various micro screws

Deem

Not bad.  I have a box of tiny screws for repairing glasses, they've come in handy.  Picked them up from a tool stand at an exhibition, but loads of them on ebay etc.

AliExpress are ok, son and I have used them for a few things from electronic components and N gauge wagons (me) to bass guitars and Lego-like brick construction kits for locos and rolling stock (him) 🙂  Yes items may take a couple of weeks or so to arrive but generally that's not a problem.

This one's a custom 8 string lefty bass from Ali
90016260_562865601241571_9117828240667312128_o.thumb.jpg.c27bc542d0b3c1d1168430c3a4bf3605.jpg

• Like 1

Well I haven't used them since before Brexit, so don't know how all that works these days, not that I'd have thought anything would have changed regarding imports from China, though I don't recall having to pay any customs charges in the past.

Edited by Brew Man

2 hours ago, Rana Temporia said:

I was just going to order some M1.6 bolts off eBay for more than that! What are Aliexpress like? I’ve never used them?

Most deliveries are between 5 days or 7 days, obviously that depends how quickly they post. I usually look for 5 day or 7 day delivery with option for compensation if delivery gets late. I order Car stereo on 01.08 and received it today, which is not bad. Some actually have arrived in 5 days as well depending what you order.

First screw link I have shared at the top is 5 days delivery and second link I shared have 7 days delivery.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

Well I haven't used them since before Brexit, so don't know how all that works these days, not that I'd have thought anything would have changed regarding imports from China, though I don't recall having to pay any customs charges in the past.

Since January 2024, anything coming out of UK will have vat or tax to be paid upfront, for example I bought  a used Loco couple of weeks ago from Spain and I had to pay £16.00 vat to ebay for £80.00 Loco plus postage around £20.00.

Only good thing about Ali express is you pay any taxes up front at the checkout, so you are aware what you are paying. I bought OBD2 from Ali express and included taxes it came to £383.69 with 20% discount voucher from Ali Express, same model from Autel UK website is over £600.00, just an example. It had issue to it was returned with full refund received in couple of days after the posting the unit back.

Edited by Deem

1 hour ago, Brew Man said:

Aliexpress are usually pretty good, but almost everything comes from China so be prepared to wait two or three weeks for delivery.

Most items have delivery period next to the price, something can takes weeks but most items are on 5 days or 7 days delivery with compensation if late, maybe only coupon or £1.00 but something is there.

1 hour ago, Irishmail said:

plus VAT and customs charges??

Yes they all do it, have done for a long time. If you buy anything from Amazon US the same applies, that is why I could not understand all the concern with paying it for items from the EU. This is a Model Railway forum so least said about that the better. I don't know what it is with goods from China, postage is sometimes less than first class and they seem to do a lot of things you can't get anywhere else. 

Edited by ColinB

I have used Ali before and amazingly the price I paid for the item (platform lights) was less than the postage stamped on the parcel. How the actual supplier makes money I do not know.

17 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

Not bad.  I have a box of tiny screws for repairing glasses, they've come in handy.  Picked them up from a tool stand at an exhibition, but loads of them on ebay etc.

AliExpress are ok, son and I have used them for a few things from electronic components and N gauge wagons (me) to bass guitars and Lego-like brick construction kits for locos and rolling stock (him) 🙂  Yes items may take a couple of weeks or so to arrive but generally that's not a problem.

This one's a custom 8 string lefty bass from Ali
90016260_562865601241571_9117828240667312128_o.thumb.jpg.c27bc542d0b3c1d1168430c3a4bf3605.jpg

Looks noisy! Are the strings octaves for the low set and doubles for the treble like a 12 string guitar? 

44 minutes ago, Rana Temporia said:

Are the strings octaves for the low set and doubles for the treble like a 12 string guitar? 

Er...  I think compared to a typical 4 string bass the bottom 2 strings are lower and the top  2 are higher but I don't know the actual tuning he uses.  Great for metal and prog styles 🙂   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Simmo009 said:

If buying a mixed box, be careful not to drop the box. It’s a nightmare.😂

A work colleague did that once, he simply grabbed a large magnet, spent 1 min dragging it over the floor & then dumped the adhering screws back into the box.  Result was a spotless floor & a really mixed box! 🤦‍♂️😂