Club Exclusive Products Available Today

david_knight

Well, I've tried and tried to find the Port of London No201 Janus 0-6-0 Diesel GV2015 but to no avail. Has anyone managed to find it - if so can you send me the link please. I've emailed Hornby and only got an automated reply so far. In fact I've just tried all the 'shop now' icons and every one results in 404 Page Not Found. grrrrrr :)

Link

As far as I can see, this model is made by 'Golden Valley Hobbies'....not Hornby. Hence the GV2015 model number. Even though it is indeed listed on the 'Club Collectors Page', so not sure why.

The Golden Valley Hobbies website does not give any indication that there is any 'tie in' with Hornby Hobbies.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Nor for me - I spotted the 'competitor's' loco earlier today but could not get the link to work.  Intriguing that you can buy another manufacturer's product at a considerable discount (but see below) if you are a club member!

The only thing that has changed through the day is the price - if I remember the earlier price correctly it has already risen by £10 although still not far off half RRP.  Perhaps purchases will not be possible until it has risen still further!

I don't think offering tools as exclusive club products is the trick. What needs to be added, is even more exlusive models, that members-only can purchase. Exclusive tools would not entice me to join, unless it was a club dedicated about tools, of which I would never join!  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Just ordered the air brush and tool kit (along with something else). Tried finding them using the number but no joy, Worked with the link and just added them to basket. Been after an airbrush since the '70s just never got round to it. This was such a bargin compared to the same model on other sites, I just had to get one. I'll see how good they are, allways used a sable brush before.

Just tried the link in the email for the Loco and it worked. As did all the others. Just tried search using GV2015, and that worked too.

That link still doesnt work for me....I think the clue is that it only worked for you because you were logged in as Club member.

I am not a Club member.....

That may well be the explanation as it applies to me, too.  Strange policy, as a non-member being able to find out more about what is available to members might just result in membership increasing!  Admittedly the loco can be viewed on GV's website with a little detective work but the wagon pack is not shown

The 'Collectors Web Page' has now been updated.

All references to those non Hornby products including the Janus have now been eradicated from the page, so obviously they were either outdated links or there in error and have been removed as a result of them being reported as broken links.

Chris (Chrissaf) metioned that they have been removed, so all I think as to why the were added, was by mistake. Whatever the reason they are gone and the real reason will probably be unknown.

Brian (walkingthedog), I have just noticed that when I reloaded this page, that you had updated your post. Here is my update:

Yes, the reomval of those products, could also be a mistake.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I suspect that they may have been removed because they had all sold out as a result of the interest generated by the email circulation (which I didn't see by the way).

When I first reported the broken links to Hornby (circled in red in image below), all the items had green 'Add to Basket' buttons. Two hours later, all bar the two Janus items were annotated as 'sold out'. Then as I reported in the post, four posts above. They have all now been removed completely.

I can prove that at the time of reporting the links as broken they were still showing as 'in stock' items as I still have the screen capture I used as part of the report mail I sent to Hornby.......replicated below.......as you can see the green 'Add to Basket' buttons are clearly visible.

/media/tinymce_upload/a05bbb74737bce6f44b4de475de55ea2.jpg

I have a good reason for thinking that the red clickable links were displayed in error. I'm talking about the red URL links themselves and not the products that they relate to. I think it was an error, because if you look very closely at all the red clickable URL links, you will notice that they exactly duplicate the words in the plain text below them in every respect. I suspect that the clickable red links were a HTML image formatting error on the published page and not meant to be there, and that only the plain text below them was supposed to be visible on the page, and that probably also explains why the links were broken. The observation I make that supports that theory is that the products with the red clickable links do not have product images displayed. It is probable that had those red links not been broken, that they would have just been used by the HTML code on the webpage to load the image as per the other products displayed on that page.

Yet again I believe this short lived display of product availability, to be an indication of Hornby marketing underestimating demand. Remember that these particular products were not core Hornby branded items so probably purchased by them as a relatively small batch that quickly sold out due to the demand the circulated email generated. They were probably also marketed on Hornby's Facebook page as well, further generating demand.

it is common practice now for commerical websites to give all images a link which not only allows the user to click on the image to go there, as well as the product description below, also allows assistive technology for the blind to interpret what is there and read out what the image depicts or is called. The image then can be a global image which can be used many times on any part of the website, and can be easily changed by the website owner or operator.

As the items had sold out, maybe there was a technical error in how the out of stock is flagged up, i.e all the system did was remove the product image in the database instead of replacing the product image on the web page with an out of stock image. Perhaps an administrator had accessed the images folder and mistakenly only deleted the image thinking that would delete the product in the listing.

Having finally got around to ordering the Janus and truck pack via the above offer I can confirm that the other items are now showing on the club page with "Pre-Order Now" underneath the image.  Maybe the "Out of Stock" label was the bit that was incorrect and required fixing?

I've wanted one of those Janus diesels for a while and having recently received my PLA liveried Peckett from Hornby, I couldn't resist the chance to pick up a matching loco and wagons at such a keen price.

• 4 weeks later...

That may well be the explanation as it applies to me, too.  Strange policy, as a non-member being able to find out more about what is available to members might just result in membership increasing!  Admittedly the loco can be viewed on GV's website with a little detective work but the wagon pack is not shown

This link does work. If you are a club member, you have to link your club membership number to the account you use to log into the forum.  If you have not linked your login to your club membership, then the link won't work.