Wish List 2023

Hurricane Boy

Since we have all had a chance to digest the Airfix 2022 catalog announcements yesterday we can start wishing for what we would like to see in the 2023 Catalog.

I have only one...

1/72nd scale HP Hampden

not in 1/48th or 1/24th or 1/144th....just 1/72nd!

This request was broadly supported in this forum in the last 12 months but seams to have slipped through the cracks again.

Here's hoping.

Tim

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's that time again, and I have a few which I think are all mainstream subjects so at some stage would be discussed/decided upon at any future products meeting the Hornby/Airfix Offices.

But I'll leave those for now and join Hurricane Boy in saying I'd just be happy with one :-

HANDLEY PAGE HAMPDEN MK.I in 1:72nd Scale

Let's think, my top 5, which Airfix may possibly release would be;

1. 1/72 Avro Manchester
  2. 1/72 Avro Lincoln
  3. 1/72 de Havilland Venom or Sea Venom (any mark) Hard to get hold of any kit of this RAF/RN staple aircraft
  4. 1/72 Gloster Javelin
  5. 1/72 de Havilland Devon/Dove ( spotted one on an old episode of 'The Crown' my wife was watching and remembered what a beautiful aircraft this is)

My top 5 suggestions would be:-
North American Mustang mk1 …….

Yes this is a really good pick as I don’t believe that there is a good 1/72nd Mustang 1 / p-51a with machine gun armament in the market. I will add this one to my list too.

Hopefully, if Airfix does this kit in the future they would include one markings option for the aircraft that the first ever Mustang victory (by any airforce) was scored… Hollis Hills 414 Sqd RCAF RU-M AG488. Hollis, an American Volunteer in the RCAF remustered with the US NAVY and added four victories while flying (I think Hellcats) off of USS Langley CVL-27 to become an Ace!

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said 1/600 HMS Queen Elizabeth / Prince of Wales

And make sure 1/72 kits of aircraft appropriate to the ship are available at the same time

1/600 Iron Duke and King George V reissue

I like 1/600 ships the parts are big enough that I don't lose them :)

A few manufacturers are making 1/48th German Bombers. Airfix have done quite a few in 1/72, with just the Ju-88A missing. They have looking to British aircraft, as there are still a few holes to fill. Now,a 1/48th Hampden Mk 1 would be a very nice aircraft to add to the range. Maybe the Beaufort MK 1, Beaufighter NF / TF 10 and new tool Mosquito BIV / FBVI could join this in later years.

I liked the Lysander idea for 1/48th. This would go very well with other aircraft from the early war years. An upgrade to 1/48th would be super for the Jet Provost T3 / T4.

In 1/72nd, the Manchester has been missed. It's a shame, as they did fly in the early years until the Heavies came in. It is also a major stepping stone to the Lancaster. A Manchester would be very popular, especially if two fin variations were issued in the kit. To be honest, this kit could be simply made, without the super detailed interior of the Wellington, which really was a major feature of the kit.

I'd love to see a new 1/72nd Hunter F6 appear soon, too.

Also in 1/72nd, I would like to see some new hard plastic figures to go with the Bomber Supply sets. 1/48th RAF Figures and a Landrover would make a superb set for use with the Hunters, Javelin, Gnat T1, Vampire, Meteor, Buccaneer, and Sabre kits. Something similar for the Sea Vixen, Bucc and Sea Fury, would also be popular, I think. Who knows, a new 1/48th Phantom FG1 / FGR2 may appear in a year, or two.

Ships are a problem. It's nice to issue old 1/600th kits, as quite a few people still like these, but new tools to this scale would start the issue of there being no other kits to support them. Issue a new QE / PoW carrier and you'll need to start making Type 45 destroyers, Type 23 and 26 frigates and Astute subs to go with them. A 1/350th version would be better, as there are plenty of kits already available, though Airfix will lose out on revenue when people buy the Type 23s from someone else. Airfix could bring out a new carrier in 1/700th scale, then later a few others to go with them. The change to 1/700 needs to happen if they feel that ships are a good way to go. The older tools could pop up from time to time, or be leased to someone else. Dapol did it with the railway stuff.

I see that our favourite kit maker is bringing in some modified kits with new parts. Great idea. I have a few suggestions. All stuff that I'd like to see, of course, though I do try to consider that they need to sell to keep the money flowing. This is what I reckon.

A new metal wing for the 1/72nd Hurricane Mk I. ( Include decals for some of the aces. ) Then a Fabric wing for the 1/48th Hurricane Mk1.

Back in 1/72nd, a new horizontal tail and new decals to convert the Beaufighter into a night fighter. Possibly Cunningham's, or Gibson's.

As for the super reissues . . . .

Fokker F-27 Friendship in original Aer Lingus markings, with extra markings for a Midland aircraft.

McDonnell Banshee

SRN1

F-84F Thunderstreak

What do we dare ask for a 1/24th superkit?

Will it be a Corsair, P-40B P-47D, or Tempest? Someone mentioned a Beaufighter.

Maybe a jet? Hawk T1 / T1a? Maybe a Hunter F6?

I leave you to dream.

Ships are a problem. It's nice to issue old 1/600th kits, as quite a few people still like these, but new tools to this scale would start the issue of there being no other kits to support them. Issue a new QE / PoW carrier and you'll need to start making Type 45 destroyers, Type 23 and 26 frigates and Astute subs to go with them. A 1/350th version would be better, as there are plenty of kits already available, though Airfix will lose out on revenue when people buy the Type 23s from someone else. Airfix could bring out a new carrier in 1/700th scale, then later a few others to go with them. The change to 1/700 needs to happen if they feel that ships are a good way to go. The older tools could pop up from time to time, or be leased to someone else. Dapol did it with the railway stuff.

Ian

You raise an interesting point on the 1/600th scale ship kits. It seems that Airfix is “kicking the can down the road” on the issue of new ship kits. They continue to re-issue the old 1/600th scale kits or borrow tools (molds) from other manufacturers as they did with the Titanic kits. Conversely, it seems that they have made a decision for new tool armour to be 1/72nd and cars 1/43rd.

Just for full disclosure I am not a model ship kit builder, I only buy ship kits and stick them in the stash….. but the dozen or so that I have purchased including 4 aircraft carriers, three battleships, a bunch of destroyers and a corvette are all 1/700th scale. I am equally interested in the Atlantic and Pacific WW2 ships…. So I have Missouri and KGV…. And Illustrious and Hornet (CV-8) these are both London Treaty carriers and make an interesting study.

Yes the 1/700th are smaller and harder to work on…the photo etched radar for a US Fletcher class destroyer is likely the reason they are not getting any attention.

It will have to wait and see what happens down the road with Airfix ship kits!

I think it would be interesting if Airfix put out the QE/PoW carriers in 1/700th water line with a full hull option and included a hint that the Type 45 destroyer, Type 23 & 26 frigates would follow in subsequent years. This would have global appeal as opposed to the somewhat smaller group of current 1/600th modellers.

They could go back through the previous subjects and update these in 1/700th to the new Airfix quality / accuracy standards. At their price points … they would be popular.

This leaves lots of opportunities for…

Majestic and Colossus Class carriers to be developed …. Almost every country in the world had one or two of them… Axial deck and angled deck

How about the new Type 28 frigates in RN/RAN/RCN service (a few years in future) … those navies haven’t operated the same frigates / destroyers since the WW2 Tribals!

Many of the existing Japanese 1/700th tools were never great kits and could be improved upon … and as I mentioned earlier.. built to the new Airfix quality / accuracy standards and at their price points … they would be popular.

Now Ratch and Sailorman and any other long time 1/600th ship builder…I completely understand if this post somehow gets deleted.

Cheers,

Tim

I like the 1/600 scale, its just that bit bigger than 1/700 and makes it more fun for me.

I get put off working on 1/700 ships (working on a HMS Agincourt atm) as some of the bits are so small, so much so I started an Airfix Victorious mid build. There are also many makers of 1/700 ship kits on many subjects.

I would prefer Airfix to stay in the 1/600 ship(ing) lane. Also for me I consider 1/350 too big to have a large fleet

I agree with David. 1/700 is too small and 1/350 is too big for a sizeable collection. 1/600 was about for donkeys years before the other scales and other manufacturers produced ships in that scale too. New toolings would give the scale a new impetus.

I always look at subjects that fill some gaps for the UK in particular so I think along the lines of the Avro Manchester, Supermarine Scimitar, DH Venom and maybe something a little unusual such as the SA Twin Pioneer in 1/72. Would also be nice to see a Hastings, Beverley (and Belfast !!) but what scale ??? :-)

I always look at subjects that fill some gaps for the UK in particular so I think along the lines of the Avro Manchester, Supermarine Scimitar, DH Venom and maybe something a little unusual such as the SA Twin Pioneer in 1/72. Would also be nice to see a Hastings, Beverley (and Belfast !!) but what scale ??? :-)

Please send us a nice Fairy Battle in 1/72

• 2 weeks later...