Simon Kohler "Mr Hornby" to retire.

Really sorry to hear this but I can imagine that with TT & HM7000 both launched he feels like he has done what he set out to do when he returned to Hornby. The company is in a far better position than it was when he returned and they did well to tempt him back. I note it’s 5 years since he rejoined, so I would not be surprised if this has been his plan/agreement with them all along.

All the best for Simon, his inspirational push for excellence in Hornbys' products was the deciding factor i opted to go TT120 otherwise i would not have even contemplated taking a hobby on board such as modelling trains.

Im a stamp collector of Victorian ' Line engraved' and 'Surface Printed' stamps from 1840 to 1901. Since watching Hornbys product developments on TV, i wonder with curiousity could i model a train way, since 'OO' to large for available space at home TT129 seem a good idea.

So i took the plunge and awaiting delivery of items ordered, Am selling my stamps to further fund the TT120 addiction.

Hope Simon has a great retirement.

A big pair of shoes to fill, there will be few with his depth of knowledge of the Toy and Model Railway industry. Nothing is forever and I am sure he deserves a bit of a break from the pressure of bringing ground braking products to market.

The most helpful man of any modelling company that I know. Simon has really earned his retirement and I hope that he has many happy years to come in that role. Hornby will be the poorer for his departure and his successor will have very much to live up to. My very good wishes Simon.

Have a happy retirement Mr Kohler and trust you have negotiated a good discount on your future Hornby purchases as part of your retirement package!

Hopefully he will still be willing to take the odd phone call from Hornby HQ so that his experience and wisdom will not be entirely lost.

What I would like to know is who Hornby have got lined up to take over the SK role as front facing person and main ideas and listening person. That individual has big shoes to fill and will become the next “Mr Hornby”.

Basically that person will be for Hornby what Steve Jobs was for Apple. Tim Cook is doing a decent enough job but he is not Steve Jobs. The challenge will be over the next few years to out Simon SK if that is at all possible!

I've been waiting for the news to hit the web before I posted this. I wish Simon a long and happy retirement, had many chats over the years with Simon, and a last VIP visit to the factory in 2018. As most here will know I am not far behind with full retirement looming in the next 5 to 7 years. Sadly as humans we cannot carry the baton forever, it's up to younger people to keep our hobby moving on. The person who is going to take over Simon's role has big shoes to fill.

Wishing Simon a happy and well deserved retirement, although it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't come back as a consultant wink.

I'm sure the business will have been planning for Simon's departure for many months. No doubt he will be missed though.

I guess it is not surprising but he has done a great job promoting Hornby over the years. Some do not like him but I just think he is great sales and marketing person. I would like to think that the various model railway programmes he has been involved with over the years, including the second, successful Barnstable to Bideford attempt, along with the much two more recent A Model World series, must have helped modelling as a whole. May he have a long and happy retirement. I also wish whoever takes over my best wishes. Perhaps it will be Montana.

I can definitely see Montana stepping up. She's got a good head for business and has a background in promotions as well plus she's very approachable at shows. She also knows the brand from working closely with Simon so she'd be a natural choice. That's if she wants the job, of course.

I'm reliably informed that Simon is taking his consultancy business out of mothballs so he's not retiring from model railways so he's definitely keeping his hand in.

• 2 weeks later...

what sad news. He’s the one that has made Hornby what it is today. Hornby is even bigger and better then before. It has it’s own TV show for crying out loud. Yeah you may get your odd faulty loco but Hornby locomotives coming out today are much better than have been before. It will be really sad to see him leave. 😢

Call me cynical, but I'm suspecting several of his 'green light projects' had been changed to 'amber' ...

There's always a lead time, but several appear to be gathering cobwebs.

All the very best to Simon, and all of the above compliments are very well founded and deserved.

Al.