Electric Locomotives

In TT:120 Rambler's interview, Martin and Carl said they wern't sure what electric locomotives people would want.

What electric locomotives would you all like to see hornby make?

I personally would like an InteaCity 225 (class 91 and mark 4 coaches) in swallow livery.

• Like 1

Considering the coaches they've released so far and due very soon a late 86 or an 87 or possibly a 76 or 77 would be the easiest options. Though personally none, I'd rather they get the stuff they've already announced out first!

• Like 2

Well the class 86 and 87's would be a good option especially as they are now also working in Eastern Europe.  Having worked on the real locos I would defiantly be in the market for an 86 and 87.

• Like 1

My preferences in rank order: 1. Class 86, 2. Class 87, 3. Class 92, 4.  EM1 (class 76), 5. EM2 (class 77)

The 86s, 87s and 92s are also working overseas. 

Prototype of EM1, Tommy, ran in the Netherlands 1947-1952, the EM2s worked over there from the early 1970s.

• Like 1

Would need a catenary system too, representing British style (not simply use one of the European catenary systems).  One thing that really annoys me is seeing model locos running with pantos up but no knitting 🙂   I made sure my N gauge system is fully fitted with (non-working) OHLE. 

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.44c4fea57623c6e7b82c4d4de6bee2f6.JPG

• Like 2

100% agree,  dont  like  seeing  electric  locos  running  without  overhead catenary.  Could  at least  put  a  diesel  loco on front as if the  train has  been diverted  off its  main route.

6 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Would need a catenary system too, representing British style (not simply use one of the European catenary systems).  One thing that really annoys me is seeing model locos running with pantos up but no knitting 🙂   I made sure my N gauge system is fully fitted with (non-working) OHLE. 

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.44c4fea57623c6e7b82c4d4de6bee2f6.JPG

If there's one company that can deliver good British catenary in TT, it's got to be West Hill Wagon Works. Those guys have made new catenary in OO that looks fantastic. And they have even more on the way. They probably wouldn't move on it until there are electric locomotives though. Which is totally fair from a business perspective. 

• Like 1

To add to the conversation, I think it's worth pointing out the electric locomotives that have been announced so far. One is the Class 73. The Class 73 obviously has a diesel engine, but it was also suitable for running via electric power.  It's a great locomotive, because it's still in use today. It has worn a variety of liveries including BR green, BR Blue, BR Large Logo, Intercity, GBRF, etc. It's a great addition for Southern Region modelers who have lacked attention. 

The other electric locomotive announced so far are the Class 80x trains. These are trains seen by people everyday, so they could appeal to people who are just getting interested in railways. A Class 80x train set would actually be a great way to introduce people to the scale. 

If I were to pick models that I want... It would be either Eurostar or the APT. Hornby now has been through the ordeal of designing and refining their APT models, so they would have good resources to draw from. But the Eurostar has cross-channel appeal and carries millions of passengers each year. 

• Like 1

I think the Class 800s are bi mode so would be a good start to both modern era and electric locos. They fit with the current Hornby thinking of diesel due to more widespread appeal. I read that they are in use on both East and West Coast Mainlines and soon to be introduced to the Midland Mainline by EMR with the 810 Aurora.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

the Eurostar has cross-channel appeal

I think it was mentioned on here previously, Piko already make the ICE 3 in TT so that could be the basis for a Eurostar e320
spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

I think it was mentioned on here previously, Piko already make the ICE 3 in TT so that could be the basis for a Eurostar e320
spacer.png

They have, but their version of the ICE 3 represents the DB 403 and 406 variants. The one shown in the picture is an example of either a DB 407 or 408 version (probably 407 if I had to guess). If Piko wanted to release a Eurostar, they would need to start from scratch. Both the leading cars and the coaches have significant body differences. They can't change the livery to the Eurostar, unless customers are willing to accept a model that is really inaccurate. 

11 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

I think the Class 800s are bi mode so would be a good start to both modern era and electric locos. They fit with the current Hornby thinking of diesel due to more widespread appeal. I read that they are in use on both East and West Coast Mainlines and soon to be introduced to the Midland Mainline by EMR with the 810 Aurora.

Hornby are planning to model classes 73 and 800, however no release dates are given on page 25 of the latest  catalogue https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/6617/1447/1661/2024_Hornby_TT120_Catalogue_40pp_Ediiton_24.3_WEB.pdf

If Hornby have their commercial planning caps on, and are actually communicating with the guys in the Arnold TT office, then a Class 86 would be a suitable choice. In BR service there were plenty of liveries over their thirty years service followed by plenty more in privatisation inc. EWS, FL and Virgin. After that a decent number went to Hungary and Bulgaria - that's where the Arnold guys come in so that as many variants can be squeezed out of the tooling as possible. TT was always the scale of choice in the East before the fall of the Iron Curtain and the mods to the locos in Bulgaria make them the best looking 86s out there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

If Hornby have their commercial planning caps on, and are actually communicating with the guys in the Arnold TT office, then a Class 86 would be a suitable choice. In BR service there were plenty of liveries over their thirty years service followed by plenty more in privatisation inc. EWS, FL and Virgin. After that a decent number went to Hungary and Bulgaria - that's where the Arnold guys come in so that as many variants can be squeezed out of the tooling as possible. TT was always the scale of choice in the East before the fall of the Iron Curtain and the mods to the locos in Bulgaria make them the best looking 86s out there.

I think this is a really good suggestion. Arnold and Hornby being able to sell the same model to two markets is exactly the way they should be planning their product development. And of course, Eastern Europe is the core TT market.

I suspect they might initially choose the Class 87 over the Class 86, because they released a newly tooled 87 in OO back in 2018. That means they would have detailed CAD files, research notes, and a selection of liveries all ready to go. The designer who created the Class 87 in OO might still be around to consult on the TT version. Obviously, you can't just resize a OO locomotive to TT. But having existing information and renderings does speed up the process as we've seen with the J50. Then the Arnold team could conduct some field research in Bulgaria to get good photographs and information for the Hornby team to integrate into their designs.

The Bulgarian Railway Company (BRC) is a freight company that ended up with the majority of Class 87s. They don't seem to care much about the liveries that their locomotives wear, so some of them might seem a little bit familiar to British Rail fans... 😉

4RM531TMB9KOMEPM.jpg

Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Both prototypes work well, and the Class 86 has the robust Hungarian TT market to appeal to. It might be the better option all the same! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, gc4946 said:

Hornby are planning to model classes 73 and 800, however no release dates are given on page 25 of the latest  catalogue https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/6617/1447/1661/2024_Hornby_TT120_Catalogue_40pp_Ediiton_24.3_WEB.pdf

you're talking 2 years away minimum probably 3-4 realistically, unless they are part of one of the 'surprise' announcements that may or may not be mentioned later this year. 

Edited by Tim Allen

Unlikely I would buy one for High Fell (unless there is a new tunnel) but  EuroStar would surely have to be a strong candidate for the brand. From continuing the ranges that have already been established maybe an 86 or EM1/Class 76.

Secretly I would love an early livery TGV 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

For me the original orange is the iconic livery 😁

If I had a TGV that's the livery I would go for too.  My first ever trip on a TGV was in the late 80's or very early 90's on one from Lyon to Paris.

• Like 2

What about the all white TGV Atlantique - first two sets were painted in that livery. Jouef made a limited edition of 100 of these purely for the French market. I was lucky enough to obtain  a four car set from Clarel in Paris and the additional eight cars from a chance meeting with the CEO of Jouef at a French exhibition. I still have this in my collection.

• Like 1