuming we get a CL55 sound file, addresses all my TTS concerns. I’ve ordered the TXS Class 73 so we will see how it performs when it arrives. The DP1 is due Winter next year, so although a lot of money, there is plenty of time to save up for it should I choose that option. Will take time to buy catalogue and look in more detail now.

With uncertainty in the economy and unsold stock and 2022 releases pushed back I don’t think it would have been realistic to expect much new this year. No point in making it if don’t think you can sell it. Would have been nice though to see some articulated Gresley coaches to go with the teaks but maybe next year when things will hopefully look brighter.

Quite a wide variety of stuff this year isn't there? And I'm glad to see Hornby catering for modellers who can't always afford the super-detail stuff. Plenty of Railroad Range things that won't break the bank (although are still arguably more expensive than they're actually worth). Lots of inconsistencies in the product descriptions with DCC specification, number of coaches/wagons in a pack amongst other things. I'm sure these will be sorted in time though.

Not much in the way of new tooling, which is fair enough because there are so many things from up to three years ago still waiting to be delivered *ahem*Standard 2MT*ahem*.

Highlights for me:

A return of the GWR Castle is a welcome move, which I'm sure will please a lot of people, (although a BR livery is what I'm after).

I'm tempted by the Stannier 8F, but at that price point... Hm, will have to think.

The 14xx makes a return too, another one on my list. Given there are no other models on the market, this one will have to do, although I hear it's not the best runner.

The Caledonian Single set looks attractive too, I've always loved the CR blue. Another maybe for me.

Also worth watching Simon Kohler's message at the start of this video, very humble I thought and a wise decision to have 2023 as a 'year of catch up'.

Nothing for me now I have done a set of Railroad Teaks that look fine to the eye stained up with correct colour underframes. Just around £110 inc paints and stains and a few wheels I already had (even though I bought another pack by accident) for 8 coaches. I have the NRM Bachmann Deltic and am more than happy with that. I have no interest in Beatles myth junk. The only thing I can see that I will buy is the catalogue at present as I have evry year for about 30 years (inc that poor relation one from a few years back) Far too much regenerated Triang toy stuff still being made at ridiculous prices. Eg last year the Ex Dapol 12 wheel Restaurant Car was RRP at around £66, now it can be picked up new at a more sensible £24. Price is the point where I draw the line and that is about £150 for a loco and about £35 for a coach.

Edited because I forgot the 2 brake coaches to make 8 in total.

Well a light year for the LMS, not a bad thing really waiting for a Princess from last year. Still undecided on a Black 5. Was not expecting them to churn out the 8f’s it’s a bit old now not a bad model but it would be hard for Hornby to announce a re-tool now if another player comes out with a all singing and dancing model later in the year. which is growing more and more likely to be honest.

Some nice models and a few surprises, despite all the armchair critics comments out there.

First, glad to see Hornby playing catch-up.

Personally, pleased to see the 9F with Westinghouse air pumps. Will now have an appropriate model for my Consett ore wagons. Also, nice to see the Deltic and Macaw B flat wagons that are announced.

Although not for me, the Dunster range of Skaledale buildings, the B17/5 Sandringham as well as the retro Caledonian train set will likely appeal to many.

Many here have mentioned the Railroader range. Which I [like some] look on as the budget/junior range. I say that as they allow those on a budget or the younger modellers to create something with a "flavour" of which ever big 4 outfit they're modelling. The one main thing I've notice though over recent times is that the price is becoming more and more expensive and not far short of the super detailed models.......

I am fairly happy!

Hornby have released Queen Adelaide's Coach (R40357) which comes with 1st Globe and 1st Wellington. Queen Adelaide's coach is a preserved 1842 carriage, so Hornby have the exemplar, the prototype. This carriage has always been a secret wish for me. Upon launch, this was in the basket, immediately!

LMR 58 Tiger is announced (R30233) and the 1930s copper embellishment given to Lion is dispensed with. Looking very smart there Tiger. Tiger also made its way into my basket.

Hornby has now provided me with a small issue. What to do about the other manufacturer's Lion, currently on order? There was to be a run off, with the lesser of the two becoming Tiger. That can't happen now! What to do? What to do? For now, a think.

I note a 2nd class carriage in R30090, depicted by Ackerman, Booth and Walker in their period illustrations. These started life much as the 3rd blue carriages, but when customers complained about burnt clothing, front and rear walls were added. A roof was added, with curtains on the sides. LMR ran entire consists of 2nd class carriages, which was the local train. With only one 2nd class carriage in the set, I passed. I await three packs of this carriage, so an entire consist can be properly arranged.

19 minutes in from launch, my pre-orders were complete. LMR9 Planet remains a dream, just like Patentee.

Bee