Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Anybody for Titfield....

OK it's not Lion/Thunderbolt, but sister loco Tiger. Seen here in front of "my" shed [shh from Bachmann]. It's hard to think they're both freight locos and that Lion/Tiger are only 9 [yes 9] years younger than Rocket of 1829 with Lion/Tiger built in 1838!forum_image_645cb31b389cf.thumb.png.01fce1ee3139fea3febc0f55c6cbf5d9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I indicated in a previous comment somewhere on the forum, I've started a 'bit of a folly'. Like most big boys my age, as well as railways I was always interested in flight, particularly military British - did happen!

A recent purchase was from Chester Model Shop of one of my all-time favourites, a Royal Navy Blackburn Buccaneer - remember them well.

All assembled, placed in the 'Museum Area' - exit of the station! - there's an obvious hole in the nose cone - the refuelling boom is missing! No sign anywhere in the box.

They did that strangest of things, and called me, and explained the 'limited edition certificate packet', also containing the boom, could be underneath the plastic box insert.

I'd already looked there - not hard enough. Sure enough, taped inside the insert was the said certificate (not bothered about that really) and the boom - job done.

Here's a shout out for another GOOD 'local model shop' helping their customers - THANK YOU Paul (they do model railways as well I believe).

Al.

Recently purchased a Hornby Jinty 0 - 6 - 0 from my local model shop in Birkenhead. I'm not sure what it's R number would have been when it was in the range of locos available but it carries the LMS maroon livery and the number 16440 on its tanks.

Motor wise, it has a hornby X03 or X04 motor in it which despite a full clean up and service is still quite noisy. As a result I am looking to see if I can find a type 7 motor to fit into the loco and hopefully quieten it down when running.

I did fit lead inside the tanks to add extra weight which does not appear to be in contact with the motor.

I will open the loco up tonight and check again and if it is the case then I'll remove some lead from near the motor and see if I can fix it in place somewhere else in order to maintain the new weight.

I mighhopefully be able to add some weight in the cab fixed to the roof which should balance it.

Your Jinty dates from the 1980s (R052/R301) and is probably front wheel drive off an X03 motor. If you can source them, the S4197/S4198 metal Type 7 motor mounts as used on the B12/Bulleid/Fowler tank upgrade may well do the job for you with the L5714/L5715 worm & wormwheel.

Hornby were recently selling the small motor in its plastic surround complete with pick ups for not very much money, I bought ‘a few’. Not sure about your chassis but they were as used in at least one version of the Jinty and Thomas chassis. The X03 version was the earliest I think. You might be able to cut down on noise by filling any voids in the body with foam or plasticine.

I had wondered also if the bearings may be kaput which is often a cause of excess noise, problem is that I have no spare bearings and the worm gear is the black plastic worm shich works with the grey axle gear whichbis normally a very good combination but in this case it also looks like the worm is possibly making contact with the chassis block which I don't think should be happening.

I recently bought a Hornby Class 08 and a Bachmann Class 20, both from the early 2000s and both DCC fitted. Both were at a very reasonable, (to me) price and both very tidy models, though I haven't yet received the 20, just going on the pics and description. They are actually outside my modelling era but they are so iconic that I just had to have them.

Hattons Trunk service will have me bankrupt. disappointed_relieved

Yes, I think so too, Al. The one I have, (am getting) is the 32-027, which I think represents the original D8000 and has oval buffers. The others I've seen all have round buffers. Unfortunately one of the buffers is missing and Bachmann only supply the round ones. However, I have ordered a set of Hornby Class 31s which, reading around appear to be a decent replacement. So fingers crossed.

Brought in past week, Add to my collection.

R3997 City of london.

R60113 Ferry van with large BR logo on doors.

R374 Battle of Britain 'Spitfire' unused as mint box with sheet of nameplate/running number.

R320 LMS Black five 5138 unused as mint box.

Now waiting for R30283 Coronation.

Hi

Just added a almost mint Lima Class 59 in Yeoman livery named as Yeoman Highlander, just could not resist, use to see them daily when I worked in Slough.

Also added 20 Mark 4 coaches 10x tourist open, 5x 1st open, 5x buffet. To make 5 shorten 225 express trains.

Hi AL

Thing is I like the simpler non DCC ready locos better than modern electronic DCC locos.

However I do like the modern rolling stock.

My ideal world would be modern design and manufacturing but with simple chassis like Wrenn, Triang, Original Hornby Dublo use to make with standard motors across large parts of the range.

I purchased a B17 loco chassis of ebay to fit it under a Bachmann B1 loco body.

With a few modifications to both ends of the body I managed to make it fit.

Have been trying to submit a picture of it but keep getting an annoying Awww snap or 502 Bad Gateway message at the moment.