Layout Size

Yelrow

Following on from post about track clearance, it occured to me that it would be interesting to know the size of posters layouts. To start the ball rolling, mine is 9x5, on 3 levels, with further 9x1, on second tier DCC, to allow fiddle yard. EG, i have 3 layouts, tiered up, all 9x5. john

8 x 7 feet over three levels. It is a folded over figure of eight. The upper half of the eight is the upper level. The cross-over part of the eight is what I call the ground (fore-ground) level. The lower part of the eight is the lower level, which is effectively a tunnel that runs below part of the upper level track. There are three tail chasing track loops plus sidings.

Hi yellro

The size of my layout is inversely proportional to the amount of enjoyment it gives me

Mine isn't much bigger than a train set space at 4' 6" X4' 6" square

single  track level the village has been used to destroy the roundy roundy look

and represents a small Light Railway

Can't stop and talk have to blow the Whistle and get the blackberry picking passengers back on the train ;-)

No fancy electrics straight DC

regards John

Five road L-shaped end to end with various cross overs so most tracks can switch to any other.

size 12' x  5'

interesting to shuffle trains about on but not really what I want.

the next one has been planned to death and will be a four road folded eight roundy round with two stations, a two road shed area and six road storage sidings to go in a 14' x 10' shed.

New layout will be 9' 3" x 9' 3" around 4 sides of my office. Two sides 21" wide , one side 12" wide and one side 5" wide. The 5" wide side has a lift out section across the opening outwards door. When complete there will be two main line loops, a station with branch line interchange and run-around, loco yard, carriage storage yard and a small goods yard. Track layout has been designed and base boards are currently under construction 

Interesting, how most people, go round the outside walls of the room. I had never considered that, as only want running loops. Also, as RDS, no scenery. My Games room, unfortunately, apart from the entrance door from inside house, is also the fire escape/ back door, from the house. Used to be the loading bay, years ago. Hence , third wall would need to be shorter. Also, all guys who responded are 100%, DC, or DCC, Mine, by necessity of keeping 3 rail/ DC, away from DCC, has  become tiered by default. I also, would like a helix. Notice a couple of guys on here, have them. I get almost  as much fun by building, as running, and tinker, all the time. john

It isn't built yet but my intended OO layout will occupy my shed 15' 3" x 7' 3" (internal) with doors at one end, and operated from the centre. Boards will be approximately 2' 0" wide, minimum curve 2' radius.

I also have some prepared bolt together boards and trestles to enable me to loose lay a variety of layouts in Tri-ang, (Standard, Series 3, Super 4 or System 6 as necessary), Hornby Dublo, Triang TT or in Hornby 'O' tinplate. These are usually covered with some old curtains before track laying. These boards are in 4' 0" x 2' 0" modules and will create a layout up to 20' 0" x 12' 0" provide there is room. I use it to demonstrate my vintage trains.

Heres a couple I prepared earlier -

/media/tinymce_upload/e745906786e9b854375ffa05494a0a64.JPG

PICKERING 2012

/media/tinymce_upload/a58f84d90b7616fcf382d8fa5b84f70d.JPG

SLEDMERE 2014

My garden layout occupies a part of my garden 40' 0" x 15' 0".

/media/tinymce_upload/0b3e855dd8ac5d710510b608dcddd865.JPG

My layout is in the loft - currently 8' x 4' one end with a 4' x 6' the other end joined by a 20' x2' in the middle allowing a minimum of 1 inner oval on the 8' x 4' board and then 2 tracks in loops going around all the 3 boards with a few small sidings.

The 20' x 2 ' also includes a "St Pancras" terminal going on top of one end of the 6' x 4' board

I have just had the agreement and planning permission from  the land owner (SWMBO) to go ahead with the HS4 project and join everything up by going over to the other side of the loft  .

The boards order has been placed with a friend and I have started the land clearance ready for building some time after Christmas (Carpentary skills provided by same friend ) . This will enable me to have 4 tracks + small oval with 4 huge long sidings to store a good selection of locos, wagons and coaches

Keith

To add to my signature below I started with a standard 00 gauge Hornby track mat with 2 ovals with a turntable for 5 locos then expanded it  for 2 more tracks around the outside for express loco's steam & diesel making 2 u shapes joined at the far wall to loop them up to make 3 tracks wide for 3.5 metres & 2 stations The layout has 11 sections 6 on the lower on wheels so it can be moved to access any issues on the far Wall. The shed was purpose built around the layout being 5m x 4m 

I wanted a depot (fiddle) yard so had to have an upper level which needed 2 helixes to  access it with 3 tracks passing though which limited the yard to only a few coaches at best, but giving me a longer running time of a 1 minute 45 seconds at an average 40 mph (scale speed). I also wanted working signals but to do this  had to reduce the size of trains to just over 4 feet with the overlap the same length meant the following trains would be 8 feet apart. The gradient for the helixes are 1 in 30 so limit steam trains to a few coaches unless double headed. But plenty of challenges to keep you interested. I've started to add scenery but not yet ballasted as still testing all locos. 

I started this project 3 1/2 years ago & still plenty to do.

Still cannot use iPad photos here as wrong type so only this will show, the upper level not shown in photo

/media/tinymce_upload/6af2449b340a36dbbf31dcadffae0653.png 

Original layout was 5ft by 10 foot visible in the background, and now I'm adding a 5ft by 13ft  extension - under contruction in the foreground. Total will be 5 x 23 Ft.

Just 100% pleaure and satisfaction - I simply loose hours in this room.. but it's what I dreamed of for decades finally coming together.

/media/tinymce_upload/abdcfad085dae4f8342253ee88d28cdb.JPG

Hi LC & DR

Looks like you believe he who dies with the most trains wins ;-)

Are those real country side houses down the middle or genuine 3D print replicas

They look to be straight, deteriation and warp free unlike the one country side house I have.

As an aside do you know of anyone who could 3d print one before mine deteriates to badly and can't be used to create a replica house.

I had planned to use mine in the back ground but its gone to far for that

regards John

Hi Guys,

Mine at the moment is 8'7" x 7' it is based on the layout that was in the 1975 or 76 Hornby catolog  and in the spare bedroom.  But as our garage is internal and is only used for storage I have decided to build a new one in there, I need to put some laminate flooring down and replace up and over door with a insulated roller one. I can get a 12' x 8'  board in there I have desingned it with 9 storage roads at one side, and a scenic station to the other side.  I have designed in a way that if we move I can add a section in to make it longer :-) Only thing is I have to put 2 removable section on each end as to only other way from front of house to garden is though the kitchen or garage. 

The layouts smallest radius curves will be 4th and I am using medium lenght points. I hope to start this in January.

Peter

Hi Guys,

Mine at the moment is 8'7" x 7' it is based on the layout that was in the 1975 or 76 Hornby catolog  and in the spare bedroom.  But as our garage is internal and is only used for storage I have decided to build a new one in there, I need to put some laminate flooring down and replace up and over door with a insulated roller one. I can get a 12' x 8'  board in there I have desingned it with 9 storage roads at one side, and a scenic station to the other side.  I have designed in a way that if we move I can add a section in to make it longer :-) Only thing is I have to put 2 removable section on each end as to only other way from front of house to garden is though the kitchen or garage. 

The layouts smallest radius curves will be 4th and I am using medium lenght points. I hope to start this in January.

Peter

Peter - go for electrofrog points if you are using medium radius. I've found these to be so much better that I'm eventually going to change out all the insulfrog points on my layout. Trains pass over the electrofrog points so smoothly that you could not tell where the points are, whereas the old insulfrog points - thud, thud, rattle! (and sometimes stall!).. a little more effort and cost, but very well worth it.

Hi LC & DR

Looks like you believe he who dies with the most trains wins ;-)

Are those real country side houses down the middle or genuine 3D print replicas

They look to be straight, deteriation and warp free unlike the one country side house I have.

As an aside do you know of anyone who could 3d print one before mine deteriates to badly and can't be used to create a replica house.

I had planned to use mine in the back ground but its gone to far for that

regards John

Yes they are real Triang (rubber) Countryside buildings from the 1960s. I got the tunnel too, you might just make it out. It was one of my most expensive purchases! I store them stuffed inside with newspaper to try and stop them warping any further.

Hi modelerxyz

I know a modeller with over 1 scale mile of main line and he said exactly the same thing.

ask any one who posted on this thread and they will say the same thing as well.

I wonder why we all think our layouts are to small and I don't think mindless greed has anything to do with it.

regards John

I have a three circuit main line oval about 14 feet by 6 feet using 2 foot radius curves at a minimum. There is a main station with 5 through platforms and 2 bays, all able to handle 6 coach trains. I dont have a fiddle yard but its DC and the track is sectioned so I can have a few trains on each oval and there are 2 loops at the rear of the oval. 

I then have a single track branch that can be accessed from both directions off the main oval ( a triangle arrangement ) leading to a 11 feet x 4 feet section with a 3 platform terminus that also has an engine shed with a turntable and coaling stage. There is a small goods yard there and a further single track branch leading to a high level 1 platform station on a run round loop with another small goods yard.

That is then the limit as no more space in the loft. There is another similar sized loft room and I did think about removing a brick in the wall and running through but the brickwork looks as if removing one brick could literally mean the house fell down !!! Plus I have enough on my hands keeping the current layout running as it suffers from dirty track and failed soldered connections and points so many operating sessions consist of fault finding and fixing. 

I have two squashed dumbell circuits of approximately 50 linear feet and a visible fiddle yard that can hold a 7 coach train with a Pacific on the end. - all DCC. The fiddle yard is meant to represent the typical rolling stock and loco storage area of a preserved railway. so there are all kinds of odd bits scattered around.

There isn't much scenery, yet, because I'm still fiddling around trying to get the track right. There are some 'plonk and play' buildings scattered around, but every now and then, they get up and move!

Archived