Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

Decided to change track to a more practical design to and from the upper level branch line as per top right of image.

forum_image_64e7289ed9af4.thumb.png.266ed9f9d7d4a18568afdc624e148c90.png

There is a curve where some loco's derail that needs attention, a few more droppers to connect to the power bus and then thats pretty much it and time to move on from track laying.

I have designed this layout so I can run at least 4 locos at the same time on 4 loops. If there is ever a reverse loop module made then there will be 3 reverse loops. I want to be able to leave all my loco's, carriages and wagons etc on the layout and not hidden away in boxes.

I think the next part is fitting point motors. I am thinking HM6010's to control them. Is this a good choice?

• 2 weeks later...

As I am here messing about with point motors I was thinking. As my current set up is DC and the 3 reverse loops I have are not possible until perhaps Hornby release their new RLM autumn next year.

Can I simply remove the dc psu and replace with a dcc one allowing me to fit available rlm's while still using hm7000 to control everything?

Is it that easy 🤪

There isn’t much info about the proposed RLM but thinking about it, a regular RLM flips DCC track phasing as required but a DC powered track usually has manually switched polarity reversal. How does Bluetooth help, apart from give us a handy static node to help with mesh stability. I am keen to hear folks’ ideas on how a universal RLM would work according to which type of power supply it is given.

Thanks.

Would I be able to have RLM's if for example I had a NCE powercab or hormby select controller connected but still use Hm7000 for overall control?

I am guessing there is no way to get any RLM's on my layout.

My light bulb moments has been extinguished 🤕

Yes Chris, RLMs will work with either of these controllers in use to power the layout, or any other DCC controller for that matter. The RLM cares not that you then control via the app rather than the DCC controller.

Further, as the discussion indicates, we are only aware of RLMs working to switch the phase of DCC power. We have no information to say any will work if you use them with any other “AC” or DC power.

PS. Could you please edit your oversized font post back to standard font. You appear to be shouting at us with the post as it is.

Sorry I am a bit confused.

"Further, as the discussion indicates, we are only aware of RLMs working to switch the phase of DCC power. We have no information to say any will work if you use them with any other “AC” or DC power"

I know RLM's do not work on DC and I have no intention to use AC. Are you suggesting RLM's would work if a dcc controller was connected (hardly ever used) with hm7000 being the primary control interface ?

Who would have thought model railways could be so easy 🤣

Text altered 👍

RLMs work with DCC powered layouts, full stop.

Whatever DCC controller is powering it and whether or not it is controlling the locos.

My TT:120 layout is powered by an Elite, it will have a RL controlled by an RLM and the locos will have HM7000 decoders run through the app.

It really is that simple.

• 4 weeks later...

Not had much time to get on my layout due to other things. All track tested and no issues, reverse loop modules work fine aswell. I had a lot of derailing issues on one part of the upper level track (radius to sharp on the flexi track) so took it all apart and now starting to put it back down. I am adding some bridges as I go, the bowstring bridge is not fixed in place yet. I do not plan to fix the long bridge in place until its painted and the track underneath is ballasted etc. I have been experimenting with point motors. MP1's do not work properly via HM6010 - HM7000, cobalt's may be the option via a switch panel as everything on HM7000 may get confusing. Any other alternative motors that will work with HM6010? Thoughts?

forum_image_6522e2991011f.thumb.png.4345981697ebf03857a75f885428deaf.png

• 3 weeks later...

With the dark evenings its all starting to come together at last! Track laying very nearly all done. Just a bridge section in the middle to do for a reverse loop. I set Silver King free to test the curves that have caused me so many issues. All now working well with no issues. Might try some ballasting next.

forum_image_6537fa3260795.thumb.png.48399cbd0ac527906a690fae3dc39cb7.png

Thanks Rallymatt. The bridge is not finished and not fixed in position yet but I like it. With the many hours laying and relaying track I have become good at track laying especially flexi track. I must stop looking at my layout and constantly changing things. Thankfully the track laying is nearly done, 6 months or so later 😀

So impressive to see the progress you've made since April. Your initial post is just some track laying on a board. Now you have a multidimensional track plan, a huge bridge section, sophisticated point work, wiring, DCC, a RLM, and you've mastered the art of the flex track. I'm like you. I've gone through several variations of track plans. I'm now at the point where I'm going to remove some of my set track sections for some flex track from Tillig. I want the concrete sleepers for the parts not around the station. No ballasting yet- I'm keeping my options open! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I have turned my attention to scenery, got bored with 6 months of track laying and not much else.

I have started on the rusty cast iron supports for my long girder bridge. This is my fist attempt at painting and weathering ever! I don't think they are too bad for a complete novice (you may think different)

The 2 grey ones are as they came.

forum_image_654b6ea386533.thumb.png.1f181a347c1300c403cc655930ec519c.png

Chris they look really good and so much better than as supplied! So good I’d like to make a suggestion, could be what you are going to do next, some contrast for the joints to bring out the detail on the blocks you have already developed. Good idea to have a break from track laying when it drags on. 😁

They have already changed Rallymatt and probably will again before a top layer of varnish is added.

And here's the bridge......so far, the supports it is on are not the ones I am currently working on and its not fixed in place yet. Might tone down the black a bit although it does not stand out as much as it does in the photo.

forum_image_654c0b88438f5.thumb.png.c53908279cb97dd563dce1176b1ce534.png

Soon be time to ballast 🤣