Rules Of Your Railway

Anything goes with mine although I do have a bias towards diesels and electric and am not scared of modern stuff. The only thing I would try not to do is run things together that don't make sense. So it'll be the mood of the day determining what's in play!

Naturally restricted by what Hornby lets me have 😁

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dave the Busker said:

No set rules for me. I hid a TARDIS on the layout so Hollybush Railway can visit any era 😀

9 minutes ago, PeterM67 said:

I must get a TARDIS of my own. They seem a very useful device 😀

We need a R8696 Police Box in TT scale 🤣

• Like 2

Just now, StuLarge said:

The first rule of TT:120 is, have fun.

The second rule of TT:120 is, have fun.

Surely First Rule of TT:120 Club is ‘Talk about TT:120’ 😁

I think I know why TT:120 has upset so many people, from this great thread it’s obvious that TT:120 people are ‘Disruptors’ at heart and won’t be put in a box. Model Railway fun for all! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1. Anything with HM7000 and sound. [My blue 08 was the exception and, after modification by TWW, makes me grin like a big kid whenever I play.]

2. Within financial reason. [I'm struggling with this rule, to be honest - especially when I get 15% off emails from Hornby.]

• Like 2

Flexibility is key. I have an oval and a branch line. Having recently got an HST I am considering making some temporary platform extensions. I can add these when running modern era. And remove for steam only running. Many stations have longer platforms now than when first built.

Running Willy Whitelaw, Falcon and Blink Bonny in steam. 08 shunter in blue, HST in blue/grey, Ed Elgar on order. Rolling stock is Pullman (starter set), mk1s in crimson and blood and custard, mk3s with HST. Mix of wagons.

Taking Alton (Hampsire) as an example I can mix heritage and main line, but of course to be truly authentic to modern era this would need EMU stock. You can't have everything. I suppose NYMR is another case of a joint modern and heritage steam layout that would also fit LNER locos.

I think a real dream operating rule is some way off as the ranges is still young. However I have given up on GWR and Southern for the time being!

For me it’s way easier to list the self-I posed rules that I’ve broken

1. Only do one small TT module - nope
  2. Make absolutely sure everyng is finished in one area before moving on - nope, not that either
  3. Check and double check all measurements and have everything properly square and level… guess what!

Oh well! Always the next module…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Both my railways have/will have Either Era 3 or 4 (not at the same time) and from regions that could have feasibly had shared lines in the case of era 3.

Era 3 TT120 is LNER with a splash of LMS allowed (although pre-orders for the LMS stuff has been cancelled to concentrate on OO during the summer months). Era 3 00 will be GWR/LMS. If running Era 4 any UK locos of the period, and maybe can stretch to some early era 5 if what I like is not available as an era 4 version.

I try to keep within the earliest period for landscaping, and freight rolling stock anything from 3-4 is allowed .But a certain flexibility for things I want is covered in rule #1 😆

possibly a mixed bag of rules, but It makes sense to me at least. 🤪

If money was no object I would have a different answer but as I’m generally skint the rule developing is that it’ll be Era 5 mostly set in the western region. That doesn’t really work right now due to availability so I’m holding onto all my locos: Bonny, Mallard, Trigo, Whitelaw and Blue 08. Mostly I only use the 08 anyway and Bonny. So right now it looks like the railway closed and a heritage line popped up! 
Rules are actually quite fun I think, that’s why High Fell works I think. It grounds it to a real time and place.

Of course if you build two layouts… or three…

1. North Kent Lines (or thereabouts - I've lived along these lines most of my life so they are what I'm familiar with)
  2. Era 7 onwards (in my lifetime)
  3. Rules 1 and 2 need not apply if I get bored of waiting and something I like the look of comes out. 
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

That’s a very good question and one I ponder often. 

My starting point was steam but nothing “famous” I.e. no Mallard and no Flying Scotsman. I think I have some perverse pleasure when people who don’t follow the hobby say “oh there’s the Flying Scotsman!” And I get to correct them. Nerdy I know. After buying Falcon I settled into era 4. Now my only rule exception was the era 5 08 that I could still cancel if the J50 comes first. I really need a shunter!

if some locomotives are slow to arrive I might still throw my rule out the window. It’s more like a guideline as Captain Jack Sparrow would say 

Edited by BritInVanCA

Posted (edited)

Shhhh no one talks about era 6!!!! 

Technically era 6 is late 50’s into 70’s and so it’s there and covered but eras are always a fluid thing. A4’s arrived in 1935 and lasted until end of steam in ‘68 (obviously not all) but they didn’t see the 70’s in mainline service so get counted as era 5 in late crest livery. It’s a very moveable feast as it depends on what was running when and in what livery. And that becomes a can of worms when you see a picture of a two tone Green Class 47 (as a Brush Type 4 so pre TOPS) hauling an 1920’s Pullman, and 3 MK1s, Carmine and Cream, Maroon and Blue on a scheduled service into Leeds. An 08 made it all its life (into 80’s) in original black livery with early BR crest. 
Eras are ‘more a set of guidelines than an binding ethos’ 😁

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Era 6 is BR (blue) pre-TOPS, approximately 1967-73 or so. Not many models are produced for this era in most scales, except for diesel hydraulics and locos such as the class 17s which never received TOPS numbers.

• Like 1

I think my rules will be 3 of a kind. I have sidings for 3 trains and can run 2. 

So 3 steam for now, to become 3 LNER and 3 LMS as I collect; 3 diesel next, and maybe 3 modern freight with the 66s.

• Like 3