Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

Rocks made and in position. Awaiting sculpting plaster to fill the gaps then aim to paint it all.

forum_image_65a1827df197b.thumb.png.c6bc3fc05cc1bf486072f233837d7efe.png

I have had a go at painting some spare plaster rock I made from the moulds. This is the outcome after only one attempt.

forum_image_65a18285ccad3.thumb.png.a9271450a3677d4090f82f21fca9c4ca.png

I am really chuffed with it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is how it's looking as of today. Numerous buildings painted although not all are where they will remain, platforms made, the raised reverse loop finished with painted bridge now in place. Loads to do still and this is only a third of the layout. Next steps are finishing the new rock/road bridge area, finishing the station area and adding two surface motors that I can hopefully hollow out part of the platform to hide them underneath.

forum_image_65c600e969594.thumb.png.380ecaa2a52e831a5a0d68f85f87db46.png

I will keep posting updates for all to see on here. I am not a you tuber but appreciate those that are as the knowledge they have is invaluable.

I need to fit some surface point motors in the upper station section, sort out the buildings, do I need more? and where they should go. Then it's station car park/roads/path and grass which I have ready, a few trees here and there, telegraph poles perhaps a signal or two (waiting for these to become available) These final parts will bring it all to life.

It is very hard to focus on one part, I did not plan to do the new rock embankment but there it is 😂 Anyway I will finish the lower goods/shunting area and upper branch station area first then move on to the rest of the layout which is under all of this and will have 2-3 more stations and a large engine shed area.

forum_image_65c74076c4f51.thumb.png.c514dc9a99bc0139d6f1a122fcc49eeb.png

I am really enjoying the scenery building part, it is far more interesting than laying countless metres of track. I do little bits often, that way I do not loose interest. Everything I do is for the first time as I have not built any layout or modelled before. I have also designed a control panel for my layout which will control all of the points. I cheated a little due to time and this is currently being built professionally by a well known company I chatted with at Warley.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress at last!

Had other matters that have kept me occupied and away from my layout. Branch line station platforms hand made and finished. They conceal 2 Cobalt ss motors underneath. Tried so many different roads that in the end went for a grey paint as this turned out to be the best looking. Area ballasted with a different colour to the bottom layer (grey) so its not all the same.

After holding off with the grass I thought I would give it a go the WW scenics way. Very impressed how easy it was and how it

20240302_202947.thumb.jpg.cd2c44219ff4dab844f787660cfaa50b.jpg

instantly transfoms everything. Tree making next and then the fine detail before moving onto the next bit which is the goods area.

• Like 7

WW Scenics applicator and their grasses are stand out over alternatives. I do really recommend using scenic cement with static grass. It really does work better than let down PVA and I am a big fan of PVA for many things 😁. Layout is looking really good. I love seeing other peoples creativity come to life, I do think the scale is more of a modellers scale than a collector scale and that’s more pleasing. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Starting to get somewhere now. I have been busy fitting over 14 cobalt IP motors which I have yet to wire but thats a doddle compared to all the droppers. 

Just finished ballasting the goods/shunting area, upper reverse loop and a section at the bottom of the retaining walls. Also fitted/made and painted the upper level reverse loop brick bridge and rocks. Still need to grass the embankmemt when all the ballast has dried.

I am waiting for bits so I can put some foliage on the trees the "rallymatt way" which will then be placed on the green area near the branch line station and elsewhere.

Obviously there is loads more to do and next I plan to carry on with the retaining wall and move on and start the other half scenic wise.

I plan to fit tunnels/bridges/point motors etc then ballast. I can then concentrate on the finer detail. At the minute I am getting too focused in this small section.

Any ideas for other buildings in these areas are welcome, especially the goods yard area as that looks very sparse. (None of the buildings are permanently in place)

20240322_173811.thumb.jpg.46c28a89332572acbe1430734677d83b.jpg

Edited by Chris98
  • Like 3

Looking good 👍

if you are looking for other buildings, you could put a coal depot, diesel tanks (if running diesels) maintenance platforms, small warehouse/storage building etc in that area ...

Last one. This is the retaining wall (not fitted) which I am extending next behind the area in the last pic and hidden from view.

Finer detail and alterations at a later date to this area.

Screenshot_20240322_192826_Gallery.thumb.jpg.185d56d2432e8cf5334b03ef20dc4888.jpg

Ideas for buildings. I bought loads of Lyddle End (Hornby’s old N gauge) industrial/farm/station buildings and swap them here there and everywhere until I’m content. Some images for scale attached. Non residential are more scale variable friendly than houses  

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1657.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

IMG_1655.jpeg

Edited by Skelton Junction
Addition.
  • Like 3