State of Outstanding Pre-orders for TT:120

Updated 15/9/24 - Class 66 is now back to showing as November and the Class J50 is January 2025 😞. Subject to change and normally will. Slowly but surely the list is getting smaller 🙂 

Green is On Time & Red is Delayed. 

Due This Month

• 12T Tank Wagons (BP & Benzol) – Late September 2024 (DELAYED)
  • HM7000-N18 18 Pin BT & DCC No Sound (R7401) Late September 2024 (ON TIME)

Train Sets

• Intercity 125  DC & DCC – Mid November 2024 (ON TIME)

Locomotives

• Class 66 All Liveries DC Era11 – Mid November 2024 (DELAYED)
  • Class 66 All Liveries DCC Era11 – Mid November 2024 (DELAYED)
  • J50 Class 0-6-0T Era 3, 4 & 5 – Mid January 2025 (DELAYED)
  • BR Class 08 0-6-0 Era 5 – Late November 2024 (ON TIME)
  • Class 50 GBRf DC & DCC Era 11 – Late May 2025 (DELAYED)

Wagons & Coaches

• 12T Tank Wagons (BP & Benzol) – Late September 2024 (DELAYED)
  • Pullman 1st Class – Late December 2024 (DELAYED)
  • BR Mk2E Coaches era 7&8 – Late May 2025 (DELAYED)
  • 21T Mineral Wagons – Late May 2025 (DELAYED)

Track Side

• Level Crossing – Early January 2025 (DELAYED)
  • Signals – Early April 2025 (DELAYED)

HM7000 Decoders

• HM7000-6 6 Pin BT & DCC No Sound (R7321) Late September 2025 (DELAYED)
  • HM7000-N18 18 Pin BT & DCC No Sound (R7401) Late September 2024 (ON TIME)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

I know Hornby once said coreless are no good with their cheap controller but they can change their ideas any time.

You are right Garry, which I always felt was far more of an indictment of their cheap controller than of cordless motors!! 

• Like 1

It is. Coreless motors are subject to overheating and armature burn-out with low frequency pulsed controllers.

P.S. cordless motors are an interesting concept - this would simplify installation and save some soldering. 😀

Edited by dBerriff
  • Haha 3

Coreless motors are significantly more expensive and they can struggle in small sizes to provide the torque people may expect. When they are being overworked that too can lead to overheating and the windings collapse. 

Edited by Rallymatt

What I find disheartening is the lack of wagons coming through. There needs to be more choice and should be a continuous stream coming through, at least until there’s 6-10 different for each main eras (big 4, BR steam and diesel, and privatised eras)

coaching stock is reasonably well covered for the available locos so far, although the lack of blue grey mk1’s is still perplexing 

27 minutes ago, 47606 Odin said:

What I find disheartening is the lack of wagons coming through

Unfortunately they only have a limited amount of money available and in reality we have been very, very lucky with the amount of locos, wagons, coaches produced in such a short time, especially for a new scale.

There will be more but we cannot have everything all at once.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

Unfortunately they only have a limited amount of money available and in reality we have been very, very lucky with the amount of locos, wagons, coaches produced in such a short time, especially for a new scale.

There will be more but we cannot have everything all at once.

Not expecting everything all at once, however, there doesn’t appear to be much in the pipeline drawn up, or to EP levels being shown in progression given how long things take to get to production. I’d be hoping to see by now more reruns announced of renumbered existing releases especially the TTA’s by now, but not even a whisper.

I know there is the rumoured VGA’s but other than a statement about them being in the future in the catalogue I can’t find any info on when anything will be forthcoming. Looking at the dates on the few models (not counting locos here) there’s very little coming in the near future, When they are already quoting dates of May next year

like I say I’m not expecting the world, but I would of thought there’d be more news by now about things in the pipeline almost ready to go into production 

Hornby started off TT:120 by announcing things that were years ahead.  They have now transitioned to only announcing things that they intend to be available within 6 months.  Even this isn’t proving entirely manageable (e.g. J50) - therefore expecting further into future announcements isn’t going to happen.

With regards reusing existing tooling for relivery/renumbering - whilst it wouldn’t involve additional tooling cost, it still requires production slots & if these are currently maxed out using the new toolings - then extra production slots would still require extra investment.

• Like 1

My only TT preorder is a BR late crest J50.

Securing production slots, bearing in mind competing demand for production slots for items intended for pre-Xmas delivery, and transport from China are what I think are the main reasons for delay into January next year

I’ve two 66s on pre order. One early doors at £87 and one with sound at the current going rate. The green 08 and J50 preorders have been cancelled due to lack of a decoder appearing anytime soon and the price (when available) will still be less than buying an 8 pin and asking someone ((TWW) to fit it. My hobby points and notional budget will go on the 37s as soon as they become a thing. 
I’ve also five of the Glenhafod mineral wagons on pre order at the bargain price of £58. Whenever they pitch up.