Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

@Caiptean

You are right, the buildings would blend in with buildings from Hornby's Skaledale range.

Same with the Thomas locomotive's too. A repaint of them and the face removal would make them blend in with other locomotives. All the Thomas locomotives, use toolings that already exist in their range, hence them not looking how they do in the TV series. Only Percy, Toby, Bill and Ben had new bodies cretaed for them. Their chassises and motors used for them already existed.

It was a useful purchase. The only is missing is the station building itself. I don't need that though, so it dosen't matter. The windows, the benches, the lamps, the luggage trolleys, the benches, the town/city name stickers, etc are all included, as well as the two straight platform sections, which I can use to make my platform two sections longer!

GNR-Gordon-4

With Airfix included in Hornby's portfolio there would seem in the face of it the be some synergy for producing lineside building kits on 1:72 / 1:76 scale to complement their other products. After all back in the 1960s Airfix had a splendid range of lineside strucrtures, all of which (apart from the airfield control tower) passed to Dapol. Tri-ang introduced plastic kits under the 'Model Land' label which were excellent and the Model Land pylons survived in Hornby's range until fairly recently. Not all Model Land kits illustrated in the 10th edition catalogue I believe did eventually appear, but those that did looked very good. Far more play value than the 'plonk and play' and extremely expensive resin structures.

The J94, 'Lord Phil', lovely looking loco, still needs running in, but will do that after my hols.  Silly boy that I am, didn't read the technical description, just assumed it would be dcc ready.  Never mind, will find a use for it along with my HD locos and others that are  not easily converted.  Also placed order with Hornby for the works livery Peckett, looks another cracker of a loco

Rod

The J94, 'Lord Phil', lovely looking loco, still needs running in, but will do that after my hols.  Silly boy that I am, didn't read the technical description, just assumed it would be dcc ready.  Never mind, will find a use for it along with my HD locos and others that are  not easily converted.  Also placed order with Hornby for the works livery Peckett, looks another cracker of a loco

Rod

Hi Rod. From your post it is useful to know the J94 'Lord Phil' is NOT dcc ready. Surprising for a new

model and disappointing. By the way, what does HD stand for ?  (HighDefinition, Hornby Duds, Have-a

-good Day, Haven't Done Them ...... 😛 ) Regards. Jimbo

Hi Rod. From your post it is useful to know the J94 'Lord Phil' is NOT dcc ready. Surprising for a new model and disappointing. 

I'm actually wondering if 'Lord Phil' not being DCC Ready is another factory error.  It was definitely listed as DCC Ready in the 2017 catalogue, and was also listed as such on the Hornby website (until it wasn't).

As far as I'm aware the J94 tooling hasn't been available DCC Ready before (I know last year's model wasn't), so if 'Phil' had been, as advertised, it would have been the first issue available as such.

Good evening, Slornie, thank you for the info., I have now checked the website of the company I purchased it from, and they definitely claim it to be dcc ready.  The Hornby site, however, doesn't show it equipped with a dcc socket, which is a bit puzzling.  I have sent a text to my supplier asking them to clarify.  The packaging makes no mention of being dcc ready, nor does the information leaflet inside, so we will have to wait and see.  I wonder if the dcc version was one of those which got dropped from the production list.  If so, it is surprising the retailer didn't pick it up.

anyway, thanks once again

Rod

Hornby R2408 Class 50 Sir Edward Elgar, been after this  model for a while.

https://youtu.be/OKTtLCC-cCM

Thankyou for a superbly filmed presentation on a great layout.  Sir Edward looks splendid and I just love those LMS Clerestory coaches and have several myself. Though my layout definitely not up to your standard. The video's high definition looks excellent on a large monitor.