Crescent Valley Heritage Railway

Chris98

I have started my layout. Although I planned the layout on anyrail things look diffrrent when the track is in place. Never done this before and its a slow project. I am waiting for straights so please ignore some of the track as I placed this to give a visual idea. I am happy with it so far. There will be tunnels at one end and an incline that travels above them to a branch line station. I am also thinking of making a reverse loop so I can turn locos. No doubt things will change.

forum_image_644be995acfb1.thumb.png.26d6d855485ddd73e76aad8f7fa41da1.png

A view of one end

forum_image_644be99e232fb.thumb.png.da28be4e9f4eb51b2311ce8aebaa06ce.png

And the other

forum_image_644be9a63c885.thumb.png.db589793efec3c71474cf27a36a57969.png

I had thought about peco flexi but it would play havoc with my "ocd" with the slight difference. I did consider using peco throughout but the points being longer do not allow the layout I want. Hopefully I will not have to wait too long.

Bit late to swap points, oh well.

Albeit the incline would run along the back and not the front as seen using a tape measure. As a very rough estimate it has to rise to 50mm over 2.2mtrs. I will give it a go as things progress.

forum_image_644cdbf860890.thumb.png.0422db2b396a9849cfdd4704a3152895.png

👍 a great motto in many endeavours is ‘Progress not Perfection’ Remember to get the additional sleepers and people report using the Hornby fishplates makes the whole thing a lot easier. Some purpose made track cutters mean you can get a nice clean cut on the rail (Xuron or DCC Concepts are just two options)

• 4 weeks later...

Progress so far.

I have started to fix the cork under the track and solder all the drop wires. The curves at each end were an absolute nightmare. I could not get the flexi track to bend to the correct radius despite using track templates, so I decided on set track. It will be hidden by tunnels/hills so wont be seen anyway. I hope to get the three loops finished so I can run some trains. I am planning a 2% incline with an upper level reverse loop but that will come later.

forum_image_646baa6a1c3e7.thumb.png.2fb72fb235f40d2b832712e0bc66999d.png

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress.....Backscene put up today and started to fix/glue track in place

All the droppers are in, there are loads of them. Next is to finish the lower level trackwork and then start on the incline and upper level. I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt.

forum_image_648361e3bd45a.thumb.png.5e9cf1bcb02c3a522a8a7f7919aba57e.png