Let's Talk TT Video

GMD

18 minutes ago, GMD said:

@Silver Fox 17 It was done just this week - on Monday. What comment caught your eye? 

The issue of the Stanier wheels catching as Carl mentioned he would like to know what has been done and where to the underframe to rectify the scraping. I sent photos 2 weeks ago to Hornby and was told they had passed it on to the correct department with video and photos showing what I had done.

I did get a reply saying they were going to take a few "off the shelf" to see if they noticed the issue or if "it was just my coaches". Listening to the video it seems they did know there was a problem especially as they did insert a washer to try to alleviate the scrapping so not just mine. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Silver Fox 17 - yes they were very clear that they knew there was an issue - which came to light between getting running samples and final decorated samples. Hopefully your photos help them. I'm assuming that Carl was wondering if they was anything additional to that.  

The washer is clearly in response to gain extra vertical clearance so it was obvious the issue was known prior to release. And yes the wheel sets are disappearing up inside the bogies too much. I wonder if Hornby would offer retro fit modified bogies or even axle cups to allow us to rectify this, it would also work on the draggy tankers 

Hello all, they did touch on some other information, some of which will be addressed in further interviews, but of course firstly we were trying to keep this episode as close to an hour as possible, and also we really want to keep this channel of communication as unhindered as possible, so I hope you understand we need to consider their marketing strategies as business plans when me & Greg are editing. 

• Like 1

On one hand it was great that Martyn said leave in the bit concerning issues on the 10t tankers and stanier 50’. But it would have been nice to have had a follow up with a fix for those already sold. I know people have a range of the tankers but more than a few and a Hornby loco can’t pull them. I have done a lot of fettling on the 14 Mobil ones I have and they are much better but to pull all 14 I need the might of a Piko diesel (heavy with traction tyres) a retro fix would be a nice offer rather than nothing though. I couldn’t source the size brass axle cups that I am sure will fix the issue, maybe Hornby could? Or offer of replacement chassis if the issue has been fixed. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Extra comment

Good job guys, nice to see them being upfront and addressing things, something we (or maybe just me)  feared may not be the case after SK left.

It certainly looks like TT120 is in safe hands, and your questions covered a lot of ground 👍

Edited by Too Tall
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rallymatt said:

I couldn’t source the size brass axle cups that I am sure will fix the issue, maybe Hornby could?

Hi Rally - any idea if this would necessitate "excavating" the under frame to fit the brass cups, or would it be the sort of thing that could simply be dropped in place? Happy to ask if we get another opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I couldn’t source the size brass axle cups that I am sure will fix the issue, maybe Hornby could? Or offer of replacement chassis if the issue has been fixed. 

I use Peco NR-91 bearing cups for N gauge 3D printed models. They're tiny little things 🙂  I'm sure they would do the job with just a tiny amount of drilling out of the existing bearing.  Here are some fitted to a "Loco Buggy" 

IMG_6202.JPG.d523013fb438d4d813f84180e90ed726.JPGIMG_6212.thumb.JPG.7a0eaf9b71d6ba037df51475b0c8d177.JPG

I've also got some old Romford bearing cups but they're more like carbon brush sized things. 

• Thanks 1

@GMD, it depends on each moulding to how much material needs removing. I’ll try some of the ones Nick has suggested, Ingot several different ones from Peters Spares a while back but they were all too big. 

2 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

One question I noticed was asked but I never saw an answer to was the BR Blue 08 being removed from the web and if it would return.

Hi Tim. Yes it seems like it was lost because we didn’t specifically reference it again, but basically yes, it will (or perhaps with another TOPs number) return at sometime in the future. Basically everything produced at some point in some way will never really ever be “taken off the books” just might not make that years catalogue. 
I think my idea of it returning in a set is unlikely to bare fruit. More likely that job will be filled by a slightly smaller simpler boxier 0-4-0 diesel 

Edited by Peachy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peachy said:

Hi Tim. Yes it seems like it was lost because we didn’t specifically reference it again, but basically yes, it will (or perhaps with another TOPs number) return at sometime in the future. Basically everything produced at some point in some way will never really ever be “taken off the books” just might not make that years catalogue. 
I think my idea of it returning in a set is unlikely to bare fruit. More likely that job will be filled by a slightly smaller simpler boxier 0-4-0 diesel 

fingers crossed then it will return. I joined the party just a little late to be able to buy one. I will certainly get an era 7 or 8 if they release one.

8 hours ago, LTSR_NSE said:

How do you get ‘boxier’ than an 08? 🤔

Dock Shunter perhaps? 🤷‍♂️

I’ve got no idea… maybe something with a big square central cab, but that wouldn’t be an 0-4-0 would it? 

you guys did great i really enjoyed it ,nice chat with carl and martin .

so refreshing ,it cleared a few things up for  me and the rest of the TT120 community i hope towards the missing items in the catalogue.

if they had a factory hornby could order what they  liked its the same  with the chips a small fish in a very big sea lol i did not get the joke until i read it ,when i saw the class 66 in gbf it was 😍 got to get one

so they are going to look at the wagon side frames and make them of metal maybe with plastic on top has detail parts ,what carl said about the 50' brake lowering the bogies with a washer ,i had a look on msl on the tillig page the same mail coach TT16818 HO 74961 ,the tt one you can see all of the wheel  flanges below the body  and in the ho  one you can't see the tops of the wheels the rest are not so clear cut 

so i think the TT wheel bogie passes under the body on bends  where the ho one does not  it stays inside it  maybi  rallmatt  or peachy can have  a look  my eyes a not so good ,if so hornby should get a few to compare with tilig have been at it for years  thanks guys

• Like 2

peachy what about a bagnall  shunter hornby  they have got one line up for this  year in OO at £34 pounds in the  railroad range It looks very nice to me ,

all they have to do is turn the printer down to 67% i think   and add three  trucks an ovel of track a controller  a track mat all for  less than a £100 pounds  win win for hornby😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, happy tt said:

all they have to do is turn the printer down to 67% 

Errr, no, that's not all they've got to do! Apart from the fact that just trying to reduce it may not work, think wall thicknesses, etc., there's also the design, testing and manufacture of a completely new chassis! You'd be looking at a minimum of 12/18 months lead time (check out what they said in the video about production times) and even then there's no guarantee that it would be a worthwhile investment. In due course they may well make something, but it's more likely to be an existing model (probably an 0-6-0T) and it won't be for a while.

If there's one thing you should take from that video is that it's not simple to make new models, there's a lot of time and effort involved. If it were so simple then Heljan would have already launched their Class 31 as it would only involve "downsizing" their 0 scale one, but it isn't!

@ hobby  1707822967  sorry it was a joke lol 😊 in anwser to peachy post about if a 040 dock shunter  will be in a set. i know it takes a lot of time to make model trains sorry for the misunderstanding  i have been in this hobby for thirty years i wish printers🙂 could do it  all  lol  060  will be in a set 

Edited by happy tt
to add a lol to it 060
  • Like 1

I said before that most promising candidate for a freight set would be the class 66, it’s a steal at even the latest price. The 08 is a surprisingly expensive model to make, I never thought about it until you start to break it down into processes. The plastic is the cheap bit. 

• Like 1

I have only just made it through the whole interview as I have been busy running in my excellent Scotsman set. It is an  interesting and refreshingly candid hour. The impression I came away with is that here is a company determined to make the scale work. It was also interesting to hear of the very real production challenges that are being encountered and how they are dealing with them.

The other feeling I came away with is that the engineering side has taken over some of the control from marketing. You need both but I think the evidence from the previous fly-on-the-wall TV coverage suggests the balance used to be wrong. I feel significantly more confident for future of TT:120 for seeing this, and I was already fairly confident.

So - thank you.

• Like 2

Agreed great video! 👍

Extremely positive to see both of them being willing to be honest about difficulties & also explaining how they are making improvements.  Really builds confidence that they care about customers (& company reputation.)

It also completely destroys any criticism about Hornby potentially lacking commitment to the scale - they certainly wouldn’t waste money on improving models, if they were really only interested in extracting the maximum profit for the minimum investment!

Edited by LTSR_NSE
  • Like 4