Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

• 2 weeks later...

It is straightforward to have a reverse loop, wiring is dead easy either for DC or DCC but, because you have sidings and a yard ‘within’ your loop you would be restricted to only one loco operating in that area.

Few basic rules of Reverse loops,

The loop must be completely electrically isolated from the rest of the layout, (IRJ or gapped rails, both rails and each end)

The longest train to use the loop must be fully contained within the isolated section

Only one loco can operate within the isolated section

Only one loco can operate within the isolated section

True for DC of course, don't think this is true for DCC though of course you only want one loco/train entering or exiting and flipping the polarity - the same as the rule about no train longer than the loop.

Nick, not one I have tried myself but did read quite a lot on a few different US resources where storage yards were used within a RL zone and it was advised as problematic and suggested to isolate the main loop line from storage sections. I wondered if it caused a problem on some RL Modules?

@ Nick, I would think that too and surely even older motors are not pulling too much current and 1 amp should cope. Thinking about it, I wonder if the US guys were having issues with the old Bachman RLM that is relay driven rather than solid state? I tried one and it was pants, too slow, sent it back and got a Lenz one and it’s spot on. The other consideration of course is it could be the old the scare stories that some DCC experts like to put about… maybe I was taken in too!

Take a look at Chris Saf’s excellent RL sticky in the DCC forum.

Two things on DCC and one on DC if you make an entire shunting yard your RL:

• RLMs can control the entire 4 Amps (includes the new HM7000 version?) on DCC so no limitations there
  • you can only have one train entering/leaving the RL at the one time or an RLM on DCC will haemorrhage trying to keep up with the multiple phase reversals
  • on DC, you may need to stop the entire layout while you switch polarity in the isolated section in order to have any train cross.

I have learnt so much about track laying. After looking at why my loco's occasionally derailed on my curves I found that the curves were not true eg R3,R4 etc. At certain parts the set track was alot tighter than the nominated curve and this has been causing the de railing. Any way most has now been taken up and relayed properly. I have 2 sections of flexi track where I bent the rail end slightly upwards at the joins which I need to change as this causes derailing everytime. It's really hard to see the bend and it does not look too bad. Obviously my loco's think otherwise.

Next is to finish lower level track laying and wire in all the droppers. Heres my latest addition, Flying scotsman.

forum_image_64a68e10a1fd5.thumb.png.d6e621945ec27725bf691f234daf8778.png

Another thing you can do to really help good running through curves is to include transitions, that’s why I tend to like flexi. Essentially the radius is not constant, as it comes off a straight the radius is more open and tightening to the mid point then begins to open out leaving the curve. It’s a feature in real railway practice and helps guide locos into a bend rather than the front wheels slamming into the inside edge of the outer rail, which is what causes derailments in 1:1 and smaller scales 😁 You can achieve a similar idea with set track by using different radii pieces through the curve.

Great progress on the layout 👍

RallyMatt: as someone who is obviously very talented at all this, I really appreciate the time you take to encourage folk in this forum. Don’t think I’ve seen a negative post from you yet. For those of us finding our way, it’s greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Slow progress but all track is now just about laid. I am fed up of glue, soldering irons, droppers and those tiny track joiners that should come with a health warning. I placed some buildings on my layout and it came to life as did my enthusiasm.

I have planned for 2 reverse loops as and when those hm7000 modules are released.

Next is the scenery...........

forum_image_64da3e3950142.thumb.png.c003898e5e2fb3d57d8aae7bcd80bffb.png