Class 50: are you pleased with your model?

dBerriff

1 hour ago, PeterM67 said:

I would have needed to buy £1500 worth of in stock stuff

I seem to recall getting an offer like that just before Christmas and it's now obvious it occurs after a big / bigger / biggish purchase is made.

Now I've placed another order I wonder if I'll get another offer on rinse / repeat :classic_biggrin:?

@happy tt I now have a silly amount of points to spend if you include the pending points which will go nicely on a class 66 or two.

I’ve refrained from commenting on this thread as I didn’t want to be too negative but having read largely positive posts I thought it’s time for some balance. 

For me, the Jury is out on the 50s as both have been returned to HQ for flickering lights/drive shafts/intermittent running and other faults from me attempting to rectify things. Green one returned to me a few weeks ago and has since operated without issue. Blue one still at HQ having been returned to me “fixed” (and returned to hq same day) with the drive shaft falling out immediately upon use. The goodwill I have towards the 50s is intact as they are excellent models and only surpassed by Hornby’s customer service. In total they’ve been returned at least half a dozen times and hornby have reimbursed my postage costs each time but I fear for my goodwill running out or the hornby accountants voicing their concerns at the repairs expense spread sheet. 

The offer of 550/50 sounds good, but when step back and analyse it, it's quite a large outlay, and actually returns less than the 10% that most of the retail outlets usually offer. The only upside is you also get points to spend later. If you have a 'shopping list', and you were going to spend something like that amount anyway, then maybe yes, but do the due diligence first and check out your local model shop before parting with the cash. 🤔🎓💷💷💷

I keep looking at the prices of Eddie Elgar and it does look good in green, but can't justify it as I'm not actually working on my TT stuff at the moment.  Especially given I've also got a 66 on pre-order and that's not going to do any work for a while for the same reason.
What I really want is to find one being sold off dirt cheap with the driveshaft problem as I love tinkering, and given my experience with the same issue in other models over the years I suspect it's a 30 second fix once you're in 🙂 

I keep looking at SEE and thinking I should buy, it but I was sticking to late 70’s, or at least try, but then I bought 040, and thought well, it could be ex works and I go early 80’s, but as we have no idea what rolling stock is in the pipeline I don’t know whether to move up to 1985. There’ll be less early tops wagons potentially ie van wides and former steam era wagons to play with but I’ll get more choices of locos in the nearer future. But it all hinges on whether I buy 007 or not. I guess I could buy 007 and paint it blue as ex refurb 019 Ramillies as I wouldn’t have to repaint the yellow…..decision decisions, but I do like 50040 it does run nicely

I thought about and realised I had already taken advantage of the recent offers and ordered what I actually wanted (two Princesses and a Class 66. So as a 50 was almost buying for the sake of buying, although I would run it, I decided not to go ahead. 

On 02/09/2024 at 10:03, ntpntpntp said:

I keep looking at the prices of Eddie Elgar and it does look good in green, but can't justify it as I'm not actually working on my TT stuff at the moment.

OK so I gave in and ordered an Eddie the Elgar 🙂   Saved £30 on Hornby's asking price and around £15 on most dealer prices that I found.     

Just arrived.  Seems very nice and weighty.  No loose shafts or other parts out-of-the-box, though before putting on the track I did notice something bent out of place and fouling one bogie.   The plate with the blue dots either end.   I've adjusted that and its running smoothly up and down a metre of straight. Not had chance to try it on any curves yet.

IMG_7540.JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ntpntpntp said:

OK so I gave in and ordered an Eddie the Elgar 🙂   Saved £30 on Hornby's asking price and around £15 on most dealer prices that I found.     

Just arrived.  Seems very nice and weighty.  No loose shafts or other parts out-of-the-box, though before putting on the track I did notice something bent out of place and fouling one bogie.   The plate with the blue dots either end.   I've adjusted that and its running smoothly up and down a metre of straight. Not had chance to try it on any curves yet.

IMG_7540.JPG

Mine fell of the blue 50 yesterday while testing.

18 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

IMG_7540.JPG

I had exactly the same thing

On 02/09/2024 at 11:32, dBerriff said:

I thought about and realised I had already taken advantage of the recent offers and ordered what I actually wanted (two Princesses and a Class 66. So as a 50 was almost buying for the sake of buying, although I would run it, I decided not to go ahead. 

And then I changed my mind again. I ordered the non-sound version of Sir Edward at what looks to be a reasonable price. I do like the green finish and so Hercules gets a repaint and a re-re-rename for a fictional heritage line.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dBerriff said:

And then I changed my mind again. I ordered the non-sound version of Sir Edward at what looks to be a reasonable price

Yeah I found one at £138 including postage so I thought "rude not to" 🙂   I suppose for now it will join the Duchess, the 08 , the Arnold Köf and my Easterner set on a shelf for a while.  Apparently now my N gauge project is complete (well good enough for the show next weekend) the next booking for our conservatory build space will be my son's HOe / 009 narrow gauge layout. He's got to re-design it a bit smaller so we could actually take it to a show in our car if desired 🙂 

I have had a class 50 play with….. very dangerous! Might not go back 🤣
Seriously impressive loco. I was really wanting and early version but looks tremendous in large logo livery. One I have always liked, hmmmmmm

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I have had a class 50 play with….. very dangerous! Might not go back 🤣
Seriously impressive loco. I was really wanting and early version but looks tremendous in large logo livery. One I have always liked, hmmmmmm

I love mine - go on, you know you want one! 

On 04/09/2024 at 14:43, ntpntpntp said:

IMG_7540.JPG

Same with my Edward Elgar - it was fouling the bogie and caused a lot of intermittent derailments until I worked out what the problem was. I simply superglued it up to the air (or vacuum?) tanks behind it, but in doing so the horizontal plate beside it (some sort of coolant pipework?) also fell off as it was badly fitted and not well glued. Quite fiddly to refit and glue back on securely, even with fairly extreme magnification. I'm glad I'm not assembling these models!

5 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

I notice these were built 67-68, did they ever have the BR late logo, I can't find any pictures. What is the earliest livery one had?

As far as I know they were BR corporate blue with twin arrows, but, using modellers licence I say the green one is acceptable to run with steam as they entered service in 67 hence me buying one.

At sometime I want to paint out the upper yellow from around the windows and put a BR late crest on.

• Thanks 1

The 50 came in corporate blue from the start of deliveries. It had pre tops numbering (D4…) and the small double arrow on cab sides. They went into large logo livery in the 80s and some Network South East. In privatisation, they received a host of liveries, Edward Elgar being a tribute livery to BR, ironically in essence a livery livery it never wore in BR service, green. I love the fact a company did this, many people mused how a 50 would have looked in Green back in the day. There were a few green schemes tried, 47s in two tone green, Deltics in green with bright green lower edge stripe and some different shades. So far Hornby isn’t making up liveries, No Duke of Margate, Panda Cola summer/Christmas/spring/Autumn sets or wagons celebrating the Worzels. 😉

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

I notice these were built 67-68, did they ever have the BR late logo, I can't find any pictures. What is the earliest livery one had?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_50#/media/File%3A50014_at_Birmingham_New_Street_2.jpg

there are a quite a lot of images on different Wikipedia pages and good history file

Edited by Rallymatt

My blue 50 returned from HQ with a new chassis and a pair of hornby magnetic couplings to replace mine. Functioning well so far. The only issue I can see is that the lights don’t align sufficiently at one end. Body looks even but when pressure is applied the lights improve alignment. I’ve removed body to check there’s no obstacle to a perfect fit and shuffled some wires out of the way to no avail.