Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

I don't know what the forum rules are, but I for one would certainly want to know about bad/poor retailer experiences so we can avoid having to deal with them. Likewise it would be great for people with positve experiences to give a mention to the good retailers so we can support them.

23 minutes ago, Chris98 said:

Unable to do anything with my layout dissapointingly. Ordered some retaining walls at beginning of the month from a retailer (they really should be named to help others but do not know if I can on here) and received nothing and no response to calls/emails. Do not want to risk buying any others as just my luck I end up with double the amount then have to foot a returns bill or unable to return them due to zero communication thus far. They are at model world live, perhaps one of you could shout at them for me? 😀

I need these as I complete my layout section by section and in a specific order so that everything fits together.

I am also waiting for a custom built control panel for my points which after ordering in January apparently will not be ready for up to another 6 weeks due to stock shortages.

It is all so very frustrating at the minute! 😒

I bet i could guess they are based in the South West

If it’s a genuine ‘poor seller’ issue then I am sure it’s in the spirit of the hobby and forum to advise others. You can always contact your bank and get a reversal on payment in respect of the issues you are having. I was forced to do that with Modelux after constant issues and then they refused to reply. 

• Like 1

We feel your pain @Chris98! If the order was made with a credit card payment you may be able to reverse it. Small companies are often struggling to keep up with demand and if so communication is commonly the first thing to fall by the wayside. Had a similar issue a few months back with Modelux. Their models are genuinely pretty good though, even if Comms left something to be desired. 

Companies should not be taking the money if they cannot fulfil orders in a timely manner or at all. I am not the only one they are doing it to! (check reviews) It's deceitful, dishonest and wrong. I know I will get my money back as it"s covered by my bank although I have to wait 30 days. That's the frustration, not being able to do anything to my layout whilst waiting. Oh well one more week to wait and then I will probably be moaning I have too much to do 😂

• Like 1

Purchased retaining walls from a reputable company and they are arriving Monday so my layout gets going again.

Still heard nothing from the other one despite emails and phone calls that remain unanswered. Oh well you learn! Never order from them again.

• Like 2

Right, after the lengthy delays caused by others the retaining walls are now built and waiting to dry. Building six in one go was some effort and has taken a fair few hours. Next is to put the copings on, finally fix in place on my layout and move onto the next part. Hooray!

20240502_202900.thumb.jpg.316f38ae4a770e10dcf852e96e0d98af.jpg

• Like 3

Retaining walls now in place. Will look different again when ballasted up to walls and finer detail added. A little subsidence in the middle section caused by burning my finger on the hot glue then too late to rectify as it had set. I can live with it and it's not really noticeable.

20240503_175006.thumb.jpg.00cdd484fa59b8e4514aa0c13bc17fba.jpg

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 4

Single track girder bridge painted, weathered and fitted. The diy wooden support underneath will be changed in due course and is only a temp measure. 

20240504_090315.thumb.jpg.ea14e067e4dbaa220e4aa63cd220f4d3.jpg

I am probably going to grass over the rocky embankment as it would fit in more with the back scene but thats a future job 😀

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 2

A year after getting into this hobby having never done any modelling here is my first short video of Crescent Valley Line with the first loco's I purchased. Have I enjoyed it? Yes, every minute although all the droppers/track laying got a bit repetative but I became very good at it 😂

The upper level is now operational as per the video albeit some point motors still need fitting.

The lower level is still work in progress and half way through having all the point motors fitted so non operational presently. 

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 7