HM 7000 Android App availability

Brush 47

Just wondering on how the warranty on the chips work since I've had them for almost 2 months, but haven't yet installed them because of the android app issue.

If you have a genuine problem (not finger trouble) then in event of a warranty claim if it is nearing time out, you explain you had to wait for the Android app then the claim would be honoured.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the app developer or the product development team can't feed back to the Board the information to allow them to make an informed decision on an important product launch then that is a problem (NOT an excuse).

I completely agree with you on that point - and it would be an equal problem (not excuse) if information were presented & a decision taken which completely ignored it.

Any such decisions will never be publicly disclosed - so they remain pure speculation.

All that can actually be known is that product releases are business decisions - therefore made by people senior to the individual specific development teams.

Absolutely agree LT&SR, it is a project team’s responsibility to inform and guide the decision makers in an organisation so they make informed business decisions.

Had to do exactly that for a living back in the day.

Thanks very much for the screen shots but does anyone have any idea when the Android app will be ready to release? I bought my first two decoders nearly 2 months ago and am waiting for the Android app because I plan to use it on my Samsung S22 phone. However, I would like to ask how practical it is to use the app on a phone with a 6" screen, or would I be better off investing in a iPad, thus being able to use the ios app straight away? I don't want to incur the extra cost of an iPad if I don't have to but I am concerned about the practicality of using the app on my S22. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks very much.

I use my iPhone to control the app.
Perfect for the role, easy to hold and easy to operate.
Far better than an IPad.

The thread is about the Android app, which has yet to launch, but is with the test team. The adoption of an iPad was suggested by an Android phone user, unlikely to have an iPhone.

Thanks for your comment, William David, I assume your iPhone has a 6" screen also and you have no problems using the app on it and think it's better than an iPad? Essentially, I should just wait for the Android app and not bother with an iPad? :-) Cheers.

I don’t have an iPhone to directly compare iOS and Android phone screens, but essentially the app layout is the same on iPad and Android, except for restrictions on screen size and if landscape or portrait. This means some buttons have abbreviated text on a phone or if screen aspect is flipped over. There is some customisation possible for a user to set it up as they prefer.

I've invested in a 2nd hand 2ndGen Iphone SE for £90 to allow me to use the decoders. I'm normally an android user and currently use my Samsung Note 10 as my DCC controller for my non HM7000 loco's so i'm working on the premise that buying an old Iphone that will run iOS16 to use as a controller will be cheaper than investing in a new DCC control system such as NCE or heaven forbid Hornby Elite!

I've invested in a 2nd hand 2ndGen Iphone SE for £90 to allow me to use the decoders. I'm normally an android user and currently use my Samsung Note 10 as my DCC controller for my non HM7000 loco's so i'm working on the premise that buying an old Iphone that will run iOS16 to use as a controller will be cheaper than investing in a new DCC control system such as NCE or heaven forbid Hornby Elite!

I was seriously thinking of doing the same but live in hope that either (a) the time will come very quickly when I can use my Samsung or (b) there will be a definate "no" that it can't

I am surprised that we haven't heard anything yet :(

It won’t be option b.

As has been said before, the android app is being tested with just a few outstanding bugs on the to do list. But what the testers have so far is proving to be quite robust.

From what was said in interview with George who is heading up the project, Android won’t be released until some of the key issues in the iOS version of app have been resolved, so I’m expecting an updated iOS app to be released before the android one finally goes live.

This discussion will go round and round and get nowhere as even when the app is considered ready for release it has to get through the various app and play store launch procedures and we saw how long that took when the iOS version was released.

This discussion locked for now until a firm date can be given.