TT120 train sets galore

Moccasin

With today’s announcement and with stocks (apparently very healthy stocks) of the Scotsman sets and with the Easterner sets on pre-order, Hornby will likely have 6 TT120 sets available for the Christmas season.

With RRPs ranging from £195 to £340, thats a pretty good offer for starter sets. I wonder if any of the national retailers will start stocking any? John Lewis are selling the OO Red Rover freights, the Entertainer currently have a couple too, as do WHSmith/Modelzone.

It does seem to be high time that they get TT120 on sale in these stores now that they seem to have supply sorted. 

Yikes. That is a bargain. Buy the sound fitted version and get 2 coaches, power, all the track etc... for just £10.

It's slightly cheaper than the price for the HST set and 2 coaches with the old 15% discount if you ordered after last years price rise. I got my HST for £80 due to a large number of points I needed to get rid of late last year, otherwise I would also have been annoyed!

Yes, it's a bit annoying.

My preorder for 2 coaches plus the Class 43 HST set (still unopened!) works out at £4.23 more than the new digital set. That was with the discount too before it ended.

Obviously I'd then get 2x TS coaches instead of what I've currently got on preorder but still. With me still debating DC vs DCC for my new layout, I'm tempted to return my HST and cancel 2 of the coach preorders and order the non-digital set instead.

Edited by moawkwrd

4 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Yes, it's a bit annoying.

My preorder for 2 coaches plus the Class 43 HST set (still unopened!) works out at £4.23 more than the new digital set. That was with the discount too before it ended.

Obviously I'd then get 2x TS coaches instead of what I've currently got on preorder but still. With me still debating DC vs DCC for my new layout, I'm tempted to return my HST and cancel 2 of the coach preorders and order the non-digital set instead.

If you don’t need it right now, then that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. You could even pre-order both just in case and then cancel one of them nearer to the time, when your thoughts are clearer 

13 minutes ago, StuLarge said:

That's just asking for a surprise announcement Coca-Cola train 🤣

Sorry couldn't help myself.

If it helped attract even more new (cough) ‘adult’ modellers to want a TT:120 layout… I can’t see why a coke liveried 08 & tankers etc would be such a heresy?

Not suggesting anyone would (or not) want such a thing, but the OO ones seem a permanent fixture (like Santa’s Express) so unless they contribute to Hornby’s multimillion stock mountain, they must be fairly popular!

5 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

If it helped attract even more new (cough) ‘adult’ modellers to want a TT:120 layout… I can’t see why a coke liveried 08 & tankers etc would be such a heresy?

Not suggesting anyone would (or not) want such a thing, but the OO ones seem a permanent fixture (like Santa’s Express) so unless they contribute to Hornby’s multimillion stock mountain, they must be fairly popular!

They’re stocked by the national retailers mentioned above too, so must be decent sellers and worth paying the licensing fee for

I am not a fan of the Coke Cola or Beatles stuff but…. And it’s a big but.. it sells, a lot! Generally using old tooling models so after the licence fee, not expensive to make. It generates great incomes for Hornby and it does get people playing with trains so it’s absolutely part of the hobby. All TT:120 models are finescale new toolings so the figures might not work but who knows? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I think there will be a goods shunting set out by end of year, maybe 2/3 sets of points and some lovely wagons 😁 

Are you thinking green 08? Looking at the value it may be worth waiting especially if there are exclusive wagons… possibly newly numbered BR vans and a brake? Of course it would be DC only at this point due to lack of chip for that size. It would be a good starter set and possibly under the £200 mark.

• Like 1

It’s a musing rather than any inside information. But an 08 with a range of the existing wagons would be an easy set to make up, the key being at least 2 or three sets of points in the set. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hobby1707822967 said:

Forget the train sets, just deliver me that Duchess and matching coaches!!! 

There's one Duchess loco from the (4)6230-34 batch with continuous footplate modelled by Hornby not yet announced.

Preserved 6233 Duchess of Sutherland, it could be a train set exclusive. It'll be a big draw because it's a regular performer on the national network

• Like 1

Re: The TT1004TXSM Digital Class 43 set. Web Page. If you scroll down to 'Train Features', it showing the same spec as the non digital TT1004M. Read somewhere that it would only have one decoder, powered end. So gave Hornby a call this morning and their tech guy, Christian, confirmed that it would have 2 decoders. My moto is Never Assume Anything (Assumption is the Mother of All Foul ups 🙄). Hope this info is useful. 

• Thanks 2

The description of the 125 sets is much better in Train Terminal Blog. Hornby really do need to get a grip of their website , I feel a lot of this could be down to a 3rd party ‘running’ it. 

48 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

The description of the 125 sets is much better in Train Terminal Blog. Hornby really do need to get a grip of their website , I feel a lot of this could be down to a 3rd party ‘running’ it. 

Content should be driven by the product owner, the 3rd will only do what they are told, if Hornby say put a pink fish in the middle of the page they will. I would suspect the content is published by Hornby via A Content Management System.

Just checked the 'Blog' and even there the TT4004TXSM is described as having "a, (singular), HM7000 decoder and a, (again singular), sugar cube speaker. Probably from where the first miss information originated. Shod proof reed every fing befour pub lishing 🙄😂

On 03/04/2024 at 10:05, taunmarc88 said:

Are you thinking green 08? Looking at the value it may be worth waiting especially if there are exclusive wagons… possibly newly numbered BR vans and a brake? Of course it would be DC only at this point due to lack of chip for that size. It would be a good starter set and possibly under the £200 mark.

The 08 is DCC  ready for 6-pin decoder.