TT:120 HST Swift Is Here

Dodge1965

5 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

They would have removed this by now, but do we really know why the HST digital version was canned?

As far as I know, we never received a good explanation for why they were cancelled. I've conjectured it had to do with decoder shortages, but that's only a guess. And why did they choose to cancel the Swallow in particular? It was an odd situation. Obviously, as your decoder fitting proves, it's not a catastrophe. But it is odd.

Edited by Generic Hornby Username
  • Like 3

Just now, Generic Hornby Username said:

As far as I know, we never received a good explanation for why they were cancelled. I've conjectured it had to do with decoder shortages, but that's only a guess. The choice of which one they cancelled is also curious. And why did they choose to cancel the Swallow in particular? It was an odd situation. Obviously, as your decoder fitting proves, it's not a catastrophe. But it is odd.

It might have been partly driven by that, but the price of that specific model was never increased along with the rest. So maybe it wasn’t being ordered enough and that was a last ditch attempt to make the production run viable which didn’t work (charitable reason), or they messed up the pricing and would have made a loss on it, so cancelled it instead (less charitable reason!). 

• Like 1

Hornby have never given an official reason no.

In addition to the other speculative possibilities suggested, it could also be:
• that the number of preorders placed were not enough for a viable production run.
• that the website fault which caused price rise apparently being overlooked also resulted in a quantity of preorders being placed that couldn’t actually be met by a production run.

Since none of these speculations actually/completely ‘fit’ or explain the reason(s) - they really just highlight the unfortunately inadequate/inaccurate nature of speculation.

12 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

You 2 going for the "most popular" badge or something?????🤩

It appears I already have the “very popular” badge. There’s a first for everything! 

Edited by Moccasin
False advertising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lyndon68 said:

Ok, couldn't resist with the offer of double points.. ordered the train and a couple of the coaches.. proper excited 😆

I don’t blame you… Look forward to seeing action pics!

On 29/02/2024 at 13:05, Dodge1965 said:

Well.... Decoders and speakers installed. Getting screws out of the dummy car chassis , was a challenge. When speaker installed, the wires for speakers are very close the the body screws. Placed loco on track and fell into the profile not being ablew to load bug. My tech support expert found some info on a post and its just now loading the correct profile.

Was gutted when it sounded like a steam engine !!!! Will update as i go on.

There is a gap in the middle at the back of where the speaker goes. Gently pull the wires over the top of the speaker and run through the gap, thus avoiding the screws. I didn't figure that out until fitting the second one.

• Like 2

Be careful stuffing all the excess speaker wire into the space under the speaker, that’s where the gear tower sits. Haven’t seen it properly, but if there are exposed axles or gears, it’s not good to have a bundle of wires touching them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

As far as I know, we never received a good explanation for why they were cancelled. I've conjectured it had to do with decoder shortages, but that's only a guess. And why did they choose to cancel the Swallow in particular? It was an odd situation. Obviously, as your decoder fitting proves, it's not a catastrophe. But it is odd.

I think there could be a technical explanation and I have just realised while making a point above. 
On the HST there is not a sprung pin and PCB contact for the speaker like there is on the tender locos. The cancellation could be as simple as short wired speakers were not available and costs/resources in shortening or bundling up excess wire on standard speakers would have comprised production volumes. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Spooling
  • Like 1

We'll probably never know the real reason for the cancellation. My preferred theory is a panicked reaction to a large number of incoming pre-orders after they forgot to raise the price at the same time as everything else. I was guilty for one of those pre-orders as prior to the price rise I hadn't really considered the Exec HST. Back then I was going to stick with the GWR variant.

Still the cancellation gave me a 20% voucher which I used for many things including the DC version, decoders and the coaches.

Yesterday evening I had great fun doing an extended running in session of my HST over several hours - she runs like a dream and there where no issues other than managing to get it to derail at full speed on radius 2 curves - I wouldn't normally run at full speed! The next thing to do will be the fitting of the decoders by which point my coaches should have arrived 😆

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skelton Junction said:

Grrrrrh. Still showing as a pre order. *Taps fingers. *sighs. 

Something's wrong. I ordered late Saturday night (after seeing the posts about double bonus points) and had the email this afternoon saying that they have been dispatched and should be with me tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Skelton Junction said:

Mine is coming from Rails of Sheffield, currently, but I’m sorely tempted to cancel and order from hornby instead. They’ve had stock since Friday. 

That's exactly what I did. I felt bad cancelling the Rails order (especially as I could have collected) but saved over £40 after adding in the bonus points.

Edited by Baz657

13 hours ago, Skelton Junction said:

Could some kind hearted soul put up the current how many left in stock info please?

Was 91 earlier today.. Wonder how many the dealers have sold. The double points might slow their the dealers sales down a bit..