Which locos have you fitted hm7000

John-350809

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only had the time to fit one properly so far, my Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy.

With the decoder, the speaker and enclosure, plus a power pack, it’s a very tight squeeze. I can foresee real space issues in smaller locos.

The 8-pin is more difficult to fit than the 21-pin decoder because of the spaghetti of wires it uses.

I have fitted to a Hornby Class 73 used the biggest speaker housing and a powerbank. But had to use a Class 56 soundfile as after many attempts the 73 file would not load.

I might have a go with my Dapol 59 using the Class 66 sound file.

Only had the time to fit one properly so far, my Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy.

With the decoder, the speaker and enclosure, plus a power pack, it’s a very tight squeeze. I can foresee real space issues in smaller locos.

The 8-pin is more difficult to fit than the 21-pin decoder because of the spaghetti if wires used.

@DRC

I have just fitted a rebuilt M/N (Nederland Line) with the 8pin TXS sound decoder and replaced the TXS speaker with a Zimo High Definition 28mm round speaker. It fits perfectly into the TTS speaker space underneath the weight in the tender, therefore leaving plenty of space for the decoder and power pack (not fitted in my case). I enclosed the decoder in the decoder sleeve that used to be supplied with earlier Hornby DCC loco's. All works well, although I may, when feeling a bit more adventurous, put a longer wire to the speaker plug and place a speaker in the loco itself. Although the sound is good, it is fairly obvious it is coming from the tender.

I have just finished adding a Fowler 2-6-4T with power bank and 4f sound file and Ivatt 2MT with power bank and Black 5 sound file.

I have also modified the chuff rates on all of them using the power curve method.

Interesting that these last two sometimes will not move but start to chuff on first applying power. As soon as the power bank charges operation is normal.

I have now set up 6 decoders and all work and the issues I have had are clearly down to me not knowing my way around the app.

2 x Hornby Railroad class 67, 1 x Hornby Class 66. Acres of space in both of these.

Vitrains class 47, couldn’t fit the largest enclosure in this one unfortunately.

2 x Dapol class 73. Whilst there’s not as much space as the Hornby models, the largest enclosure and power bank fit in quite neatly.

All running perfectly. Only thing is, I’ve had to set volumes as low as 40 to avoid distortion.

I have fitted the TT "Blink Bonny" and installed the A1 sound. Works like a charm.

I have also fitted a Trix Class 218 (German) with a 21 pin sound version. I found the class 57 sound file to be the closest.

Some of the lighting functions does not work without additional configuration options. I will probably end up replacing the decoder. Sadly.

The decoder's motor control on the Trix locomotive is amazing. Not a single humming sound from the motor it just works.

Hornby Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class - with M/N sound profile and Zimo speaker - may add power pack today.

Hornby 9F Evening Star - with 9F Sound profile.

The two loco's are running well under both HM7000 and DCC.

Next two loco's to be fitted with 8pin TXS decoders - Class 08 and M7 tank.

Check out you tube video - by Jennifer Kirk - she tries decoders in non hornby trains.- I’m still interested in any make - particularly small steam oo guage locos. Thnx for posts so far.

ps rumours that hornby are making a small board for their decoders - any news

Pre-ordered a Dapol Class 59 GBRf (GM) which was due in March, then told not until 2024. Bought for that a 21pin TXS to load the Class 66 sound file. Have since bought a Dapol Class 68 and temporarily installed the TXS into that and all lights appear to work OK. Cab lights are only via the switches so requires wiring mods or don't use.

Been trying different sound files including Class 66, HST (MTU) and Class 31 which is currently loaded. Got a Bachmann Class 37 so may install it into that when the sound file is available. Decoder works fine on both Bluetooth and DCC. 

@John-350809
ps rumours that hornby are making a small board for their decoders - any news

If you watched the Hornby YouTube Channel "Beyond the Buffers, you will have heard George say that the current decoders were built to the size they are as they were built with the components currently available - there is still a world shortage. He went on to say that 2nd Generation decoders would be smaller. However both George and most other manufacturers cannot say, at this time, when that will be. So I would not hold your breath at the moment.

I have fitted mainly 8 pin

class 56 Hornb Oystermouth#

class 37 bachmann

class 47 bachmann 21 pin*

class 33 heljan

all with smallest speaker enclosures and power banks

using nearest sound profiles available at present

# does not control lights

* had to up cv2 minimum voltage setting to 15

All working well on Bluetooth only, using Hornby recommended 4amp power supply unit. Install was tricky at times due to download glitching but perseverance paid off. Well done Hornby!

I’ve now successfully fitted 7 Sound Decoders into my loco fleet and all are up and running well.

After watching the posts on this forum and a discussion with Hornby, I have decided to fit Power Banks (R7377) whenever there’s enough space to do so, as it seems to help avoiding any power spikes that happen, which caused me a number of issues, sometimes ‘confusing’ the decoders (requiring a full reset).

My resulting Line-up is:

▪️Hornby 2-6-2 Prairie 61xx (8-Pin + Power Bank)

▪️Heljan Class 45 (21-Pin + PB)

▪️EFE Class 35 Hymek (8-Pin + PB)

▪️Vitrains Class 47 (8-Pin + PB)

▪️Vitrains Class 37 (8-Pin + PB)

▪️Bachmann K3 (8-Pin only) (no room for PB in loco, but might try tender later)

▪️Lima Western (with retro-fitted PCB) (8-Pin + PB)

My layout uses the recommended P9300 Power Unit (R7337) and I have the IOS App running on an iPad Pro. I’ve also successfully fitted some upgraded speakers to some of the locos where space permits (using the 20x20x7mm Megabase Mini from Roads & Rail)

I have one more decoder left to fit; to a Bachmann Class 08……this will be more problematic as space is very limited. My plan is to (try to) fit the decoder behind the radiator grill, and the speaker + PB inside the cab….some modifications to the loco will be required for this, though.

EDIT: Class 08 now fitted and up and running. A tight fit for sure, but after drilling a small slot into the cab, the Speaker and PB are now inside the cab and the decoder is squeezed between the PCB and the front radiator grill (with Bluetooth end downwards). All working well.

There’s no doubt that in getting this far I’ve had a number issues (see my other posts) and some decoder failures, but this Forum and Hornby in particular have been brilliant in sorting them out for me. I’m now delighted to have mine all running successfully and sounding great.

Lion and Tiger - just HM7000 as these have built-in speaker

Hogwarts Castle - HM7000, speaker and power bank

W1 Hush Hush - HM7000, speaker and power bank

4F - HM7000, speaker and power bank

Wainwright H Class - still working on this. It’s very tight but planning to fit decoder, speaker and power bank in it but it needs a little modification inside.

Still waiting for 6 pin to come out for my Rocket and Terrier

Hornby J15
Bachmann 3MT
Bachmann Precedent
Heljan NER railcar
Hornby Patriot
Bachmann V2

All with speakers and power banks, and a mixture of Next18, 8 pin and 21 pin
Admittedly they are all running the default sound file (even the railcar) while I wait for the Android app.

Is that the latest V2 with the 21 socket in the loco?

Did you use the fitted speaker or the Hornby one?

I am trying to fit an 8 pin hm7000 decoder in a Hornby 2-6-2 R3721 Prairie. Anyone succeeded? Any help gratefully received.

Yes I have Paul, but into R2737 which is a 61xx 2-6-2 Prairie but an earlier model (from 2009).

The 8-Pin decoder fitted easily in the main body. I put the sugar-cube speaker under the coal load and the Power Bank fits neatly into the cab (the black insulated tape is to hide it).

Assuming the newer version has the same sized body cavities, then all three elements fit well. See photo

forum_image_64501a39357eb.thumb.png.ae7917faf664f38b51c07e2e3135747d.png

MM, the power bank is too large to fit in the available space on the currently released Hornby TT:120 locomotives and I can’t see any future releases having more space available. With 10 wheels collecting power you should not need a powerbank on any currently available TT:120 loco, if you are having power pick up problems then it’s likely a track issue that needs resolving or check that all the wheels are in fact collecting power, the tender plug was not seated correctly on my first A4 so power collection was only via the tender. Pushing the pin in the plug home corrected this