Poll for Revolution Trains speculation

GMD

What Loco Should Revolution Trains make for TT120? (Speculative poll!)  

51 members have voted

1. 1. It seems Revolution Trains may consider tooling up a TT120 loco from their existing catalogue in other scales. Choice are from their catalogue only. Which do you prefer?

• Class 92
    • Class 93
    • Class 59
    • Class 18
    • 56xx (Sonic Models)
    • 390 Pendolino
    • Class 180 Diesel-Hydraulic MU
    • 313/314 EMU
    • Class 120 DMU
    • Class 320/321 EMU
    • Class 128 DMU

I chose the Class 18. 🙃

Whilst I recognise that TT:120 is too young for quirky oddities… if the claims (that the 18 is to be the 21st century’s 08) come true - then that will be a must have for any moderneller. 😉

25 minutes ago, dBerriff said:

We do not need a Class 66 on this list. You can pre-order from Hornby. Check the Shop. 

He’s taking the St. Michael, pulling your leg, having a giraffe, bit of an egg yoke, the Arthur Bliss…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Morning gang. 
Interview with Revolution trains now up (a day earlier than promised - sorry, got over excited by the football) 

I’ll leave others to post the link if they wish. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim Allen said:

He’s taking the St. Michael, pulling your leg, having a giraffe, bit of an egg yoke, the Arthur Bliss…

Ah. The English sense of humour. Off to watch Peachy's video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although the Revolution guys didn’t go into it in detail, the comments about how TT:120 had drawn some (I’ll describe it as..) ‘flapping about’ in various InterWeb sites, was amusing. A pair of wry smiles says it all and as they make the point, they are not getting into the scale expecting it not to work and they underlined just how successful Hornby has been in such a short time with it. 
No matter how I look at it, I haven’t found a way to accommodate their first offerings but very much hoping I can on the next (if our little poll is anything to judge by 😁

Thank you to all who have watched and enjoyed the video! The Revolution Trains guys were great, both their love for and knowledge of the hobby was very impressive. I have no doubt this wagon will be one worth waiting for. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I haven’t found a way to accommodate their first offerings but very much hoping I can on the next (if our little poll is anything to judge by 😁

I certainly won't be getting any wagons but would definitely go for a green DMU.

• Like 4

Thank you for arranging the interview. It is always good to be reminded of the realities of the business side of the hobby. But yes, informative and I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

Just a word of warning — Sonic Models is a separate company formed by a former Kader (Bachmann’s parent company) engineer who is believed to have been responsible for the Farish Midland Pullman. Revolution's only role was in advising them and helping the marketing of their first model—the VEA van. Their products are now marketed exclusively by Rails of Sheffield.

Their largely N gauge range includes the 56xx and "Large Prairie" for the GWR and the LNER J50. They have also produced the 1960s Ferryvan (the type Triang-Hornby modelled) for the N gauge society. A new run of the VEA is promised together with the Vanwide it was based on. In OO they have only done a GCR A5 4-6-2T and the ferrry van. I wouldn't hold out much hope for TT120 from them.

I picked Class 120 DMU, but really any DMU would do. Looking for a short passenger train that can do end to end. Something that would fit a small village station. Would like lights in the seating area and people if possible or a way to add them. Option to come with a HM7000 fitted with correct sounds (my concern with non-Hornby products). Stay alive would also be great, either built-in or can be added to the HM7000.

So this is also an ask for Hornby to allow third-parties to add sound files for use with the HM7000.

Edited by John-357061
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peachy said:

If Hornby are happy to have “supporting casts” join in to help flesh out this scale then agreeing on compatible sound profiles is an absolute must… 

Adding HM7000 support for custom sound files would probably be an enormous boost for the system. It would allow homebrew fixers to fill in any loco type file gaps and create a scenario where the Hornby system could really take off outside of TT as well as enabling support for scratch built locos etc.

• Like 1

The problem with out-sourcing sound files is even if Hornby granted a free licence for the build and comms protocol, those files need to be lodged on the Hornby server for the app to use them. The only way round it is for the app to store profiles locally on your device and allow upload from there, which would require an app change by the developers at some cost.

Will 3rd parties want to give away their files, I think not and I can't see Gen-Pop wanting to pay for some profiles but not others. 

It will be a commercial nightmare to manage, so I can't see it ever happening.

Hornby focus ahead will be on supporting their domestic and International ranges and expanding the app for increased user interactivity - say screen operation from a track-plan in the style of RM.

I think this topic was discussed at length in the HM DCC section, particularly when there were limited sound files available. There do seem to be a lot of hurdles to overcome for 3rd party sound file creators to drop their files into the library. Everything from IP protection, security, ongoing support to cost. 
The only workable soloution I can imagine is for a manufacturer of a particular model to fund the creation of a matching sound and running profile by paying Hornby to do it on their behalf. That would cover off most of the issues but the manufacturer would have to account for that cost within the production/retail cost of the model. It might sound mad at first but a lot of the manufacturers have ‘agreements’ with various decoder/sound file companies. TT:120 would be an ideal place to trial such an arrangement as so far no non HH UK manufacturer has an existing powered range. 
Some cross company cooperation could be really helpful to some of the smaller players like Revolution, early access to the Gen2 HM 7000 decoders/power banks etc. 

I would have thought it reasonably likely for Hornby and Revolution Trains to have some discussions in the near future on product plans, if only for the locomotives and rolling stock as it is their interest to see a complimentary approach going forward.

Heljan must be disappointed that they pulled out but hindsight is a wonderful thing and it had to have been a big gamble at the time of their announcement on the class 31.  Maybe they might rethink

Edited by Stephen-1260829

4 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

That would cover off most of the issues but the manufacturer would have to account for that cost within the production/retail cost of the model.

I am not sure people who do not want sound should have to be paying extra cost in their non dcc model, or, are you suggesting the extra is only added to dcc sound models which would then be quite appropriate?

But, at the end of the day we would never know what has been added for whatever reason to set a retail price.

I just hope we never get to the stage of only DCC models produced and DC users have to buy blanking plugs to operate a loco.

3 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

Heljan must be disappointed that they pulled out but hindsight is a wonderful thing and it had to have been a big gamble at the time of their announcement on the class 31.

They were only half hearted in doing a loco, if that. It probably was mainly to have a dig at Hornby. If their model was as far on as suggested and with their release date it would have been out a few months now as they mentioned Winter 23/24. Hornby never had photos or mentioned any dates for theirs, just a phase time.

Plus the comment they made about Hornby was not really applicable to a major company.

• Like 1

I have only three locomotives and they are all sound fitted and I have only been running in the locomotives and they are now stored until I can get back to building the layout.

However, I agree that it would be a poor thing to only have sound fitted models. Although I like the sound option.  I don't know if i would like all the running trains making noise while they are running.  This might be okay but I have yet to experience this sensation.

Also, while all the sounds of drain cocks, primers, coal shovelling, tyre squeal, etc are nice, I can't see myself using them (but one never knows)  At least they are there for anyone that does like the idea of using them.   I do know that at the moment  it annnoys my wife when she has to listen to me going through all the sound features, over and over again!!! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1