HM6000 [basic product parts needed to get started]

Leeberry50

Hi,

I'm sure there will be loads of questions about this so sorry if seems basic.

So I think I just need to buy the HM600/R7292 and the P9100 and that’s enough to control two tracks with (obviously plus a phone)

is that right?

Also what’s (if anything) is the difference between P9000 and P9100 (as I have 5 of the P9000 now)

Thanks

Your existing P9000's are NOT suitable for powering the HM6xxx

The P9000 has an output of 19 volts DC with a max current of 0.5 amps.

The P9100 has an output of 15 volts DC with a max current of 1.0 amps.

The size of the DC Connector output plug is different as well.

Isn't the P9100 the transformer supplied with the eLink?

Yes and with the Select but not with any of the HM6K kit.

If you are savvy with a soldering iron and can find the correct size plug and socket parts you could make a splitter to use the 4-amp power supply to feed up to four HM modules.

Splitters like this are widely available for CCTV but rated 12 v and with the wrong size end fittings...

forum_image_607751ca319f9.png.6f49c28cb5ff2ec657473178230752cc.png

It is possible to download and install the app, which is called "HM ¦ DC" That is, enter <HM>space><vertical line><space<DC> in the play store. However, it is not possible to create any track plans because the app requires you sync your device using Bluetooth before you can do this. There does not appear to be a charge for downloading and installing the app. I think the HM6010 app-based accessory control for controlling up to four points via Bluetooth is of more interest, since the app gives you a track plan and shows which way the points are thrown. The caveat is that your device must meet minimum system requirements which are 2 Gig, preferably 3 gig of RAM, Bluetooth 4.0, Apple IOS 10, or Android 8.0 Oreo. This specification is unlikely to apply to any device more than 5 years old. It is possible to install the app on a Chromebook. I have tried it, but I don't know how well it will work. If it works on a Chromebook, then you will be looking for a Chromebook with a touch screen. Chrome devices have an Auto Update Expiry "AUE" date which varies according to the make of device. There is a list of Google approved devices and their expiration dates on Google's web page. It is important to check that the device you intend to buy does not have an expiration date in the immediate future, such as June 2022, or even in the past, which it can be if it is old stock!

@bexhill

The track-planner is not interactive such that one can then operate the layout from it. It is simply a planner so one can generate a bill of materials of Hornby SKU numbers. Operation is from the loco and/or accessories screens.

Extract from the app blurb...

forum_image_6077eef884f06.thumb.png.102271a3a5f013e532a18eaf2a38e27f.png

There has been a report of the track-planner not working correctly by others awaiting their modules and this is being investigated (ref RM Web forum). A fix when available will be flagged to the app by a hot update.

You are correct "derekr" the male plugs are readily available but the female sockets are 'hens teeth'. I discussed this offline with Rob when he asked me about female sockets for the custom hydra power cable he wants to make. Despite hours of searching neither Rob nor I could find a source from anywhere in UK & EU. The last time we spoke, Rob was going to scavenge a socket from a broken Hornby controller.

Yes they are an odd size. You need a female socket with an outer barrel of 6.3mm diameter and an inner pin diameter of either 3.0mm [preferred] or 3.1mm as a suitable alternative.

Have found both a panel mount socket and an in-line one but both are from America.
Could be expensive on postage.
Derekr.

I found what I thought were good sockets but the inner pin was wrong diam.

If buying from Mouser-US their one-time buy cost can be steep.

If you have a part number maybe we can find same in China. I sourced a cheaper rotary encoder for the Elite using that methodolgy.

This is a patch cable I made to put 15v DC direct to track using as Chris says a socket robbed from a dead eLink. Not pretty but it does the job.

forum_image_6078634f361e0.png.c439d643f4cd169c7b962dfe8c26dd4c.png

It was the Mouser one-off charge for a UK send that put me off before.

Just went through ordering up 10x plugs and 2x sockets from that last link and it was a very reasonable total of $26 then almost $20 postage. Plus any import duty UK levies upon arrival. A definite No-No.

I could probably commission the correct size splitter cables from China - say qty 200 for a unit price a fraction of that. More investigation across the world in the opposite direction.

• 2 weeks later...
Would a C990 power supply 16v 800mA be OK to use?.

Absolutely not.

The 16 volt output of the C990 is AC [indicated by the highlighted ~ symbol] and not DC.

forum_image_608928fc28342.png.d91f05b66e19e9655b0ffd220f406f59.png

Thanks Chris, that's a bit sneaky! What would this be used for?.

Any Hornby controller that uses a SCR [silicon Controlled Rectifier] as the output semi-conductor component. A SCR requires an AC input power source to function. The Hornby C990 is marketed as a power supply for Scalextric controllers, but would also be suitable to be used with the Hornby R965 model rail controller, but only the 'Made in China' SCR output version. The R965 'Made in England' version uses a transistor output component and requires a DC input power supply.

When a SCR is used as the core control output component the clue is in the SCR name. The R standing for 'Rectifier'. Thus the SCR takes an AC input and outputs pulses of rectified AC i.e pulses of DC. The SCR requires the reverse polarity half cycle of the AC input to switch it off in order to create the output pulses [pulses being in essence a sequence of 'on' & 'offs'].