Hornby Steam Generator locos, where are they

David-358886

Those are not the only ones that have disappeared off the website. R30132TXS (a 9F with sound fitted) has also vanished off the website and doesn't show up in search either. I have this and the steam Flying Scotchman on pre order too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Colin B….. I seem to remember you worked at Ford, here are a couple of recent examples of a company announcing product to customers that wasn’t available for several years…Ford Focus CC, Ford Mondeo (5th Gen)

In manufacturing it’s quite common place to announce product in advance and in other situations various events cause sometimes massive delays.

@Colin B….. I seem to remember you worked at Ford, here are a couple of recent examples of a company announcing product to customers that wasn’t available for several years…Ford Focus CC, Ford Mondeo (5th Gen)
In manufacturing it’s quite common place to announce product in advance and in other situations various events cause sometimes massive delays.

Ford had a habit of redesigning one end at a time. First the front would get a rework, then the back end would catch up a couple of years later.

I never put much stock in when a model is expected to arrive. Until the item is actually onboard the ship headed for the UK IMO nobody including the manufacturer really has a clue when the model will arrive. This is not just for Hornby, but for all manufacturers building their products in China. Accurascale really have no clue IMO when their models will arrive. I will eat by hat if their Class 50 and Class 66 arrive any time before 2024.

Accurascale have been very proactive with their products, and maintain very good communications.

There are obvious moments when information may be a little 'redacted' but you generally feel to be 'in the loop' whereas with Hornby it's one of those balloons your toddler lets fly away into the sky, which may land anywhere between home and the next continent.

Al.

I had the Black 5 on preorder for over a year. I recently gave up because I’m moving into TT120 so I guess Hornby still gets its money. Ironically I also had an Accurascale Manor on preorder. What’s happened to that? I bought the Dapol one instead which is beautiful

I do admit, that Manor does seem to be dragging a lot, and the Dapol version has had pretty decent reviews.

I know for the diesels they're pretty much on it, and always respond quickly to all questions. I'm not interested in the Manor myself, so haven't followed that thread too closely.

Al.

Accurascale communicate that is true. However, IMO they are no better than any other manufacturer about when their products will arrive.

I have a Class 37 on order and another Deltic and a couple of Mk1 coaches. I was assured the other day that their Class 66 and Class 50 would arrive somewhat on time. I will be extraordinarily surprised either arrive before 2024.

Pandemics aside, all the accurascale projects are on time, or if there are any complications, clearly communicated why and the impact - you can also see the status of everything on the 'Projects Status' table on the website (under news and in the account area) or just send a chat, email, DM or SMS to the team - the chaps there are very responsive :)

All the projects in your list are on schedule from their launch dates, a few are even expected to come in ahead of time :)

The ACS Class 37 was announced in 2019 I think. They will not have the first run of the machine complete until late in 2023. I don't see how that is any better than Hornby or the other manufacturers. I like Hornby and Accurascale products both, however, I am not going to slam Hornby and give ACS, Rapido, etc a pass.

The Deltic delivery date was pushed back. I believe the same is true for the Manor from the original date. I could be wrong. As for the 50 and 66 I will be surprised if they arrive as scheduled. The 66 has the best chance as it is an updated Hatton's model.

It did get a tad off-topic!

1st run of A/S 37's have been out for some time.

I admit manufacturer issue/delivery dates are not clear - most simply state 'preorder' or 'due soon'. A/S do default to Quarters, to allow a little flexibility in view of recent global issues.

I can understand the variables - suppliers to factories to (some form of) QC to packaging / distribution, and then there's this famous 'container shortage' which upped the prices considerably.

Then there's the transportation - anyone remember 'Ever Given' and it's cork in a bottle attempt on the Suez Canal?

There's an increasing number of Hornby models which quite simply seem to be so quiet they may no longer exist.

A little more, and clearer communication would be nice - perhaps a 'new models due when' sticky on here - updated on a monthly basis?

Al.

model production is a complicated process the model it’s self isn’t that hard but the research is.

Modellers are a complex group, wanting near enough/ exactly like the real thing steam loco. With robust quality and extra fine detail. In livery’s of ever decade including the made up one in that film they saw 75 years ago. Where for some unknown reason the loco had extra wheels and ran on diesel!

Now we have never had it so good has a modeller, the detail and running quality is light years ahead of what came before. In the 1970s and really up to the 2000s you where lucky if a new model came out. The models that did, didn’t have the valiants If someone did produced a class it was one variant and probably one livery/identity for a few years.

it might be running a little late but we know their coming and will hopefully put some smiles on faces.

The only real alternative is what Bachmann dose now and only announce a model just before they get to the shops. Which cuts down on the wait but gives little time to save up for one and time to research the model to see if you really want one.

well understanding the reason behind Bachman’s decision to do this I am not a fan of it.

I agree about Bachmann's short notice release dates preventing me saving for a loco especially in these difficult times. I have taken advantage of Accurascales 'lay away' scheme wherby I pay around £35 per month for a pre-order loco. So far I have paid for a class 89, almost paid for class 50 and will shortly start paying for class 31. There is a rewards scheme and vouchers available. Hornby should provide similar schemes which benefits the buyer and the company.

+1 for Hornby to implement this on their website. For those that possess patience, seeing current states of progress, builds anticipation & encourages additional/complimentary purchases.

(It won’t prevent complaints from those that lack patience - but then nothing will do that!)

Re: the status page.

I have already gone on record, more than once, that Hornby status updates would be great.

For us.

But would it be good for Hornby? The scale train business appears to be quite cutthroat. The race to grab clients by being first to market with a new model is ever present.

One need only look at Hornby Competitor announcements that are met with a race to preempt that announcement with the same model from Hornby. A competitor retracting an offering, simply because Hornby announces.

Hornby is by far the preeminent OO gauge manufacturer. There are definitely other suppliers, but none can match the breadth of offerings. In being preeminent, with a huge catalog, the organization cannot be nimble. A ponderous organization. One that can be nimble only at certain times but certainly not all.

Therefore, a slow moving organization like Hornby can be overcome by a small nimble organization, simply because Hornby will have published exact status. A competitor need only beat the published data point.

That is, uncertainty works for Hornby, not against it.

Bee

Sure accurascale have the update page. However, my point is that they are experiencing delays like everybody else. So I am not about to criticize Hornby, a significantly larger company, for delays and give accurascale a pass. ACS announced the Class 37 in 2019 and said it would be available in in 2020 I think. We are now heading into the second half of 2023 and they have not yet completely distributed the first run of the Class 37. Every locomotive as far I know Accurascale have promised have faced delays.

Don't get me wrong I like their products, however I don't take their delivery dates seriously at all as they constantly change, just like every other manufacturer.

There are several aspects here.

Obviously, to aspire to, achieve, then maintain 'market leadership' are super important - to the company, and to maintain operations.

There are obviously several levels before a product reaches the marketplace.

Initially is the research - model and potential market / sales potential.

Then there's the development - all as covert as possible to maintain that 'market advantage'.

Then, they need to publicly decide when to declare their intention to market the product.

This includes the fragility of the potential market - should they, shouldn't they ... we're all keen to see 'the new model' so every man / woman and his / her dog says they want 1, 2, 5 .. and off we go.

Is this intention to market made at the point the model is ready, or early on to spur on investment - another option?

Once that intention is declared, is the point we're talking about - both for Hornby, A/S and indeed all others. This still has so many variables to ensure the volume estimates are correct and justified, and indeed achievable. Now let's get it into production.

The bottom line is still there - the goalposts move, A/S are declaring where theirs are and regularly update this, Hornby are not.

Al.

Herein I provide a specific example of how a concise, detailed public schedule can work against the publisher of that schedule.

Rapido obtained the rights for the Titfield Thunderbolt and announced a 1 March 2023 arrival in their warehouse. They would commence shipping to clients,1 March. I ordered one.

Hornby's range release 2022 included trains on film. I ordered the Lady with a Lamp set, as this came with typical LMR glass carriages, albeit un-named. Lion, in Lady with a Lamp and the Titfield Thunderbolt, was withdrawn under threat of suit from both the studio and Rapido. Yet Lion, the locomotive, cannot be so restricted.

What did Hornby do? Not only did Hornby announce LMR 57, Lion, but shipped in Fall 2022, stealing a march on Rapido.

Sure, but where does the true schedule play come in?

Many, like me, have an order for Rapido's Lion. I expected to have a competition, with one to be remade into Tiger, LMR 58. Hornby's range release 2023 included Tiger and shipped it well before 1 March, Rapido's date. I ordered and received Tiger from Hornby.

My Rapido order got canceled as I already had Tiger, no need for 3, although there is always Elephant, LMR 65 also by Todd Kitson and Laird. When they asked me why I was canceling, I told them honestly.

Hornby rearranged their factory order so as to beat Rapido to the punch, making an extraordinary effort to produce models that undercut Rapido. Hornby's Lion and Tiger arrived well before Rapido's scheduled date. That's business in a cutthroat industry. Too many cards on the table permits your competitors room to maneuver.

Yes, I would still like a quarterly update from Hornby. As detailed as can be. That would be great for me, keeping me informed. Unfortunately, that also informs Hornby's competitors.

Bee

Hi Bee, your point is understood - marketing is important, and kept as covert as possible until it needs to be made public.

My point is that once a confirmed intention to produce a model is made, and particularly by a reputable manufacturer as Hornby a 'live, dynamic update' would be very beneficial to all.

What if a preorder is made when a model is announced in, say July 2022, model scheduled to be due during October 2023, then it becomes available during July, 3 months early, when Person X's funds are focused on their Summer holidays - nothing available for purchase.

Unfortunate situation now, without the regular updates, and the model available is Person X cannot make that purchase. Having planned to purchase in October, he/she tries to purchase, only to find all have been sold. The only ones available are on Ebay at a 20-40% mark-up.

An organised structure would help. Presumably sometime during April there would have been an update stating going into production, and 'alternative considerations' could have been made.

Al.